Looking For Some Classic "Alternative" Albums...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
OK, gear, gear, gear. All well and good. But sometimes... it is a little zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Most regulars have great systems. And I see so little recommended in this category.

What I am looking for is some "alternative" category albums that you regard as "classics" that have been released in the last 5 years.

Just some solid, no BS recommendations. That's all I am looking for. I know we have a recommended recordings section, but it doesn't really cut it for easy recommendations... and there is b*gg*r all in the aforementioned category in it.

So I'd be really grateful if you could spill the beans on your favourites. Don't worry that I may have heard it already. I may not have! And if I have, it'd be great for other people to learn from.

So come on. Just exactly what do you reckon is cool?

Though a bit older that the last 5 years. I always liked:

My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult: Confessions of a Kinfe.

This to me is an all time great. Though it is not for everyone.

Dude, you live in England... We should be asking YOU what good alternative music has come out in the last 5 years, since most of the good stuff comes from over there and we never hear it in the USA....

I could name lots of UK based alt bands like Elbow, Hard-Fi, Athlete, Thirteen Senses, Stereophonics, Travis, Cinematics....

US Alt Bands
Santa Barbara based Dishwalla put out a CD in 2005 called "Diswalla" (not their debut CD) which is EXCELLENT! Highly recommended (as is their "Opaline" CD).

Anything by Collective Soul or The Killers too.

Get on last.fm - it's a great way to discover new music!

Last edited:
Some of my most recent faves have been The Dears, Kings of Leon, Flaming Lips, Sigor Rus. They may be too mainstream by now but I still think the Foo Fighters throw down with the best of them.

Oh yeah... Kings of Leon... forgot about them.

I also like Arcade Fire... Think they might be considered Canadian, though.

also.. The Aquabats. Very strange group of guys.. Very eclectic. Weird. My brother in law turned me onto them and I must admit, I like their style.

Last edited:
Oh yeah... Kings of Leon... forgot about them.

I also like Arcade Fire... Think they might be considered Canadian, though.

I was going to mention Arcade Fire. Didn't know they were Canadian. Some strong hints of Echo and the Bunnymen in their stuff.

Fratellis
Ting Tings
She & Him

i've found that the iTunes single of the week is a good way to discover bands. i stumbled across a great blues album "Chances" by Jill Barber that way.

OK - there is enough there to keep me busy... but KOL I have and like a lot (told you a while ago Tom when you created a thread for it, if I remember).

I use Napster, though I have had a spin on Last FM a few times. In fact Napster has "radio stations", with an Alternative station.

The Aquabats
The Dears
Sigor Rus
Dishwalla
Collective Soul
My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult

These are unfamiliar, and is exactly why I asked the question. Really, it was for the American input/view on things. I'll check them out and if any are duff I WILL BLAME YOU:D Only joking.. of course!:).

For alternative recommendations from me, just follow the quotes... OK it's all old stuff mainly, but anything I quote will be excellent, at least in my book. I'll do a few that are a bit more up-to-date...

Thanks dudes.

Last edited:
Doesn't something have to be more than 5 years old to be considered "Classic"?

With that in mind here are a few, most may be to main stream for you Justin and most are more than 5 years old.

Buddaheads
Jimmy Eat World
Evanescence
The Decemberists
Poi Dog Pondering (Chicago Group)
Alejandro Escovedo

Lyrically you might like the following.

Atmosphere : White Rapper from Minnesota Recommend God Loves Ugly
Staind
Ani Difranco : Just about all her stuff is good Favorites Living in Clip, Dialate, Not A Pretty Girl.

And as Tom has already stated, you should be telling us

"It's funny how, as we grow old
We cling to the past as we cling to the air
And feel nostalgia for things that were maybe never there

The town where innocence was bullied and flared
The house where desire's first fluids bled

But now the autumn leaves are turning to the color of rust
I'm getting jealous for youth's first yearnings for lust"

Damn fine quote Wayne, and as I said, the quotes are my recommendations.

As a teenager, I was absolutely mad about lyrics. In fact, even now I believe I can recite all the lyrics to the first Clash and Stranglers albums and get it nearly all right. And putting those albums on from time to time (you must never do it too often) is a real treat. And the vinyl UA release of Rattus Norvegicus has stunning sound quality.

The reason I said last five years and "classic" is because I think I know a lot of the UK "classics" that are over 5 years.

