The DON

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and as far as Trump goes, you do know he was a supporter of Bill's Assault Weapons Ban, don't you?

That he did, but Hillary wants to allow shooting victims or their families to sue gun manufacturers. Why don't we also allow victims of drunk drivers to sue liquor companies? Why not allow someone hit and injured by a corvette going 110 mph to be able to sue Chevrolet?

That was quite a list of accomplishments, sure changed some lives, no wonder that she herself couldn't even come up with an answer in an interview.

Last edited:
The New York Times even called it an "article on women's fantasies of rape". Besides the line about a woman enjoying being raped, he also asked, “Do you know why the newspaper with the articles like, 'girl 12, raped by 14 men' sell so well? To what in us are they appealing?’’ Appealing? I have a daughter who is currently 12 years old, I can assure you I don't find it appealing, nor did I when I was 30. Would you call it appealing or sick? But it's just some opening lines to set up an article on "gender roles"? I guess democrats have a different vision of dangerous and scary than do. http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...972-article-on-womens-fantasies-of-rape/?_r=0

If you have never read the article, how can you comment on it in an intelligent manner? You can't. You're just taking lines out of context, misconstruing them, and trying to use your warped analysis to paint a scary picture of Sanders. Google the article. You can find it on Snopes. I've read it. It's an edgy piece of fiction and quite dated in its views. But scary? Hardly.

As for the lines you are taking out of context...His point was those magazines do sell. They are appealing to some. Which begs the question he asks: why? And again, the other line was not about a woman enjoying being raped. It was about a woman fantasizing about being raped while she was having sex with her partner (not an uncommon fantasy for women, so I've been told). And both of those subjects are put forth as a prelude to a discussion of gender roles. Come to think of it, maybe this article is scary for conservatives. The thought of women not being subservient to their men may just scare the bejeebus out of them.

That he did, but Hillary wants to allow shooting victims or their families to sue gun manufacturers. Why don't we also allow victims of drunk drivers to sue liquor companies? Why not allow someone hit and injured by a corvette going 110 mph to be able to sue Chevrolet?

And I will fully agree with you that this notion is complete BS. The idea that we would allow lawsuits against manufacturers for a product that works as intended solely because of the criminal acts of third parties is inherently ridiculous.

Read it for yourself: http://addictinginfo.org/2015/04/13/heres-a-list-of-hillary-clintons-accomplishments-so-quit-saying-she-doesnt-have-any/

Hint: It's a lot more than Trump has ever done for anyone other than himself.

Sorry Len but I had to laugh at those "Accomplishments". I mean like wow she gave a commencement speech. SO. She was First Lady. Wow. She was Secratary of state. Oh what did she do as SoS. She traveled a lot.

That list can't be serious. It must be a joke.

GaryG

Who said I never read the article, I did sometime ago shortly after Bernie said he was running for the presidency. I just read it again, and it's just as stupid and sick the second time around. Correctly, I should have said he wrote an article, in which he wrote about women "fantasizing" about rape and other quite disturbing scenes. I know some women do fantasize about such things, I think you would find most, however, find the thought not to be pleasurable experience. I don't think the typical man pleasures himself to abusing women, I hope not. And you are correct, "some" men I am sure find articles about children getting gang raped to be appealing. But you "misconstrued" his words by using the word "some", because he said "us", implying that he himself as a 30 year old adult man found it appealing. You are defending an article that his own campaign will not defend and have said was quite dumb. Again, do you find articles about 12 year old girls getting raped by 14 men appealing or sick? If you say appealing, that is quite, shall I say- scary.

Glad we agree on Hillary's stance about guns, it is one of many reasons I couldn't vote for her.

As a side note- My dam Capitals just lost!!

Kevin, if you can't understand that "us" refers to humanity in general, and that humanity in general has a very dark side and that sometimes it is important to address this dark side in literature and explore the foundations of it, then I can't help you. I guess "Game of Thrones" scares you to death. God forbid George R.R. Martin should ever run for public office.

Sorry Len but I had to laugh at those "Accomplishments". I mean like wow she gave a commencement speech. SO. She was First Lady. Wow. She was Secratary of state. Oh what did she do as SoS. She traveled a lot.

That list can't be serious. It must be a joke.

GaryG

I'm Rich, not Len. Sounds like you saw what you wanted to see in that list and ignored the rest. Quite a few accomplishments there that actually helped people, like the CHIP program, increasing funding for prostate cancer, getting funding for WTC redevelopment, and lots more. But more important than all those bullet points is that she has actual experience in the White House, in diplomacy, and in the trenches of the Senate. She knows how things work and can hit the ground running. Trump has no experience in any of that stuff. His lack of diplomatic skills and fundamental lack of understanding of how government works would be disastrous for our Country.

