think I found my preamp/amp combo!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eknuds01

Reaction score
Well I finally had my first real visit to a high end place that carries: NAD, Rotel, and Conrad Johnson.

While the saleman was dealing with a client I ventured back to the really high end room where some B&W and Quad electrostatic speakers resided. A few minutes later I was joined by the sales guy, Ed. This guy was awesome. He, like me, just couldn't contain the excitement when it comes to listening to great high end gear. I was there about an hour or two before the store closed, so it was just me and him.

For the hell of it he hooked up the big Quad ($11,000) to the high end CJ tube preamp and tube amp. Needless to say it sounded very good. I popped in some Vivaldi and Clapton Unplugged. That stuff is a bit out of my budget for sure, but I got to say I wasn't that impressed with Quad's Flagship speakers. One thing I did like was that these panels do deliver on the bottom end. The nearest ML equivalent would be the CLS and I actually prefer the older CLSs over these Quads, but that's just me.

Then we walked over to the next room to compare the lower priced NAD and Rotel gear. I have been itching for some months to audition these two amps because their price fits right into my budget and numerous people on this site have Rotel and swear by that company.

He some B&W 803s and Vandersteens in this room. I got to hear Vandersteen for the first time and I got say these speakers ($1700/pair) could have given those Quads a run for the money and these speakers were powered by preamp/amp that is one tenth the const of the higher end tubed CJ stuff.

Then we got to listen to the B&W and man oh man was I impressed. All I can say is wow. Those speakers sound as good as they look. I felt that the 803s had very clear sounding mids and highs. Rotel stuff goes along very well with the 803s and the 1070 pre coupled with the 1070 amp was just awesome. Granted these speakers are $4000 or $5000/pair, but these 'budget' electronics seem to power them rather effortlessly. We switched over the NAD amp (C272) and Ed said the difference between the Rotel and NAD is very subtle. To be honest I really couldn't tell the difference, and I suppose that's a good thing. The music just seemed to flow through the amp(s) and speakers did the talking. I couldn't really hear any noticeable differences between the two at all.

Yeah my visit to the store comes with all of the usual caveats. In general the listening rooms were rather cramped and the speakers probably weren't very well placed. But the rep was extremely nice and knowledgeable.

I can get the Rotel pre and the amp together at the 'gon for around $700 + shipping. The NAD can be had for about the same price used. New this stuff is $1200-$1400. I asked the dealer if I could borrow the stuff when they close Friday and return it first thing saturday (floor models) and he said he could probably swing that. I must admit that I would feel guilty borrowing his stuff and then buying it used on the 'Gon. I'll probably just pull the trigger on the used Rotel gear, assuming that that stuff is there when I have the money.

Anyway, there are some things that I took away from this visit. You don't need to spend thousands and thousands for decent gear. Like I said, I can spend less than $800 (including shipping) for the Rotel stuff and probably very content with that. I am glad that I followed Dan's (DTB300) and took the time to listen to this equipment with my music. I was also able to compare two very similar priced amps and as mentioned above, the differences seemed very minor to me.

Erik

I can get the Rotel pre and the amp together at the 'gon for around $700 + shipping. The NAD can be had for about the same price used. New this stuff is $1200-$1400. I asked the dealer if I could borrow the stuff when they close Friday and return it first thing saturday (floor models) and he said he could probably swing that. I must admit that I would feel guilty borrowing his stuff and then buying it used on the 'Gon. I'll probably just pull the trigger on the used Rotel gear, assuming that that stuff is there when I have the money.

To spend that kind of time w/ the guy and not throw him a bone would be pretty tacky... If you actually borrow stuff from him and then go buy used on A'gon, well, that is just down right RUDE!

These guys make their money on commission, like it or not. So, when they spend time w/ you that is an INVESTMENT. How do you feel when you watch your mutual funds tank in a bad market? Well, that is what he will see if you pick his brain, use his gear, and then go buy it somewhere else.

Glad you liked the Rotel gear...I do too for the money! Is there better stuff out there... FOR SURE, but not much that is better for the price, not that I have listened to anyway.

