Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the Audiophile Reference 2006 CD off of ebay yesterday. This CD is a treat for the ear. The all bass version of Come Together will test any system. Get this CD you will not be disappointed.

Helps that you have the Depth sub doesnt it, Cherian? Still cant believe how you ended up with the Depth instead of the Grotto.

Keep chuggin with the tunes man! I think I can hear your system from my apartment! :cheers:

Ani DiFranco ~ Not A Pretty Girl

Attachments

• 2801490958.jpg
    2801490958.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 121
I just picked Queen's "Night at the Opera" DVD-A/DTS set yesterday at Borders. It sounds REALLY nice, and gives my Sequels a much-needed chance to really "rock out". I also picked up Diana Kralls "Girl in the Other Room Dual Layer DVD-A, and the SACD releast of Tchaikovsky's 1812 (Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops on Telarc), and Rickie Lee Jones "Duchess of Coolsville"

The Queen disc is VERY nice. I would recommend it, if you're a Queen fan. It's a very witty album, and is full of musical references to English kitsch, Vaudeville, and Classical music. And this recording is delightful.

The Diana Krall DVD-A is also very nice. Full of ambience and air, and the Dolby Digital really helps bring the perfomance "home". Again, I think "Temptation" (track 3) is perhaps one of the best "reference" tracks ever for demonstrating what a small acoustic combo should sound like...

The Tchaikivsky 1812 is even better in SACD. I have the original Telarc release of this one (the one with the digitally-recorded cannons, and warning label). This is the first CD I ever knocked pictures of the wall in my house with, and that warning label is for real. You'd better have some SERIOUS amps, and woofers that can handle it if you're going to play this one even close to performance levels. The addition of the Kiev Symphony Chorus on this new release make it even more goosebump-inducing that the original.

I'm a HUGE fan of RLJ. I've got almost all her previos releases in both CD and Vinyl, and I think she's perhaps one of the most under-rated voices and songwriters/lyricists in modern Jazz. Aside from the fact that her "street-angel" couce is just chillingly haunting, her lysrics are some of the most poetic and genuinely intimate of ANY contemorary songwriter. This new compilation is very nicely done--copiuos liner notes, excellent re-mastering on some of the tracks, and the addition of the half-dozen "demo" recordings and another half-dozen live tracks on Disc 3 are just a real treat for RLJ fans. My only problem with this disc is that some of the tracks were obviously lifted directly from previous masters, and not really edited to fit into this format of "seperate" tracks. Some of RLG's early albums were more like studio versions of a concert--where each song flows into the next without any breaks, and when a song like that appears on "Duchess", they just chop it out of the original masters and plop it into the mix, so that it starts abruptly an ends just as awkwardly. I thought my new OPPO was skippng or mistracking, but after going back and listening to the begining of these tracks several times, I realized what was going on. They could have at least given these tracks a gentle fade-in and fade-out, As it stands, there are parts of this set that sound like a badly-made "mix tape", and for $32, I really expect a lot better production quality. But aside from those few dicey edits, this is a REAL listenable disc for die-hard RLJ fans.

--Richard

Attachments

• queen_01.jpg
    queen_01.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Krall--GITOR.jpg
    Krall--GITOR.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 1812.jpg
    1812.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 123
  • RLJ.jpg
    RLJ.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Upstairs at Eric's! You can't miss!

Tom Upstairs at Eric's is a great CD. Most anything worked on by Vince Clarke be it Depeche Mode, Yazoo or Erasure sounds great. Erasure still keeps that pop 80s sound that I love.

Tom Upstairs at Eric's is a great CD. Most anything worked on by Vince Clarke be it Depeche Mode, Yazoo or Erasure sounds great. Erasure still keeps that pop 80s sound that I love.

Yep.. I agree. I really love Alison's voice... I wish she would do a CD of standards... OMG, that would be great.

Jim, You Didn't like the Love album??

Well, no... I didn't like many of the song, or the segues in and out of them...they are probably better if you are actually watching the Cirque show that it goes with and then I put in the DVD-A and it $UCKEDA$$! I figured out why though as I took my system apart to move it to the other cabinet for the new TV... SOMEONE (the F-TARDS from Home Theater Store that set the system up) had put the 5.1 out for the center channel into the SUB input on the receiver and vice versa! NO WONDER THERE WAS VIRTUALLY NO VOCALS!

