The Unmoderated Classical Music Recommended Recordings Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a word: Luxuriant!

This has got to be one of the best, if not THE best, engineered classical disc I own. The sound is microscopic in detail. The hall ambience perfectly compliments the instrumentation. Great balance between instruments as well. I've also really fallen for the performances. This is like grandma's fresh baked apple pie cooling on the window sill... like comfort food for the ears. Is there such a thing as too warm and fuzzy? If so, this approaches the threshold.

Brilliant has done a brilliant job in every sense of the word.

If you like Baroque and you don't own this SACD 2 disc-set, rocket to your nearest internet terminal and order it n-o-w. Turn up your computer audio a bit and select sample track #4... and let me know what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Corelli-Conce...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1299363337&sr=8-2

Now, just imagine what the DSD version of that sounds like through your MLs. Have you imagined it yet? OK, not even close. Way better than you could possibly imagine ;)

Cheers

Attachments

• 517ccaPYyzL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    517ccaPYyzL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 108
Todd, the one word I would use to describe it (as with all other Baroque music) is "civilized". Unfortunately I'm a bit of a hooligan, i.e. not civilized.

It's all relative

Thanks for the recommendation Todd,

I will give Amazon a bit of revenue!

Interesting what some folks find tame, I personally find the Italian composers the most outgoing amongst the Baroque genre. Their ability to 'layer' violin sections in a wall of sound, the speed and 'lightness' of the movements makes say the German composers sound positively geriatric.

Different horses for different courses.

Jeff

Jeff, you're right that we all seek different things in music. I find Baroque very proper and correct, but missing the one thing I always look for in music - passion. I listen to Baroque "en passant", but never Beethoven, who conveys so much emotion in his music.

Jeff, you're right that we all seek different things in music. I find Baroque very proper and correct, but missing the one thing I always look for in music - passion. I listen to Baroque "en passant", but never Beethoven, who conveys so much emotion in his music.

Hi Bernard

As with most any genre, Baroque includes a wide range of compositional tone. Would you lump Handel's Messiah in with the "en passant". I can't believe you would. I happen to be listening to the Dunedin Consort's version of The Messiah right now and few things in the aural world compare wrt emotion/passion. This is the work the musical geniuses refer to as genius. Oh, and it is squarely of the Baroque era (or at least pre 1750).

I understand the allure of Ludwig and later classical/romantic period composers. But where do you think they got their inspiration from?

You may not prefer a certain style of music but to dismiss an entire musical era? Really?

I await your measured response fine sir ;)

Hi Bernard

As with most any genre, Baroque includes a wide range of compositional tone. Would you lump Handel's Messiah in with the "en passant". I can't believe you would. I happen to be listening to the Dunedin Consort's version of The Messiah right now and few things in the aural world compare wrt emotion/passion. This is the work the musical geniuses refer to as genius. Oh, and it is squarely of the Baroque era (or at least pre 1750).
Todd, it's been a long while since I last listened to The Messiah; I don't even own a recording. I do admit that the Alleluia Chorus is a fine piece of music, but I appreciate it for the sophistication of its construction rather than for its emotion.
I understand the allure of Ludwig and later classical/romantic period composers. But where do you think they got their inspiration from?
More than that, the romantics were taught by the Baroque guys, but Beethoven was a trailblazer who did things so differently that you'd be hard-pressed to find a Baroque influence (I don't find one).

You may not prefer a certain style of music but to dismiss an entire musical era? Really?
What can I say? It's a style that fails to move me. I find that I can sit back and listen to it, but in a detached fashion. I keep waiting for the climax, which does not seem to come ;) Not so with Beethoven, whose music can leave me exhausted; BTW have you listened to his Mass in C? A wonderful piece of music.

Music and Individual taste and perception

Gents,

I suspect we are straying into the realm of personal taste and individual perception which is highly subjective and of course personal.

My wife finds my love of Italian Baroque distracting and cannot stand Harpsichords. Me? I am an unrepentant lover of the genre! She, like you Bernard, adores the passion of other classical genres with the Russian composers, the deep melancholy of Rachmaninoff and Tschikowski for instance.

Speaking of which, this is a recording and performance that is almost before my time but as an early 1960 recording has startling dynamics and an interpretation that is 'passionate'. It is Rachmaninoff: Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3 SACD, played by Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence.

http://www.amazon.com/Rachmaninoff-...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299485830&sr=1-1

It just shows me how great these early recording sessions were with analogue gear with performers no longer with us today. Historically fascinating.

Anyway back to my opening remarks, I never ceased to be surprised how two people can go to the same concert or and hear entirely different attributes from the performance, even different aspects sonically.

So it is music that moves each of us differently but different music that moves each of us.

Why I like Bernard's thread is that you guys share recordings with us from your personal collection and of course tastes, it is a chance to try out other genres for me but also find out about other artists and performances within my favourite genres as well as stuff I would walk right by usually.

