Tinnitus

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jem90

Reaction score
Do you guys worry about Tinnitus affecting your hearing?

I was in bed last night and the ringing was very prominent I know its easier to hear at night because of the quiet but it is a concern.

:confused:

Jem, I too get it every once in awhile. I do worry a bit though since my Dad has it damn near all the time.

Jem, I think we all worry about this.

I have this problem as well, and I started a post a year ago about how I attempted a cure for it. ;)

The good news is that if you are able to fully manage the noise exposure, it does indeed get better. And one can aggravate it by playing the system too loud.

Since I put in acoustic treatments this winter, I've noticed less of a problem, partially because I can play the system softer with greater detail, now that the room ringing is gone.

In many ways, the 'ringing' in the ears is exacerbated by room 'ringing' in the mid and high frequencies.

I personally believe that our speakers are actually capable of so much clean high-frequency content, radiated in such large quantities in a dipole fashion, which if not acoustically well managed in the room, can indeed cause resonances and overload at certain frequencies. These higher pressure room resonances can fatigue the ear, and if exposed to it long enough, cause tinnitus.

The cure is to start treating the room correctly as well as ensuring placement is ideal.

Unfortunately, it takes some measuring equipment to really tell what placement and / or treatments are improving things and at what frequencies.

About 5 years ago I had a really severe case of it; it sounded like someone was grinding metal right next to my ears. For about two weeks I thought I would go crazy. Fortunately it has subsided substantially, but I can still hear it in the background; it is worse when I am under stress. One thing I have found that can make it go away for over a day at a time is a combination of Swedish and Shiatsu massage. I found a wonderful massage therapist who is located 120 miles away, but it is well worth the drive.

I don't have the ringing, but I do have the high frequency "ticking" or "whooshing" that sounds like static. The strange thing about that is it only happens when exposed to moderate levels of music or conversation while in certain vehicles (Looking at JonFo's other post it makes sense). It is only in my right ear and does not effect my home listening (at least not yet thank God).

You know this thread is an important one, for care of our hearing is without a doubt one of the most important parts to the enjoyment of our hobby.

As a member of the "over 50 club" I can attest to the need for proper and effective wax removal on a regular basis, hot water and a syringe works for me.

Also I have on ocassion had a problem with fluid build-up behind my ear drum(feels like swimmers ear) which reguires a prescription strength anti-histimine to allow it to drain.

man-o-man if this is what the mid-fifties are about I can't wait till sixty plus rolls around !!

I am careful. I properly set up system with the right room can sound outstanding at 80 to 85 db . I know I use a RAT SHACK meter to test. Sure I can do more but at that level its as if I am live in a good hall or jazz club.

My advice get one of these for more than just SPL measuring. I test all my speakers with pink noise and test tones to see where they loose or gain in my room. It makes placement that mush better. You can tell in a minute if a panel is down a few db that can throw off the stage and drive you nuts trying to balance the room. It also allows you to use it as a microphone and use REW(room equalization wizard). Its a software that does sweeps and test tones with waterfall plots and sine wave plots. JonFo has did a lot with this.

I got this one at RatShack it is digital and runs about $50.00 . Its well worth it.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...+meter&kw=sound+level+meter&parentPage=search

As a member of the "over 50 club" I can attest to the need for proper and effective wax removal on a regular basis, hot water and a syringe works for me.
Dave, the approved method is to use mineral oil to soften the wax so it falls out on its own. I have had my ears syringed by a doctor, and definitely do NOT recommend it as it is painful, and I'm convinced that it does some damage.

I was really pleased when a few years ago, also as a member of the "over 50" club, I was told by an audiologist that I have the hearing of a child! Music has been important to be from the time I was a little kid, so I have always jealously guarded my hearing.

Tinnitus can be linked to (weak) seritonin production which can be increased by the use of hydroxitryptophan 5-HTP (50 - 100mg 3 times/day). In addition Ginko Biloba is an effective vasodialator that increases blood flow and oxygen to the brain and the cochlear mucosa which protects against tinnitus. Suggest you Google > tinnitus 5-htp < for more information.

