System #79 (Revel Studio II's , previous Spire)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any audible difference?

Joey, To answer your question, I would have to say Yes for what is NOT heard, that being the pitch/speed deviation that was present before that now is eliminated via the power regeneration of the SDS unit.

As far as the PH-5, the changing of cartridge loading "on the fly" is dramatic. So far my ears tell me that my Dyna Vector/VPI 20xl likes to be loaded @ 1k.

Dave,

You son of a bee-yatch!

I'm so friggin' ****ed that you got an SDS before me.

Bastage!

:D

Acoustic "DIY" Continues

Well with the continued guidence from my acoustic guru (DTB300) I have assembled along with some help from my "sewing mistress".

I have made tri-angular upper corner traps for all four corners and the rear corner 45 degree bass traps.

The bass traps are 16" wide X 4' tall, 4" of mineral wool with a homosote backing, wood frame and fabric. Total cost to build each was $16.

Attachments

• IMG_7968.JPG
    IMG_7968.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_7969.JPG
    IMG_7969.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 803
Dave: Are your bass traps just 4' tall? Something does not look right as the corner traps seem to be 1' high, for a total room height of 5'....unless of course the bass traps are not sitting on the floor, but are about 3' off the floor.

"Correcto-mundo" !! your math is quite close !
I am by no means an expert in acoustics, but I thought it would be better to have the bass traps sitting on the floor as the bass would hit the bottom with greater intensity than higher up (square law), and as well, you have three surfaces meeting at the bottom corner, with more potential to muddy the sound.

Last edited:
As you can see in the photos, the rear corners have furniture (book case and printer stand), what you dont see is the "less than beautfull" acoustic material that I have tucked in behind them !

As far as the corner goes ....treat as much as possible. Take a look @ Acoustic Sounds web site and glance at Chad's Refrence room, pretty much floor to ceiling.

Dave,

I like your recent posts for 2 reasons....

1. I like that you have gone onto the route for room acoustics (which is my next route, I feel like I'm always 1 step behind you).
2. I finally get to see the listening area of your room!

Joey:D

I am by no means an expert in acoustics, but I thought it would be better to have the bass traps sitting on the floor as the bass would hit the bottom with greater intensity than higher up (square law), and as well, you have three surfaces meeting at the bottom corner, with more potential to muddy the sound.
If unable to treat floor to ceiling (which is the best), you should start with treatments at ear level then go from there. It is very common for folks to use the triangles on the ceiling and floor corners, then use a panel across, like Dave's, at ear height.

Winter is coming...got some space heaters !

Rogue M-150 MonoBlocks up and running. To early to say for sure , but as I said to Steve, I think they are going to be 'keepers'. The top end needs to prove itself though(right now too soft) and I hope and trust that will come with some more 'run-in' time.

The Plinius is not for sale..........yet !!

Attachments

• IMG_7974.JPG
    IMG_7974.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,968
  • IMG_7978.JPG
    IMG_7978.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 746
I don't know whether I should be cheering or crying...

One of the bonafide members of the Plinny gang is in cahoots with the enemy!!!!

Seriously, let us know how the M150 goes. You know I'm right on your tail, Papa Dave! If you likey, I'm going to have to demo the pair that my local dealer has and we shall see what becomes of them in my system. You gotta give me time to heal.... I'm bleeding here and no one has given me blood transfusions, yet.

I don't know whether I should be cheering or crying...

One of the bonafide members of the Plinny gang is in cahoots with the enemy!!!!

Joey, you should be cheering Dave on. If he likes the tubes enough, you might get a good deal on his Plinny. Then you will have 400 wpc class A monoblocs!

I have to admit I am surprised though, Dave. I would have picked you for an ARC Ref 110 kind of guy.

Joey, you should be cheering Dave on. If he likes the tubes enough, you might get a good deal on his Plinny. Then you will have 400 wpc class A monoblocs!

I have to admit I am surprised though, Dave. I would have picked you for an ARC Ref 110 kind of guy.

Awww dude.... that completely slipped my mind! Monoblocks.... holy crap....

And yeah, you're right... Dave definitely looked like an ARC 110 guy.

And yeah, you're right... Dave definitely looked like an ARC 110 guy.

ahhhhh......looks can be deceiving !! Actually my initial foray into tube power amp(s) was one which I have been thinking about for some time. While yes I do love ARC, I don't like fans. I have listened to friends systems that had cooling fans in their amps and I found them to be objectionable. Besides a quiet fan can ONLY get noisy in time. When I listened to the "baby ref" this past summer It was superb and I admitt I could barley detect the fan(s) noise.

If the Rogue M-150's in time even come close to the ref110 in sonics, I'll be tickled pink ! Right now during run-in, as I stated earlier my only concern is the top end, will it open up more ?? It's too soon to compare it to my "Plinny", other than to say it's different. Shall we say like comparing Digital to Analog, both great in their own right but different.

I doubt very, very much that I will be wowed beyond belief, the Plinius is just too good an amplifier. But Steve's (slowgeezer) approach of having both in ones "stable" is not a bad idea either !

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

Love the vpi aries 3:cool:

look from above !

Lookin' down on the Logo, if so desired you can dim it or turn it off completly.

Attachments

• IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 676
Congrats on the simply gorgeous Spires. Your system just keeps getting better and better. My Aries lust continues to grow each time I look at your system. Enjoy.

what's up with that amp? are you not going to use it anymore? the PLINIUS I meen

Back