I'll give it another shot when that is up and running A FREAKING WEEK FROM NOW, since TV delivery was delayed!

Whew....glad I got that off my chest! I will probably like it better when it sounds right, but it still won't be my fav Beatles music...1 however is ALL THE BEST that I have always liked, but never much listened to.

Well, no... I didn't like many of the song, or the segues in and out of them...they are probably better if you are actually watching the Cirque show that it goes with and then I put in the DVD-A and it $UCKEDA$$! I figured out why though as I took my system apart to move it to the other cabinet for the new TV... SOMEONE (the F-TARDS from Home Theater Store that set the system up) had put the 5.1 out for the center channel into the SUB input on the receiver and vice versa! NO WONDER THERE WAS VIRTUALLY NO VOCALS!

I'll give it another shot when that is up and running A FREAKING WEEK FROM NOW, since TV delivery was delayed!

Whew....glad I got that off my chest! I will probably like it better when it sounds right, but it still won't be my fav Beatles music...1 however is ALL THE BEST that I have always liked, but never much listened to.

Sorry to hear about your problems, Thats why I do everything myself.
I Don't trust anyone else to touch the system.
Give it another try after you get it up any running.
IMHO The 5.1 mix is great.

Give it another try after you get it up any running.
IMHO The 5.1 mix is great.

That is why I bought it...not because I am a beatles fan but because I heard such good things about the 5.1 mix. Will report back after the next try!

Sunday Morning ~ Fine and Mellow ~ Martin Logan Style....

I just been listing to some smooth and lovely tunes with the help of my wonderful ML system. I thought, some of those tunes with my friends here at the ML Club. ;)

:D Procol Harum ~ A Whiter Shade Of Pale, Enya ~ Shepards Moon, Eva Cassidy ~ Eva By Heart, Fine Young Cannibals ~ The Raw And The Cooked, Cynthia Clawson ~ Immortal :p

Attachments

• Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade Of Pale.jpg
    Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade Of Pale.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Enya - Shepards Moon.jpg
    Enya - Shepards Moon.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Eva Cassidy - Eva By Heart.jpg
    Eva Cassidy - Eva By Heart.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Fine Young Canibals - The Raw And The Cooked.jpg
    Fine Young Canibals - The Raw And The Cooked.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Cynthia Clawson - Immortal.jpg
    Cynthia Clawson - Immortal.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 141
Oh I All Most Forgot....

:D One More I all most forgot to mention... :p

Loggins and Messina ~ Full Sail

Attachments

• Loggins and Messina - Full Sail.jpg
    Loggins and Messina - Full Sail.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 146
So far it's been a digital morning because I have to work and it's difficult to get to the turntable...

Jeff Buckley - "Live From Sin-E"
Hobgood, Torff and Wertico - "Union"

The latter on the Naim label is a stunner sonically. Typical of Naim - minimal microphones, perfectly placed, recorded in glorious analog to a Nagra 2 track recorder in Union Church in Chicago (think Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Sessions" type ambiance). Great recording of a wonderful trio doing some great takes on jazz standards and original material. Highly Recommended - if for no reason other than Paul Wertico's drum solo on "Inflections".

Attachments

• cover_sin-e.jpg
    cover_sin-e.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Union.jpg
    Union.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Miles Davis for me this morning!

Kind of Blue
Water Babies
Big Fun 1/2
Big Fun 2/2

Jethro Tull

All that talk about Jetrho Tull's Aqualung album a few weeks back, got me searching for a copy on DCC Gold. I'm happy to say my copy arrived yesterday, After 5 tries on Ebay to win one at a reasonable price, and it sounds great. No more hiss! Picked it up for just over $50 with shipping.
I watched others go as high as $244. So persistancy paid off.

Attachments

• Aqualung dcc gold.JPG
    Aqualung dcc gold.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 138
Just sat down for a listen to Diana Krall's 'The Look Of Love' based on comments by Cherian and MiTT in last weeks thread.....what a fantastic disc; it made my day.

Thanks, guys.

Tj

Cocteau Twins: Heaven or Las Vegas
Goldfrapp: Supernature
Muse: Black Holes and Revelations

Last edited:
Back