Good luck. Oh, I doubt the pre was a 1070... but I don't know the 2 channel Rotel gear though so it is possible I guess... I have an RSP 1098 pre/pro and I know there is a 1068 that is cheaper. Drive my speakers w/ the RB1090 and the RMB 1095 amps as well as my zone 2 speakers with the 1050 amp! :rocker:

Erik, just a thought: driving a 8 ohm speaker like the B&W is quite an easy task for lots of amplifiers out there. Not so with Martin Logans, which are quite nasty as we all know, and can reveal the limitations of many amplifier designs and implementations.

Erik, just a thought: driving a 8 ohm speaker like the B&W is quite an easy task for lots of amplifiers out there. Not so with Martin Logans, which are quite nasty as we all know, and can reveal the limitations of many amplifier designs and implementations.

I didn't put it well, but I agree Lugano, I think the 1070 will be a little under powered for the ML's (at least if they are in the primary listening position) and you should be looking at the 1080 or 1090 amp... The 1080 is probably sufficient and something like $1k cheaper than a 1090?! That said, my 1050 didn't seem overly upset having to work with the Aerius i speakers I had up till January in my Zone 2 set up... Was plenty loud and seemed quite clear and well focused considering the crappy room acoustics it was dealing with...

To spend that kind of time w/ the guy and not throw him a bone would be pretty tacky... If you actually borrow stuff from him and then go buy used on A'gon, well, that is just down right RUDE!

These guys make their money on commission, like it or not. So, when they spend time w/ you that is an INVESTMENT. How do you feel when you watch your mutual funds tank in a bad market? Well, that is what he will see if you pick his brain, use his gear, and then go buy it somewhere else.

Glad you liked the Rotel gear...I do too for the money! Is there better stuff out there... FOR SURE, but not much that is better for the price, not that I have listened to anyway.

Good luck. Oh, I doubt the pre was a 1070... but I don't know the 2 channel Rotel gear though so it is possible I guess... I have an RSP 1098 pre/pro and I know there is a 1068 that is cheaper. Drive my speakers w/ the RB1090 and the RMB 1095 amps as well as my zone 2 speakers with the 1050 amp! :rocker:

The Pre was indeed the RC-1070. It has the same last four digits as the amp, the RB 1070, so I can see where the confusion lies. And I agree that if I went as far as borrowing his equipment and then using that experience to go and buy the same thing on the 'Gon, yes, that is very rude. At this point, I am just 'shopping around.'

Lugano, your point is well taken. I know I need to be concerned with driving my Logans properly. I have the Aerius i right now I have some 6-7 year old Yamaha amp (maybe 75 Wpc) driving them. I have no doubt that any Rotel would be a substantial upgrade.

The 1080 and 1090 are similar to the 1070, but the former provide higher Wpc. Can someone provide me with a few guidelines here, please? Let's strip off the prices for a second and just consider 2-3 things that you really want when consider amps. I thought we had to worry about current output, not necessarily a high Wpc. If current is important, what should be looking at, amps wise? What other features do you find important.

My room isn't overly large and I don't listen to the music at very loud levels.

thanks,
Erik

JonFo recommends an amplifier with current in the range of 40 Amps per channel. The only amp I know of that does this is the Sunfire...but I would suggest taking a hard look at the ampere ratings for the amps you are looking at and consider them strongly.

A difference of 15 amps on one and 20 on another might be significant. Also, I would double check the manufacturers claims.

Dominick

JonFo recommends an amplifier with current in the range of 40 Amps per channel. The only amp I know of that does this is the Sunfire...but I would suggest taking a hard look at the ampere ratings for the amps you are looking at and consider them strongly.

A difference of 15 amps on one and 20 on another might be significant. Also, I would double check the manufacturers claims.

Dominick

I emailed Rotel and asked them about the current output. Both the NAD c272and Rotel 1070 claim to be 'high current' amps, but I'd like to see some numbers first. Yeah, I know Sunfire can deliver some high current (so can the Plinius) and that's one reason why Sunfire amps are so popular on this forum.