Thanks for the reference. Isn't tryptophan the hormone in Turkey that causes drowsiness? :D

Thanks for the reference. Isn't tryptophan the hormone in Turkey that causes drowsiness? :D
Yes it is, but 5-HTP is a metabolite of tryptophan that shouldn't make you drowsy. L-tyrosine is an amino acid that is also useful in boosting neurotransmitter production (dopamine, norepinephrine, seritonin) which often results in relief of tinnitus. Usually outer ear problems/infections will not produce tinnitus. As a swimmer and former Long Beach Lifeguard, our favorite and foolproof ear treatment/preventative was a half and half mixture of isopropyl alcohol and white vinegar. Swab inside ear canal with a Q-tip and let dry. I still do it every time I get out of the shower!

Two substances that often (temporarily) produce tinnitus are opiates (like pot, oxicodone, morphine, etc.) and certain stimulants like caffiene, ephedrine (Sudafed), dexadrine and so forth. Many people have also reported tinnitus resulting from the use of antidepressants like Effexor and Prozac.

Last edited:
I also seem to recall that tinnitus may be a symptom of high blood pressure too, ergo the effectiveness of the vasodialator mentioned above, so it might be worth checking that sometime when you're having an extended bout.

Last edited:
I am careful. I properly set up system with the right room can sound outstanding at 80 to 85 db . I know I use a RAT SHACK meter to test. Sure I can do more but at that level its as if I am live in a good hall or jazz club.

Excellent advice. I always have my meter handy while listening or giving a demo.

I ensure that there is no prolonged exposure to >90db, and as you say, keep it at around 85dB.

Yes it is, but 5-HTP is a metabolite of tryptophan that shouldn't make you drowsy. L-tyrosine is an amino acid that is also useful in boosting neurotransmitter production (dopamine, norepinephrine, seritonin) which often results in relief of tinnitus. ...

Two substances that often (temporarily) produce tinnitus are opiates (like pot, oxicodone, morphine, etc.) and certain stimulants like caffiene, ephedrine (Sudafed), dexadrine and so forth. Many people have also reported tinnitus resulting from the use of antidepressants like Effexor and Prozac.

I definitely agree that Coffee can exacerbate Tinnitus. If I have >2 cups in the morning, the ringing is intense.

Interesting info about neurotransmitter linkage. I'll read up on that.

I also seem to recall that tinnitus may be a symptom of high blood pressure too, ergo the effectiveness of the vasodialator mentioned above, so it might be worth checking that sometime when you're having an extended bout.

Many, MANY things can cause it! Be aware that the ED (erectile disfunction) drugs can cause Tinnitus/hearing LOSS as well! I am not sure of the progression of this, or if it is normally permanent. I attribute this to my hearing loss from last summer that lasted about 1.5 months. It was NOT FUN! Thank GOD it came back, but there are times when I am just sitting around and my ear starts ringing like mad just like it did when my hearing went away and I am always scared it is happening again and will be longer/permanent this time.

So far so good, but just be careful where you can. Always wear hearing protection when you know you will be around something loud. Lawn mower, rock concert, airplanes/jets, trains, the list goes on and on!

Best to you all!

Many, MANY things can cause it! Be aware that the ED (erectile disfunction) drugs can cause Tinnitus/hearing LOSS as well! I am not sure of the progression of this,!

I'm sorry, what did you say?

After 40 years of being an audiophile, tinnitus is a fear and occasionally a reality for me. Maybe it was those sessions back in the 1970s listening to "Live at the Fillmore" played back at stupendous levels over double Advents fed by a Crown DC-300.....who knows? Mine seems to come and go and I only notice it at night when trying to sleep.

I use a Phonic PAA2 real time analyzer to keep playback levels within reason these days. The RS meter is ok for measuring raw SPL but it is no good for frequency response measurements as it is not accurate over the full range. I strive to keep my playback levels below 90 dBA on peaks-- note the A weighting, it is not a "flat" scale. Even at 90 dBA, music can be loud!

I also do not listen very long at this level, an hour at most. My musical tastes have changed a bit over the years and I prefer Baroque music (!) these days to the Allman Bros. That helps a bit too.

As has been pointed out, watch your blood pressure too- high blood pressure can contribute to tinnitus symptoms.

Back