XT F100 Integrated Amp Recommendation with HT Passthrough

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKAdrianJ

Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread on this yet, so posting up a new topic: what are people using for their Motion XT speakers? Specifically I'd like to find a 2-channel integrated amp with home theater pass-through for my X100s, budget $3K to $5K max (but happy to spend less!). I'm currently driving them with my Denon 3700 for home theater, but I know I can get more out of them with a better 2-channel amp for music. I have two Monolith V12 subs integrated with a MiniDSP that I like having in the mix, but that's somewhat optional given the low end of the F100s.

Has anyone found a great pairing I should look into? I listen to several genres from classical to electronic and I'm looking to for a little more space and separation, a little better background blackness, I want to maintain the crisp details and I want a fast, agile amp that can keep up with hard hitting rhythms. I really like the Cyrus i9, but no HT passthrough. Purchasing in the US. (Yeah, I know: but I heard the Cyrus in the UK and fell in love!)

I have an Anthem MRX 1140 8K powering my 5.1.4 setup. I recently added the Anthem MCA 325 GEN 2 to power my XT F100'S & XT C100. It's been a significant difference in sound. Even the surrounds and height Atmos speakers sound more dynamic now that my AVR isn't powering the 4ohm loads of the LCR. So I would suggest either the Anthem MCA power amplifiers or the Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier. You will NOT be disappointed!...

Thanks! I did notice that ML used an Anthem amp at the XT launch event, so that has to say a lot. I didn't know if it was Canadians being bro's or whether it really is a good pairing, so your feedback is great! Anthem STR has certainly been on my drool list for a while....

why integrated?
D3700 has great meausrements and looks well engineered on preamp and DAC section.

I think you should be good to go with power amps hooked directly.

Thanks! I did notice that ML used an Anthem amp at the XT launch event, so that has to say a lot. I didn't know if it was Canadians being bro's or whether it really is a good pairing, so your feedback is great! Anthem STR has certainly been on my drool list for a while....
Fun fact - Martin Logan uses Anthem components to test their speakers. Also they are sister company's...

why integrated?
D3700 has great meausrements and looks well engineered on preamp and DAC section.

I think you should be good to go with power amps hooked directly.
I started with a notion that I wanted to build a separate 2-channel chain, but you make a good point. Looking at the Anthem STR for example I'd have to add a streamer for music (I listen mostly on Tidal at the moment), and then I looked over at my Denon and started to doubt myself since it has a streamer built in.

I'll probably end up AB testing an integrated vs. power amp.

Edit: it also occurs to me that now I have finally figured out how to get Audyssey to properly match any room curve I want, avoiding having to learn and optimize Anthem ARC is another reason not to go integrated....

Last edited:
I have an Anthem MRX 1140 8K powering my 5.1.4 setup. I recently added the Anthem MCA 325 GEN 2 to power my XT F100'S & XT C100. It's been a significant difference in sound. Even the surrounds and height Atmos speakers sound more dynamic now that my AVR isn't powering the 4ohm loads of the LCR. So I would suggest either the Anthem MCA power amplifiers or the Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier. You will NOT be disappointed!...
Fidji99 has me thinking about power amps now, so I had a question: what are you using for surrounds? I'm using B100s and now I'm wondering if an MCA 525 is the way to go, or 325 and let the Denon handle the surrounds. Thoughts?

I started with a notion that I wanted to build a separate 2-channel chain, but you make a good point. Looking at the Anthem STR for example I'd have to add a streamer for music (I listen mostly on Tidal at the moment), and then I looked over at my Denon and started to doubt myself since it has a streamer built in.

I'll probably end up AB testing an integrated vs. power amp.

Edit: it also occurs to me that now I have finally figured out how to get Audyssey to properly match any room curve I want, avoiding having to learn and optimize Anthem ARC is another reason not to go integrated....
The DAC in the STR has been test by Gene @ Audioholics. He has it in his home. There wouldn’t be a need for a separate music streamer. I have the Apple TV 4K and the my music sounds great. And that’s with the power amp. If you go with the STR it would be that much better.
Also, most people would agree that ARC Genesis is more intuitive than Audyssey.

Fidji99 has me thinking about power amps now, so I had a question: what are you using for surrounds? I'm using B100s and now I'm wondering if an MCA 525 is the way to go, or 325 and let the Denon handle the surrounds. Thoughts?
my surrounds are the FX2. the heights are the MP10’s. Along with a Dynamo 1100X all in a n apartment. I’ve had my MCA 325 for about a week and a half now. I have not run ARC yet and the sound is freakin’ euphoric.

Also, most people would agree that ARC Genesis is more intuitive than Audyssey.
I do feel like I've finally figured out Audyssey - basically by bypassing Audyssey completely, doing all my alignment, leveling and EQing in REW and hacking the Audyssey JSON to use as a transport to get my handcrafted EQ curves into the AVR. It's a lot of fun that way and you have tons of control. I've heard good things about ARC but I do feel like I've cracked the Audyssey code now. Cracked, or hacked anyway ;)

I do feel like I've finally figured out Audyssey - basically by bypassing Audyssey completely, doing all my alignment, leveling and EQing in REW and hacking the Audyssey JSON to use as a transport to get my handcrafted EQ curves into the AVR. It's a lot of fun that way and you have tons of control. I've heard good things about ARC but I do feel like I've cracked the Audyssey code now. Cracked, or hacked anyway ;)
Nice. It’s not that easy to work with Audyssey. ARC just simplifies the calibration process. But that’s great that you have figured it all out!

Usually it is enough to run L-C-R via external amp, as there you have 80% of your movie content.

I am big proponent of Class D amps - be it Purifi or Hypex based.
I agree. For the majority of use with HT going forward Class D will be the technology

I use a Musical Fidelity integrated for 2 channel, and use the HT bypass for Denon avr. I have external amps also, but the integrated was a better option in my system.

I use a Musical Fidelity integrated for 2 channel, and use the HT bypass for Denon avr. I have external amps also, but the integrated was a better option in my system.
Which MF integrated do you use? What made it a better choice for you than external amps? Thanks!

Which MF integrated do you use? What made it a better choice for you than external amps? Thanks!
I have an older one, the 3.5 a. I have 11A’s, and the are doing double duty in our living room for stereo and home theater. I have a Denon 4300 receiver, and use a McCormack amp with the pre outs. The sound in stereo is not as good, as the Denon is probably the weak link in the chain. The home theate bypass in the Musical Fidelity allows me to use it for stereo, and send it to the Denon for home theater. The new M5si and M6 si would work for you.

Last edited:
Back