System #204 (Vantage)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Glen, congrats on the improved setup my friend!

And yes, good bass is critical, and I'm glad yours is better integrated now. :music:

Thanks Jonathan, and anytime you are out this way give me a call or come by for a visit. You and your wife are always welcome at our home.:rocker:

New set up..

Simply amazing.. The new set up is Super clean which I love:bowdown:. I dont really want to know but yet I do, is there a super huge difference between the Aeon's and the New set up??

Simply amazing.. The new set up is Super clean which I love:bowdown:. I dont really want to know but yet I do, is there a super huge difference between the Aeon's and the New set up??

Thank you Sam for the kind compliment. As for the difference between my previous Aeon I's and the Vantages I would not classify it as a super huge difference, but rather a refinement on an already great speaker. The Aeon's were my first experience with owning Logan's and they had a very lovely sound to them. I would say that the main differences were in the bass department (Vantages having a powered speaker for bass) and a slightly larger soundstage with better placement. However, I could have lived with the Aeon's and been extremely satisfied, but if you ever get a chance to upgrade, the Vantages are definitely worth their money.

Glen

Nice, thank you for in insight. Dont let your wife here you say that.. lol:ROFL:

Thank you Sam for the kind compliment. As for the difference between my previous Aeon I's and the Vantages I would not classify it as a super huge difference, but rather a refinement on an already great speaker. The Aeon's were my first experience with owning Logan's and they had a very lovely sound to them. I would say that the main differences were in the bass department (Vantages having a powered speaker for bass) and a slightly larger soundstage with better placement. However, I could have lived with the Aeon's and been extremely satisfied, but if you ever get a chance to upgrade, the Vantages are definitely worth their money.

Glen

Here are a few updates of my system without the rack in the middle. My TT though is on the opposite side of the audio rack now for vibration purposes. This was a benefit that I had not planned on since no matter where it was located before, left or right side, it was still somewhat near the Vantages'. Also, my cd player which is out for the update, Ayre C-7xe, to get the MP upgrade will be sitting on top of the rack as well. I have to say that getting the rack out from between the speakers has been a tremendous difference and I could not recommend it enough. Everytime I put on a lp it just makes me shake my head as to why I didn't do this sooner.

Glen

I'm gonna go totally off-topic here but...I just have to know which catadioptric telescope you got there! Meade LX200? Which size? Avitar is Orion?

I'm gonna go totally off-topic here but...I just have to know which catadioptric telescope you got there! Meade LX200? Which size? Avitar is Orion?

Hello Peter,

Sorry for not noticing your question until now. The telescope is a 10" Meade RCX 400. Although the name has changed since I purchased it a few years back to something else due to a lawsuit. I'm not sure of its correct name anymore. And yes, you are correct on the avatar being the Orion Nebula (42). This was taken by my wife and I a couple of years ago through our telescope. We also have a 80mm refractor that rides on top of the RCX for wider fields of view. We have enjoyed this hobby quite a bit, but unfortunately we don't get out near as often as we would like. I hope to one day sell this setup and purchase a smaller version for more portability in order to travel to more dark sites. Anyway thanks for asking, it's fun to talk about.

Glen

"The Discoverer"

Here is a picture of my new Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua cartridge that was recently added. It has been a significant upgrade to my previous Dynavector Karat which was no slouch. Vinyl Heaven!!!!:angel:

Glen

Attachments

• 1 - Modified1.jpg
    1 - Modified1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 503
  • 9 - Modifed9.jpg
    9 - Modifed9.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 515
Congratulations on the Te Kaitora - looking forward to detailed comments. BTW, I consider the XV-1s one of the top five cartridges on the market, and will probably replace my XX-2 MkII when it's due with the then-current model.

Congratulations on the Te Kaitora - looking forward to detailed comments. BTW, I consider the XV-1s one of the top five cartridges on the market, and will probably replace my XX-2 MkII when it's due with the then-current model.

