pull the trigger on the theos but need final advice..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstpierre

Reaction score
hi all,

i just put the deposit for the theos. i was initially really worried that i would not get the full potential of them as i was kind of restricted with placement.I can only have them about 90cm from the front wall (to the middle of the panel). but the dealer came to my house with the demo speakers and placed them 5 feet away and then 2.5ft away from the front wall, and to be honest i did not really noticed any change (all listening was done with me wearing a eye patch, no not the pirate ones but one you get from airlines....) so i decided to pull the trigger, gave him $1000 for deposit and hoping that in 3 weeks i ll have them. the dealer brought his own caying amp and cd player, but my system will be used with an av receiver as part of not a dedicated ht room as i already got that but more a multi function room, where i can enjoy great music and still enjoy good movies, watch sports when kids are in the theatre.
as such i will not have a dedicated centre channel, nor any subs but will have rears. my question is will an av receiver do the theos justice. i am considering either the yamaha 3010 or onkyo 5009. which one will copmplement the theos best. also, the theos are bi wireable, so does that mean i can use the unsed channel of the receiver to power them.
i know i will get the best out of them by going seperate, but not only m i running out of funds quickly i also want to simp-lify the system and having a receiver handle all audio and video is pretty much what m looking at...simplicity, simplicity...
sincerely yours
john
sincerely yours
john

hi all,

... my question is will an av receiver do the theos justice. i am considering either the yamaha 3010 or onkyo 5009.

A good quality AV receiver will do fine. I would lean towards the Yamaha RX-A3010 Aventage - a beautiful device.

Bi-wiring is worth a try. Some get really good results.

Im using the Marantz SR7005 receiver with my Vantage and it sounds awesome. Plenty of power. Obviously a high output dedicated amp would be better, but it sounds great at loud volumes.

As you see, I'm a new Theos owner--I love them! Mine about about 2' from the wall and sound magnificent. I'm easily driving them with a Sony STR 6400ES (I think it's known as the 5400ES outside of the US) in bi-amp mode. I play strictly classical music at moderate volumes. Now, if someone were trying to create the sound level of a live death metal band, then it might run out of steam, but for anything less extreme, I imagine a decent modern receiver will be fine. Of course, I'd love to upgrade to high-end separates, but I need to let my wife recover from this expenditure, first! :D

Hi guys,

thanks for replying and giving me your thoughts/experience. i probably won t listen at reference concert level so that should not be a problem..
i did have a preference for the yamaha 3010 but read somewhere that it could be a tad bright so just afraid that the theos my pick up on that and emphasize it. m not sure what to expect from onkyo.I have never heard one where as i previoulsy owned a yamaha receiver. in a nutshell can anybody describe the difference in sound between those 2. having a home audition with both receiver is almost impossible for me.the dealer i bought the theos from is a denon dealer so no luck hear. yamaha and onkyo, here in australia are sold at harvey norman, ( bit like costco i guess) so can t audition them with the theos..
the other option is anthem..what are your thoughts on them...
regards
john
as for the room correction, once again i hear that the audeyssey xt32 works a treat especially with 2 subs but i will not be having subs as this is not a ht set up.

Anthem and Onkyo sound good. Pioneer and Yamaha are a bit harsh and Marantz might be better for music when regarding logans. Denon is good for music and great for HT. A nice HTbpre will give your Logans what they crave

Back