Of course, having a bit of 'out there' influence from you is part of the fun and journey.............keep doing it but with a healthy disrespect!!

Jeff

Attachments

• 41HZWBDTK6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41HZWBDTK6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Jeff,

We are not just straying into the realm of personal taste and individual perception; we are up to our ying-yangs in that quagmire. And I too cannot stand the harpsichord. So let's agree to disagree. I'm fortunate that my wife and I tend to have the same reaction to concerts.

That Byron Janis recording has been very highly rated by TAS. I have not heard it, but I do have #2 with Sviatoslav Richter on the piano; a fine performance.

Hey guys... I hope my tendency to rib in good nature is not taken for anything more than what it is. I have nothing but respect for personal choice. Bernard and I have, I think, learned quite a lot about each other's likes and dislikes by sharing recommendations and providing honest feedback. I wouldn't have it any other way :)

That said, I did just receive this compendium from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Harp...IQFL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299502281&sr=8-1

Stellar performances and luscious sound (IMO). Granted, not to everyone's taste, but it certainly tingles my musical sweet-tooth.

Attachments

• 41za0evunpL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41za0evunpL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 71
Hey guys... I hope my tendency to rib in good nature is not taken for anything more than what it is.
Todd, rest assured, it is taken in the spirit in which it is intended. I tend to dish it out as well (though not so much in this thread).

The female touch

Now... here's something I've been meaning to post for a while now. This from the early romantic period. Something we can all agree on is that female classical music composers are rather in the minority. I stumbled across Louise Farrenc while researching contemporaries of Beethoven.

Brief background on Ms. Farrenc here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Farrenc

After listening to some samples here: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Louise-Farrenc-Symphonie-Nr-2/hnum/3935008

I ended up ordering two of her discs from Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/Louise-Farren...AEOG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299502987&sr=8-3
and here:
http://www.amazon.com/Louise-Farren...=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299503007&sr=1-4

I'm still getting to know Louise stylistically. She covers a wide range of expression and at times the themes seem a bit disjointed, but I actually think that may be more a function of my lack of musical understanding. At any rate, while I'm still trying to figure it out, I will say that I greatly enjoy her music, especially given the somewhat rare contributions from the female contingency of that era. Plus, I think she may have been a bit of a hottie ;)

Cheers

Attachments

• 61fE+7PmXoL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    61fE+7PmXoL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 61u0qpEqugL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    61u0qpEqugL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 71
Dvorak: New World Symphony

Dvorak: New World Symphony (#9), by Rafael Kubelik and the Berlin PO. I have an LP, on Teldec I think. I assume that the DG version pictured is similar.

Here's a piece of music I like, especially the slow movement, which is often used in Westerns, and is played on the harmonica in jail.

I also have a version conducted by von Karajan, which was given to me as a gift. Somehow never cottoned on to it. Maybe you do need a Czech to do it right ?

Attachments

• Dvorak.jpg
    Dvorak.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 68
I'm still getting to know Louise stylistically.
You are on a first-name basis already? :)

BTW while you are researching contemporaries of Beethoven, check out Schubert (they were friends). I really enjoy some of his stuff. He did some nice pieces for four hands on the piano. Check out his "Famous Serenade" too. I have heard it sung, played on the piano, and played on the cello and piano; all of them are wonderful.

Last edited:
Haydn Il mondo della luna

I went to see this production in Theater an der Wien in December 2009. My wife had graciously alowed met to go as it was my birthday and so I flew from Amsterdam to Vienna, especially to see this production. I have been following Mr. Harnoncourts productions where I can for a number of years and wanted to see this one very much because you rarely are able to see a good production of a Haydn opera at all.

Theater ander Wien has for some years now been bringing opera productions again after a long time of only musicals and they have been able to do what the salzburg festival has not: secure Mr. Harnoncourts collaboration to conduct an opera every year. He has done Orlando Paladino (Haydn), The Rake`s progress (stravinsky) and will be doing a Rodelinda (handel) in 2010. Il mondo della luna is his second collaboration with Tobias Moretti, a well knwon German actor who has been increasingly active in the field of opera staging for some years. The first production they did together was Mozart`s La Finta Giadiniera at the Zurich opera. Yes, I saw that, as well.. And there is a dvd available of this production.

I really enjoyed the staging. It brings out the ridiculous and somewhat incredible story of the idiot Buonafede really well. Hilarious at points, but very severe at others. You are made to feel as if it could almost have been you..
Theater an der Wien has a large trickbag available, everything revolves, flies, turns, falls, rises etc. Mr. Moretti makes good use of this, there is always something to see and the jokes often turns to extreme human emotion in a second. This is Haydn at his best. A complete whirlpool of emotions that has you laughing and crying at the same time. (literally..)
Of course, the musical subtext has a lot to do with this. Concentus Musicus seemed even better, sharper than ever (if at all possible) and the sounds that came out of the pit were at times hardly recognisable as any kind of instrument.