Thanks Spectral. It will probably be a week or two before I do some type of review, but my initial thoughts are extremely positive. As for the XV-1s, it really is a humdinger from my exposure to this cart. I am positively jealous of your future purchase.:rocker: I almost went with the XX-2 MkII, but everything fell into place for me to purchase the Te Kaitora Rua. I would have been satisfied with either one, but I just couldn't keep myself from making the leap.:D

Glen

No speakers!!!

Ever since I sold my Vantages it's been difficult to see the emptiness in the front of my room.:( Hopefully I will get the new speakers in this week, but the past few weeks have been mighty depressing. The upside was my wife and I got a chance to do some decorating in there and make a grid on the floor for the eventual placement of our new speakers. Oh well, still counting the days until the music returns.:music:

Attachments

• 001redone.jpg
    001redone.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 426
  • 002redone.jpg
    002redone.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 423
Hi Glen, man, what a bummer not to see ML's in there anymore.

Sweet room though, I hope you enjoy the new speakers when they arrive.

Will be very interested to hear your impressions of the differences between the two speakers in that same room.

Will be very interested to hear your impressions of the differences between the two speakers in that same room.

Thanks Jonathan for the compliment and I will definitely post my impressions between the Vantages and Quatros. It appears I will be requesting Jim Smith's services again to help with the placement. Most likely though I will wait until then to write a summarization of the two. Hopefully if all goes well they should be here this week. :rocker::rocker:

Seeing the turntable there, but no speakers, makes me think of the old Dual turntable ad, "Just looking at a great turntable is like just listening to a great painting".

so what book are you reading right now.;)

any new arrivals yet?

:D:pYeah, my Vandersteen Manual!:rocker: They have finally arrived and my apologies for not posting any updates more quickly, but have been battling a pesky computer problem as of late. However, here are a couple of preliminary pictures that we took and were able to post. When my computer becomes healthy again I will take other pictures and replace these in the future as I settle in on everything. Thanks for asking though; I have been talking my wife's ears off about how much I like these. :D

Attachments

• g9.jpg
    g9.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 323
  • g11.jpg
    g11.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 326
  • k101.jpg
    k101.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 333
  • AVS Pictures Quatro.jpg
    AVS Pictures Quatro.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 210
  • AVS Picture Just Speaker.jpg
    AVS Picture Just Speaker.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

I wanted to deliver some type of a report/mini review of my new Vandersteen Quatro's and here it goes:

First let me say the verdict is official, this system Rocks!!! Instead of playing music that was only well recorded which allowed any and all speakers to shine, I decided to play albums that I felt more of a personal connection. From beginning to end there was a marked difference in my emotional response to each performance. Rarely do I ever sing along with the musician, but I could not keep the outburst of words inside, and this was NOT an isolated incident. Katrina was probably getting worried that I may start dancing; that would be a site to behold!:banana::banana: Now that you have this image in your head......, the notes were much more visceral compared to the Logan's presentation and contained a convincing sense of atmosphere which surrounded me. These senses were present before with the Vantages', but to a lesser extent and without the constant urge to join in and sing. My Logan's were a speaker that I could live with and be very content, but the Vandies are an experience that I do not want to live without. In addition, the believability in what I am hearing now is much more pronounced than it has ever been, not to mention the toe-tapping rhythm being ever so more present. When the recording presents an immense sound-stage one is there, and when a small more intimate setting is portrayed it too is unfolded into the room. I found myself not blinking as I stared into the vast imagery painted by the Quatro's, listening intently, and completely drawn into the music. I am in total awe as each and every album is played because of the more convincing sound-stage which contains a realism that is quite hypnotic. While the Vantages were a wonderful speaker which performed very well for me at that price range, the new Vandies are definitley a step up in performace and realism.

Glen

Boy, they sure look different from the full sock model.
Glad to hear how much you are enjoying them.
I listened to them about a year ago with all ARC stuff and was blown away at the sound. The sound/image was clean and crisp, big and full when needed and delicate when called for. They had a very balanced sound nothing seemed out of place or over powering.
If I was to move away from ML they would be my choice at this point. Only down side is having to deal with Richard again.

Back