The Trigger has been pulled. New amplification!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just shove some paperclips in for shorting pins for now. :)

Actually, some scraps of romex or something would work in the meantime...

Or wait....painfully wait....hehe

The manual says
"...if driving the amplifier single ended, leave the supplied jumper in place (between pins 1 & 3 on the XLR). Your amplifier will operate without the jumper in place, but performance will be significantly diminished"

Which pins are 1 & 3? Would these have to be shorted together? Is that what the jumpers do? Could someone maybe look at their Pass Labs amp jumper and let me know which pins are jumpered so I can do a DIY temporary jumper.
thanks!

Tom.

The manual says
"...if driving the amplifier single ended, leave the supplied jumper in place (between pins 1 & 3 on the XLR). Your amplifier will operate without the jumper in place, but performance will be significantly diminished"

Which pins are 1 & 3? Would these have to be shorted together? Is that what the jumpers do? Could someone maybe look at their Pass Labs amp jumper and let me know which pins are jumpered so I can do a DIY temporary jumper.
thanks!

Tom.

Tom,

if you call pass @ 530.367.3690 I'm sure they would be happy to supply you with the factory jumpers. They are nothing special but OE. You should look into running it balanced. It does make a huge difference (for the better IMO) to do it.

Tom,

if you call pass @ 530.367.3690 I'm sure they would be happy to supply you with the factory jumpers. They are nothing special but OE. You should look into running it balanced. It does make a huge difference (for the better IMO) to do it.

just called them.. Can't use XLRs until I ditch my Denon (later this year) but yes, I will definitely be going with balanced ICs once I can.

thanks for your help Jason!

I'll send you a PM tonight

Tom,

I'll check out the balanced clips / hole locations on my amp and and provide info this evening. Hang in there Amigo.

GG

the X250 is scheduled to get here on Friday! SWEET! Looks like I'll be planted on the sofa all weekend listening to it!!!!

YAY!

Tom-

I can't take it anymore....how does it sound? Get off the forum and hook it up.:D Pleaaase! I'm so excited it's killin' me.

It's HERE!! Photos!

UPS came today at 2PM and dropped off the new amp.

Attached are a couple of photos I took with my cell phone...

It's sitting in the back seat of my car right now... I had to put the top down, had a co-worker help me lift it into the back seat and then put the top back up.

I won't be going home for a few more hours yet..

I don't have the XLR jumpers yet, so I'll have to see if I can jerry-rig something tomorrow.

More pictures later when I unpack it, etc!!

:D

Attachments

• amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 94
  • amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 95
  • amp3.jpg
    amp3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 95
  • amp4.jpg
    amp4.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 95
You sound a little sick...you should go home early and get some rest.;)

I agree

:rocker:
You sound a little sick...you should go home early and get some rest.;)

Hey Jason,

I heard about this strange flu that targets audiophiles. I think Tom has this dreaded anamoly. I agree with your prognosis. Perhaps the good doctor Joey would like to chime in on this mysterious ailment.

GG

Tom go home now but stop at Radio Shack first!

Grab a pair of jumpers and then post more pics and a detailed story please.:D

It's 5AM. Do you know where your new amp is?

Got home last night and got the new amp in the living room and opened up the box.

My initial reaction was "WOW! This thing is frickin' HUGE!!"

Big and solid and heavy and constructed like a tank.

We went to dinner with friends and then we got home late and went to bed. Here's a little pictorial.

Attachments

• IMG_0564 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0564 (Small).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0565 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0565 (Small).JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0568 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0568 (Small).JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0569 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0569 (Small).JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 88
unveiling...

More photos...

Attachments

• IMG_0570 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0570 (Small).JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0571 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0571 (Small).JPG
    36 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0572 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0572 (Small).JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0573 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0573 (Small).JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 88
still more...

The stock power cord is pathetic. I have a Synergistic research A/C Master Coupler classic on it's way.

Attachments

• IMG_0575 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0575 (Small).JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0576 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0576 (Small).JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0577 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0577 (Small).JPG
    55 KB · Views: 87
So that's it. I'm up at 5AM and will make some coffee and start fabricating some jumpers for the XLR pins.

More pictures throughout the day.

Excellent Tom. Looks like the pooches are there to help all they can.

Dude, that is going to take your system to a whole new level. You won't be able to fully appreciate it until you replace your preamp, but it's still going to make it's presence known.

And it's going to look INCREDIBLE in your setup.

Have fun with it today!:D

Wow, killer looking amp. Cant wait to hear your first impression.

Hmmmmm, what disc will we spin first?

Tj

The amp looks great Tom, I like the angled fins on the side. It looks very space age. Can't wait to hear how is sounds.

Nice looking four legged bass traps. With that canine hearing they must help with critical listening. Let us know what they.

Looks great Tom! I like how you posted pics of the whole ongoing process! Reminds me a lot of how'd I do it!! :)

Looking forward to more more more pics and more impressions from you with regards to its sound!

And yes, the good future doctor recommends that you stay home, drink plenty of fluids....

Pass X250 impressions.

Made some jumpers for the XLR inputs and got the amp all hooked up. Kerry was still in bed, so I just watched some TV for a couple of hours at a low volume level. He got up and I had clearance to start some serious listening.

I put on Journey's Greatest Hits SACD. Listened to that for awhile. Then went to Cyndi Lauper's "She's So Unusual" SACD. Then went to my "Critical Listening" playlist on my Squeezebox which includes songs I feel really sound amazing on my system. These are the songs I play when someone comes over for the first time and wants to hear my system.

Here's my initial impressions:
My jaw needs to be wired shut. It's been agape all morning. FONK!
I feel as if I've had these reQuest sitting in a closet for the last 3 years.
I feel like someone should've slapped me and said, "Get a real amp"
I finally know what it means when someone says, "The amp is conrolling the speakers with authority". In this case, the X250 has bitch-slapped my MartinLogans and said, "Who's your Daddy now?"

Serious control and alot more dynamics than I've ever had in my system.

I can honestly say that that the sound I'm hearing now BLOWS AWAY what I heard a couple weeks ago with the Summit/Classe combination. It's just incredible and my system has come to life in a way that it never had before. Simply amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_0588 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0588 (Medium).JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 81
Join the hi-end amp club, Tom. I've always felt MLs deserve the best amplification they can get. I trust you'll become a convert too. Things will no doubt get even better as the amp settles in. Get yourself a pair of XLRs as soon as you can. We're anxious to hear your progress.

Back