I can't seem to find the current info on the Rotel website. I'll look around NADs today too and see what I can find.

thanks,
Erik

From NAD's website regarding the C272:

"With PowerDrive, the relationship of voltage to current
is kept at an ideal proportion, eliminating the current
limiting distortion common in lesser designs. This also
gives it an unusual characteristic compared to traditional
amplifi ers when measuring its continuous output power;
the RMS output power remains the same at 150 watts with
either an eight or a four-ohm load. This is not unusual for
NAD however. NAD takes a stance against the mindless
“brochure power” approach which doesn’t give a realistic
indication of an amplifi er’s true capabilities. Instead,
PowerDrive is a practical approach to enable an amplifi er
to easily deal with musical dynamics and diffi cult speaker
loads. More meaningful in the real world are the C 272’s
dynamic capabilities; up to 450 watts into 2 ohms and up to
70 amps current capability into 1 ohm!"

JonFo recommends an amplifier with current in the range of 40 Amps per channel.
One has to be careful of ratings, especially this one. Companies measure this differently from a direct short measurement to real time duration measurements. This stat can be very misleading.

Well I finally had my first real visit to a high end place that carries: NAD, Rotel, and Conrad Johnson.
Where did you go?

Anyway, there are some things that I took away from this visit. You don't need to spend thousands and thousands for decent gear. Like I said, I can spend less than $800 (including shipping) for the Rotel stuff and probably very content with that. I am glad that I followed Dan's (DTB300) and took the time to listen to this equipment with my music. I was also able to compare two very similar priced amps and as mentioned above, the differences seemed very minor to me.
Very Good!!! Cost does not always equate to good sound for you. Bringing music you are familiar with is always a plus.

And I agree with Pcar...if you are going to bring home equipment from the local dealer, you need to eventually purchase from them.

Dan

One has to be careful of ratings, especially this one. Companies measure this differently from a direct short measurement to real time duration measurements. This stat can be very misleading.

Where did you go?

Very Good!!! Cost does not always equate to good sound for you. Bringing music you are familiar with is always a plus.

And I agree with Pcar...if you are going to bring home equipment from the local dealer, you need to eventually purchase from them.

Dan

Dan,

I went to soundscape (website is: soundscapemd.com) and they have lots of great brands there: Vandersteen, Thiel, B&W, Quad, Conrad Johnson, Rotel, NAD, etc. They have the Quad panels and they have had many a great reviews, but I still like the sound of the martin logans. I've been hooked for life! Though I must admit, the B&W 800 line is a damn fine array of products.

Dan, if you ever head up there (it's in baltimore) you should come by my place. Hopefully, I'll have the new amps, cables, and the moded CD player installed by then. Though, I am sure it won't be quite as nice as your system.

:)

Erik

From NAD's website regarding the C272:

"With PowerDrive, the relationship of voltage to current
is kept at an ideal proportion, eliminating the current
limiting distortion common in lesser designs. This also
gives it an unusual characteristic compared to traditional
amplifi ers when measuring its continuous output power;
the RMS output power remains the same at 150 watts with
either an eight or a four-ohm load. This is not unusual for
NAD however. NAD takes a stance against the mindless
“brochure power” approach which doesn’t give a realistic
indication of an amplifi er’s true capabilities. Instead,
PowerDrive is a practical approach to enable an amplifi er
to easily deal with musical dynamics and diffi cult speaker
loads. More meaningful in the real world are the C 272’s
dynamic capabilities; up to 450 watts into 2 ohms and up to
70 amps current capability into 1 ohm!"

The problem using ML speakers with amps like the mentioned NAD and all other amps with active voltage shift ..., with some kinds of music you hear it goes on/off and its not that difficualt to pinpoint since the upshift to higher viltage supply occures after the demand for greater VA has been a fact for a time periode ..., there are introduced a new kind of distortion from the shifting action ..., it has never been a "secret" for instance Trio/Kenwood did make that point very clear in servicemanuals of amps with "Super DLD circuit" which is there eqv. to NAD "PE" & "PD"

Last edited:
...and you should be looking at the 1080 or 1090 amp... The 1080 is probably sufficient and something like $1k cheaper than a 1090?! ...

Eric,

I have the experience to drive my sequel IIs w/ RC1070 pre and RB1080 main before. I didn't feel any lack from them. I think they are very cost effective gears. Actually I still use them with B&W 805 signatures in other room.

Have fun!

Shuji

Back