The singing, too, was excellent and the singers were evidently well able to live their parts. As it were, they were not singing and/or acting it, they were IT.
Most of the very young cast I did not know. Of course, Dietrich Henschel is known to me and I had heard of Bernhard Richter, the others I did not know. Maite Beaumont made o profound impression on me, as did Vivica Genaux. Christina Landshamer and Anja Nina Bahrmann were stretched to the maximum of their abilities, but the dramatic expression was such that I easily forgave and forgot the few mistakes that they made.

The real star in the end is Mr. Harnoncourt, though. How this venerable old and wise man is able to touch everything he does with golddust is something that I have given up trying to understand several years ago. The story comes alive under his hands, tension is never released and most of all the human side of the characters is brought out to such a degree that the whole thing holds a mirror in front of you and that can be painfull at times..
I do not think that there is any production available that brings out the stunning genius of Haydn as a composer and as an opera composer to such a degree as this production does. Often underestimated, Mr. Haydn knows very well what goes on inside of us and how to address it. Perhaps he, in the end, is the true star of this production.

I would like to add a few comments after having viewed the DVD:

The staging is excellent. As a great compliment to Mr. Moretti, I have very rarely seen a staging that supports the music and the handling so well as this one does. Jokes are extremely funny and witty, made at just the right times and never preventing the singers from doing an excellent job. On the contrary, the singers are supported in bringing accross the idea to a great extent by the ideas of the staging. Also, the staging makes long lines and presents the story as a whole. Very well done.

The sounds that Mr. Harnoncourt produces from the orchestra are stunning. Much more than beautifull music, a life story with a large double bottom is presented here and the musical subtexts are extremely well done. This means that the joke or the drama is not allways evident in the text or the staging but comes from the musical subtext and is often taken further by the staging. This seems to be a production that is thought out to the smallest parts. It does not bring, however, a feeling of forcedness, but comes out very natural. As a whole, the production therefore provides one with a very entertaing evening filled with laughs on one hand, and on the other hand leaves one stunned and drained at the end. As Mr. Harnoncourt so justly said, when you scratch the surface of Haydn you find absolute madness just underneath.

The cast of singers really is excellent. Where do they find these people, that give their hearts and souls to such a production? As mentioned before, the majority I did not know but they are of a very high quality. I would especially like to mention Markus Shaefer her as I had not mentioned him before. Well sung and very well acted. Bravo!

When will we finally realise that the Haydn that everyone values, the Haydn of "creation" and "seasons" is the other side of the coin, that his operas are equally masterfull, are proof of the absolute genius of this composer. Mr. Harnoncourt and Mr. Moretti and their cast have set a standard here. Please, let others follow where they have led.

Lost Music

Here's one that I've owned for several years and every time I play it I'm struck by how beautiful it is. Plus, it's educational (don't tell the kids).

This is a two disc set. The first disc is 32 tracks of audio gold! Who'd a thunk the Early American Moravians were so musically prolific? Granted, it's mostly religious music (not that that's a bad thing), but it certainly fits with the ideals and mindset of early America (i.e. early in the settlement of white America... not the actual early America before it was brutally conquered).

Anyway, the second disc is a real treat as well IMO. Martin Pearlman dives right into the who/how/what/where/when of it all with a wonderful exploration of this "lost" music. Clips are played and paired with Martin's historical recounting... all very, very interesting and, to me, enlightening. While I play the first disc the vast majority of the time, I'll play the second disc a few times a year as well to relive the moment I first heard it... riveted as I was to my seat. I disliked history in high-school because of the way it was taught, but if the coursework was conducted more like this, I may well have an advanced degree in historical studies now.

Sonics are outstanding as well. Highly recommended!

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Music-Ea...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1299591156&sr=8-1

samples here:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Lost-Music-of-Early-America/hnum/8704101

Attachments

• 61VfvdnCpCL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    61VfvdnCpCL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 96
Great first post! Welcome to the forum.
I'll second that - a great first post. And, welcome to the forum. Hope to see many more posts from you.

You mentioned the Salzburg Festival, so I take it you have been to it. Any general comments about it? I was supposed to go to it many years ago, but my car died, and that's where the funds went.

Justin, what turned me on to classical music was one of your bretheren in the movie "A Clockwork Orange". The main character, in a drug-induced haze, listened not to heavy metal (whatever it was called at that time), but to the master, Herr van Beethoven.

Stumbled on this old thread. Bernard, for a few days after I watched that movie, I kept listening to Ode to Joy and used to walk around the room with aggression. That movie and music builds on you. It is amazing how powerful and aggressive classical music can be. If you listen to Nigel Kennedy's rendition of Summer Third movement on youtube, I am convinced that's the start of the power chords, heavy, speed and thrash metal

Kedar, yes it does sound aggressive. I don't think I've ever heard it played that fast before; it's way too rushed, and I'm not crazy about it. I'm used to the genteel version of Marriner/ASMIF.

Anyway good thread, Bernard, you must have been sober off the port in those days

Back