I won't ask you to list Trump's accomplishments, because we both know he has none.

Who said I never read the article, I did sometime ago shortly after Bernie said he was running for the presidency.

So you read the article, which is mostly an examination of gender roles, but then took one line out of it, mis-stated the meaning of that line, and then said the entire article was about that one line (ignoring multiple paragraphs examining gender roles) in your comment to Tom? You said:

Geesh Tom, you are a Sanders supporter, someone who . . . in his 30's wrote an article about a woman enjoying being raped by multiple men, but he's not scary and dangerous??

I honestly thought you hadn't read the article. Now it appears you were just being entirely disingenuous in your efforts to make Sanders look scary.

What I find funny is that Trump's campaign was very simple and designed around right wing shock radio.
All they did was look for the topics that got the biggest emotional reaction and he ran with those topics and talking points.
An amazingly simple idea that has worked well for him.

Unfortunately all he proved was how easy it is to manipulate people with emotional topics.

The scary part is that assuming the "Master Persuader" were to be elected, what's next?
Maybe he could persuade the people that the president needed more power and that congress should be disbanded.

If that's what concerns you, Dave, you should be furious with Senate republicans for stonewalling Obama's moderate pick for the Court. I assure you Hillary will choose someone MUCH more Liberal. And if Trump hurts republican turnout down-ticket and the Senate changes hands, they will be a lock for confirmation. The right wing is seriously shooting themselves in the foot here with their stubbornness.

Oh, and as far as Trump goes, you do know he was a supporter of Bill's Assault Weapons Ban, don't you? And never put up any fuss about the NY SAFE Act. I wouldn't consider him to be a reliable defender of the Second Amendment.

Rich, you wrote that as if you believe I'm a 'Donald' fan ??? If you so noted from the get go I feel ashamed as a country of 300 plus million that the best we can do is Hillary and Donald ..............

I'm not a presidential historian so maybe someone can help me.

When was the last time we had two very qualified, respectful and respected candidates running against each other in a presidential election?

Rich, you wrote that as if you believe I'm a 'Donald' fan ??? If you so noted from the get go I feel ashamed as a country of 300 plus million that the best we can do is Hillary and Donald ..............

No, I don't think you are a Donald fan. I was just referring to you're statements regarding Hillary and the Second Amendment. On that issue, I don't think her and the Don are that far apart, realistically speaking. As for our nation, I agree with you. I'm afraid we have reached a new "normal" where serious, qualified candidates get no consideration. Of course, I've been saying for years that anyone intelligent enough to do a good job as President wouldn't be stupid enough to want to run for it. And even when they do, they don't seem to get any traction with the ideologues in either party.

I've been saying for years that anyone intelligent enough to do a good job as President wouldn't be stupid enough to want to run for it. And even when they do, they don't seem to get any traction with the ideologues in either party.

So sad and so true.

Like many others I simply don't trust her, what / who she will appoint to the Supreme Court is a major concern (my second amendment rights mean more to me than they do to you I suspect). She's carpet bagging political scum in my book. As for 'the Don', he's just a Carnival Huckster and 'wanna be' political scum.

Rich, that's why there's a 'write in' section on the ballot. Regardless, I do see your point and it was safe bet from the get go that you, Steve, Len and Gordon would be voting for Hillary even if Trump hadn't locked it up. As for me........'P. Paulson' or 'D. Duck' ......tough decision !

Dave, I agree with you about Donald. As for 2nd amendment rights, I really don't have the same objections that you do. Few want all guns taken away, many realize however that it is really too simple and easy to obtain almost any kind of weapon you want. Want a machine gun? Two of my buddies have converted their guns to full auto. How many times has Hillary asked for the removal of all guns? I don't know, but I guess the answer is never. Personally, I voted for Bernie in our primary. I don't like some of Hillary's ties to "big business", but for this election, the choice for Hillary over Trump, or any of the other republican candidates is an easy one for me to make.

And just one day after he's the last man standing in the republican field, Trump is already pivoting left. Today he made a statement that he was "reconsidering" his views on raising the minimum wage. Before you know it, he will be moving left of Hillary and calling for taxing the wealthy, handouts for the poor, and an open borders policy on immigration. :ROFL:

So you read the article, which is mostly an examination of gender roles, but then took one line out of it, mis-stated the meaning of that line, and then said the entire article was about that one line (ignoring multiple paragraphs examining gender roles) in your comment to Tom? You said:

I honestly thought you hadn't read the article. Now it appears you were just being entirely disingenuous in your efforts to make Sanders look scary.

