The Trigger has been pulled. New amplification!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charles Nelson (Pass) Reilly INDEED!

Nice job, Tim!!

a minty X250 will soon be on my doorstep along with a VTI amp stand.

Thanks to jtwrace and Gordon Gray for their advice and to the rest of you guys and gals for helping me.

My immediate task while I'm waiting for the amp to arrive is to get some lugs for my speaker cables. I've used banannas for years. Anyone got some suggestions?

MOST Excelente, big boss!!!

I dont think I need to remind you that we want impressions and pics pics pics!! :cheers:

Nice job, Tim!!

Thanks to jtwrace and Gordon Gray for their advice and to the rest of you guys and gals for helping me.

My immediate task while I'm waiting for the amp to arrive is to get some lugs for my speaker cables. I've used banannas for years. Anyone got some suggestions?

All I hear are GREAT THINGS about Pass labs! They say you get a bit of a Tooby sound w/ SS reliability and lack of tube play! I think someday (if they ever make them in black...) I will have to get a set of those too! I guess that will depend on how MBL's sound, since I WILL have a set of those one of these days!!!

I was thinking you went down that path Tom.

Great choice. I have not heard the Pass amps but as a Forte owner.... I am a Threshold fan, and thus a Pass Labs fan.

Congrats on your new purchase

Way to go, Tom. I think you made an excellent choice, and I can't wait to hear your impressions. I am leaning toward Pass as well for my 5.1 channel system that I am putting together.

Tom,

Congrats on the new (to you) amp. I know you will like it. Can't wait to hear and "you hear" what the differences are.
I know you already have that smile your face and it is not even at the door yet.:D :D

My best always

Jeff:cool:

Nice job, Tim!!

Congrats Mr "D" !! I'm pretty sure the Pass has five way binding post's , so your bannanas will work. But if you wanted to go with spades I'm sure Parts Express would have what you need.

Charles Nelson Reilly and Paul Lynne were hilarious on that show.

Everyone since then (especially the new incarnation) = the suck in comparison :)

Edit: Wait. I assumed that was Hollywood Squares but it isn't ... What show is that from?

All I hear are GREAT THINGS about Pass labs! They say you get a bit of a Tooby sound w/ SS reliability and lack of tube play! I think someday (if they ever make them in black...) I will have to get a set of those too! I guess that will depend on how MBL's sound, since I WILL have a set of those one of these days!!!

I can make a pass amp black...:D

I've seen that show many times, and the actor there in the picture, but cannot for the life of me remember any of it now....so much for the clue...

There you go....(Charles Nelson Reilly ) Nelson=Pass Labs........geeze where the heck did you find that picture!

Good luck with your new purchase Tom! I'm sure you are going to be very happy with it as I have been impressed with the auditions so far. Let us know how it integrates with your equipment and expectations.

Sam

Last edited:
Too cool Tom!! I think you made an excellent choice!! From what I've heard from a friend, Pass Labs amps offer a very detailed and refined sound without adding glare or brightness. I'm looking forward to your thoughts as I've been curious about these amps myself.

BIG Congratulations on your fine new purchase! :)

Seth

Friday the stork is dropping off a 100 lb "baby"!

the X250 is scheduled to get here on Friday! SWEET! Looks like I'll be planted on the sofa all weekend listening to it!!!!

YAY!

Remember the one hour warm up

Tom,

On the assumption that you don't know about the Pass Labs amps "warm up" routine, you need to turn the amp on and let it warm up all those little monsters inside the amp for one hour before you listen.

I'm very excited for you and hope you experience the "magic" that Jason and I have found with this glorious 100 pounder.

If you have time, send me a PM after you've logged a few hours on the beast. I'd love to hear your first impressions.

Gordon:haha1:

PS:I also assume you know at this point that the speaker terminals take bare wire or lugs. No bananas allowed.

The wait is indeed killing me, but I'm really busy at work, so that helps.

I do know about the warm up time and also have put spades on my ends already.

I'm SO ready for this!!

I'm planning on taking photos of the unpacking, putting into the system, powering it up, etc. and I will post them here along with my thoughts.

Thanks for your help guys.

Tom.

Tom here's my 2 cents

Enjoy it of course when you get it but leave it on at least for a good 24 hrs and then listen to it again with the same material and confirm if it doesn't get a little smoother overall in it's presentation? Just curious as my Levinson 335 seems to have this characteristic if not left in it's standby mode.:cheers:

UPDATE.. Bad news...

Ok all...

The Amp is arriving tomorrow at my work.
The owner did not have the shorting pins to use single ended cables, so he contacted Pass Labs and ordered me some.. I have no idea when those will get here.

To top it off.... Our AS/400 at work "phoned home" to IBM to communicate a dead battery on the disk array controller card. I have to meet the IBM CE at 5PM tomorrow night and bring down two systems, he'll replace the battery and then I power the systems back up and make sure all systems are running.

I won't be home until 9PM at the earliest!

So this means that if by some stroke of incredible luck the shorting pins show up tomorrow and my amp shows up tomorrow, I won't be able to get home until late!!!

ARRRGGHH! Looks like Saturday is the more likely date when I'll actually be able to play with the new amp!

had to vent... sorry.

Just shove some paperclips in for shorting pins for now. :)

Actually, some scraps of romex or something would work in the meantime...

Or wait....painfully wait....hehe

ARRRGGHH! Looks like Saturday is the more likely date when I'll actually be able to play with the new amp!

had to vent... sorry.

It's ok Tom! Some of us havent had the pleasure to even listen to a Pass Labs amp, much less own one! :eek:

You are a god among men... who dont know what Pass sounds like....

I bow to you, sir!

Seriously, the anticipation is sometimes the best part of getting new gear! And in that case, have fun anticipatin' some more! :D :D

Patience, good Tom... patience!
old-025.gif

Last edited:
Back