As a teenager, I was absolutely mad about lyrics. In fact, even now I believe I can recite all the lyrics to the first Clash and Stranglers albums and get it nearly all right. And putting those albums on from time to time (you must never do it too often) is a real treat. And the vinyl UA release of Rattus Norvegicus has stunning sound quality.

I have a copy of "The Raven" (by The Strnaglers) with the 3D effect cover. Very cool. :)

Yeah, when that came out me and my mates went down the local record shop one school lunchtime time to get it on the release date, We were bowled over by it... and it still looks really good. Move your fingers towards the green leaves and you'd swear they would go under them.

What you really need is the free single that came with Black & White for the version of Walk On By on it. The guitar solo is just fantastic! Now Hugh could play excellently... what was that about punks not being able to? Hm...:)

Dave Greenfields keyboards are amazing, and Jean Jaques Burnel (bass player) was trained as a Spanish classical guitarist.

Take my word for it - those guys could play... big style!

OK - I have transfered all I listed onto my Creative Zen V using Napster To Go. Quite amazed they had it all. Also added Zaphod's Ting Tings cos it sounded cool.

Will sample and feedback - then it's onto Wayne's list.

This is gonna be interesting:)

Some of my favorites in this category are:

Jenny Lewis - "Acid Tongue" and "Rabbit Fur Coat".
Built to Spill - "You In Reverse".
Shearwater - "Palo Santo".
Calexico - "Carried to Dust".
Spoon - "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga".

These recommendations turned out to be much better than I expected. So MLOC geezers aren't a bunch of losers after all:D But then we knew that anyway.:)

The Dears - listened to Missiles - very good - enjoyed it.
Sigor Rus - Tim, it is in Icelandic! Very good music, though. Do they ever sing in English?
Dishwalla - - listened to Opaline. Being a Keane fan that you are Tom, I see why you like this.
Collective Soul - 7even Year Itch - very good.
Ting Tings - all I could get was Fruit Machine, but that is very good. Zaphod, can you recommend an album? I'll surely buy it.

I listened while working, so not 100% attention paid, but I'll give them all another good listen tomoz.

Thanks again.

The Dishwalla Opaline CD is not quite as edgy as their first CD, "Pet Your Friends" or their last CD "Dishwalla", but it has it's moments.

Collective Soul is one of my favorite bands. "Disciplined Breakdown" is IMHO their best effort.

Christopher O'Riley

The entire Radiohead collection.

I Second That !!! also check out Christopher O'Riley who has made radiohead classical interpretations for piano cant reccomend it enough!

Also...

Haven, Between the Senses. (indie/Guitar/Great melodys)
Any thing by Bjork
D'Angello, Brown Sugar (Jazzy/Soul/Cool Groove)
A Perfect circle, Mer de noms (Tool Like/ Heavy/ Moody)
Adele, 19
Alkaline Trio, Crimson
Ben folds five, underground
Amp Fiddler, Waltz of a ghetto fly
Ash, free all angels
Baden Powell, Lembrancas
Badly Drawn Boy, The Hour of Bewilderbeast
Bebel Gilberto, Tanto Tempo
Biffy Clyro, Any
Block Party, Silent alarm
curtis stigers, Secret heart
Damien rice, O (acoustic guitar)
David Gray, Babylon
Dodgy,The Collection
Doves, Any
Jose gonzales, veneer
Lamb, What sound (Electro/Jazz/D&B/Great Album!
Lizz Wright, Salt (jazz)
Lou Rhodes, Beloved one
Zero Seven, When it falls
Newton Faulkner, Hand built by robots
Paul Simon, Graceland
Preston Reed, Handritten notes (Percussive guitar)
Selaelo selota, Enchanted Gardens
The smashing pumpkins, Gish
Thom Yorke, The Eraser !!!
Tracy Chapman (beautiful)

:music::D:rocker:

The Dears - listened to Missiles - very good - enjoyed it.
Sigor Rus - Tim, it is in Icelandic! Very good music, though. Do they ever sing in English?

Justin, don't miss "Gang of Loosers" by the Dears also - very powerfull stuff.

As for Sigor Ros, everything I've heard either has been instumental or in Icelandic with the exception of my personal favorite album "()". It's sung entirely in a language that the band fabricated themselves.

Another one I thought of on the way to the office this morning because it came up on my iPod - Crystal Method; Check out both "Tweekend" and "Vegas".

Back