I apologize to Tom. Admittedly, I read the article when he first began to run, which is probably close to a year now. The article was stupid, his own campaign manager says it was dumb for him to write, Sanders himself has distanced himself from it and said it was poorly written. You, however, apparently find it quite appropriate. What stood out to me, after almost a year, was those first opening lines that as you said, "sets up" the article. I am a firm believer that first appearances are everything, the first appearance of this article is something most would find disturbing for someone to actually think about and put on paper. It's what stuck in my head after almost 12 months, and I stand by my conclusion that it is scary that a competitive politician actually wrote it, even in 'context'. If Donald Trump were to have written it, you can believe it would be dominating the news cycle for quite sometime, and it should.

He wrote, “Do you know why the newspaper with the articles like, 'girl 12, raped by 14 men' sell so well? To what in us are they appealing?" If I am taking that out of context, then tell me what it actually means? At first you said "some" do find it appealing. Now you are saying he meant that "humanity in general" would find articles about the gang rape of a female child to be appealing. Sorry, but I don't think so, I think most would appropriately find it quite sick. Game of Thrones does not scare me to death, I have never watched it. But if were to lead me to finding child rape is appealing to humanity in general, I think I'll pass. I guess we will need to agree to disagree on this, I won't say anymore.

Trump is scary to me, some of the things he has said has made me cringe. The lies he has told scare me. He's changed almost everyone of his positions fairly recently, I think he might still be a democrat! I want an honest politician after the current one. Bernie scares me, I think we have seen enough of what far left liberal policies have done to states and cities here in the US to try to take our whole country in the same direction. His writing about child rape being appealing makes me wonder what the heck goes through his mind, and yes, I find it scary and I stick by it. I will say he is honest. But I am nowhere near him in my political views on the economy. The fact that Hillary thinks it would be appropriate to sue gun makers for a criminals wrongful act scares me. The fact that she would have thought taking out Muammar Gaddafi in Libya, without much of a plan for what would occur afterwards, and with the hindsight of what occurred in Iraq when we did the same, scares me. The fact that she seems to be able to tell lies just as well as Trump scares me. She was named after Sir Edmund Hillary, despite the fact that he had not done a thing before she was born. The fact that she survived sniper fire, which was verifiably false. The fact that she would even allow the appearance of, and in my mind probably did, give special considerations by the State Department to donors to the Clinton Foundation scares me. Does she really think servers get wiped clean with a cloth? Did she really delete 30,000 emails about yoga routines and wedding plans, but never once dealt with classified emails as part of her job as Secretary of State? These are just some the "accomplishments" that first come to my mind during her tenure as a politician.

Bernie, Trump or Hillary pick your poison. I'm disgusted, I find them all to be pretty unpalatable. You choose your kool-aid, I'll take a chance with mine. Good luck.

Rich, the question is will the folks that backed Trump before he became the presumptive nominee remember and / or care about his reconsidered positions?

I think I know the answer.

And just one day after he's the last man standing in the republican field, Trump is already pivoting left. Today he made a statement that he was "reconsidering" his views on raising the minimum wage. Before you know it, he will be moving left of Hillary and calling for taxing the wealthy, handouts for the poor, and an open borders policy on immigration. :ROFL:

Didn't he come out with that statement months ago? Do you guys seriously think Hillary won't at least try to start pivoting towards the middle? Many think the reason why Bernie is so eager to continue the fight is in an effort to make sure she doesn't do so.

PS- Never mind, back in December he changed his stance and said wages were too low after having said they were too high, that's what I am remembering.

Last edited:
Kevin,

First, thank you for your posts.

Regarding your last post and the PS, that is precisely the issue with the DON.

Absent his narcissism and apparent bigotry towards women, immigrants, the handicap, Muslims, war heroes, etc., no one knows what he will do or say in any given circumstance.

Best,

Gordon

I agree Gordon, which is why I wrote this in my latest post. "He's changed almost everyone of his positions fairly recently, I think he might still be a democrat!" However, I can show you positions Hillary has changed within the past year now that Bernie has pulled her positions left. Remember that Obama, running as a senator in Illinois, was for gay marriage. During his first run at the presidency he was against gay marriage due to his Christian faith (actually Axel Rod later said he told him he needed to say that). And then in his 2nd run as president, he "evolved" and was once again all for gay marriage. They all play these games. Would be nice to get an outsider, in my opinion, that didn't. Just watch, you'll see a shift in Hillary positions as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back