Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a sweet compulation !

Creme de la Creme - Sheffield lab, one of my absoulte favorites from the eighties, their "Direct from the Master Disc" recordings both analog and digital are really quite good.

Attachments

• 3cdc62e89da0a4656ff04110._AA240_.L[1].jpg
    3cdc62e89da0a4656ff04110._AA240_.L[1].jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 154
My fav also

Creme de la Creme - Sheffield lab, one of my absoulte favorites from the eighties, their "Direct from the Master Disc" recordings both analog and digital are really quite good.

Thanks for reminding me about this disc.
I'm surprised that more people haven't posted the Sheffield Labs stuff. The recordings are great and I love most of the artist involved.

Doug - out

My Christmas present:

Luka Bloom CD/DVDs: The Man Is Alive

2 very intimate video recordings (Luka and his guitar only), a live CD and nice look into his personal life.

This is a must have for Luka fans (Testify Brother Wayne!).

Attachments

• lukabloom.jpg
    lukabloom.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 151
Today was discovery mode for me, as I listened to three albums that I had never heard before. Actually, I'm doing that quite a lot lately. First up was Shearwater, "Palo Santo". Very beautiful music and was an "album of the year" from some list. The artwork on the album is also beautiful.
448618047_p9HxM-M.jpg

Next up was a 45rpm limited edition of "Big Blue Ball". While I'm generally not a fan of the so called "World Music", I really liked this album. It is an interesting mix of techniques and styles from many different performers.
448618020_zxR3o-M.jpg

Last was Calexico's, "Carried to Dust". I had heard the song, "Two Silver Trees" on the radio and thought it was very unique and beautiful, sort of like a Japanese hit from the '70's. The album was very good and kept my interest with each new song exploring different styles with various instruments.
448618077_jZ6cp-M.jpg

All of the albums had good quality sound and very good musicianship. A great morning's listening!

I've been pulling stuff off of the new LP rack all morning - Yeah, I know there's a playoff game going on, but my guys aren't in it, so I'm taking some time with the house to myself to listen to some good tunes.

Just finishing up with this batch. From 1960, the Dave Bailey Sextet - "One Foot in the Gutter", great soulful jazz. Then it was time for a Pink Floyd album I just don't listen to very much and I don't know why because it sounded great - their last studio album, the aptly named "The Final Cut". In another thread somewhere Justin and I were taking about the Pixies, so I had to pull out my original 4AD pressing of "Surfer Rosa" - the one with the topless sinorita on the cover. Man what a great album!

Attachments

• BaileyFloydPixies.jpg
    BaileyFloydPixies.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 147
Justin, great selection Thanks for the Reccomendation.
Just got the disc today, First Listen, I really like it
Opening Track is outstanding
My wife even popped into the room to ask who it was.

Just noticed this - yup Grace Jones, Sly and Robbie have still "got it". Going to see her this month. Really looking forward to it.

Glad you liked it. If they allow cameras I'll post a few pics/words.

First day to just listen to music in a couple of weeks... (we had 2 sets of grandparents for Christmas and New Years)

We put on some standards to listen to enjoy the new amp/pre amp combo...

I think I have purchased Fleetwood Mac Rumors in 5 diffferent formats... this DVD-A is FANTASTIC :music:

Goucho is another outstanding listen...

Attachments

• steely_d3.jpg
    steely_d3.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 127
  • volume_3.jpg
    volume_3.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 128
  • fleetwood_m1.jpg
    fleetwood_m1.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 130
  • seed2.jpg
    seed2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 132
First day to just listen to music in a couple of weeks... (we had 2 sets of grandparents for Christmas and New Years)

We put on some standards to listen to enjoy the new amp/pre amp combo...

I think I have purchased Fleetwood Mac Rumors in 5 diffferent formats... this DVD-A is FANTASTIC :music:

Goucho is another outstanding listen...

Nice selections Scott, I have all of them and they go into rotation regularly.

Black pizza time with a couple of classics....

Attachments

• DSCF0241 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0241 (Medium).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 119
This is a must have for Luka fans (Testify Brother Wayne!).

Bob is correct, this is a great set.

Is it available in the NTSC format now?
I picked this up months ago, but the DVDs were only available in the PAL format and I'm forced to watch on my computor, would really like to watch in the theater room.

The CD is outstanding and I still listen to this at least once a week.

Jesse Cook - Montreal
Martha Wainwright - I know you're married but I've got feelings too
Stacey Kent - The boy next door

A very synergistic selection!

Attachments

• jc.jpg
    jc.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 757
  • mw.jpg
    mw.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 770
  • sk.jpg
    sk.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 862
Spinning a disk that just came in from BMG yesterday.

dreaming out loud by One Republic

nice background music...that's about it

an American Gramaphone morning

Last nite I re-cleaned my entire Mannheim Steamroller Fresh Aire collection and they are getting a workout this AM. Chip Davis and Don Sears introduced me to 'New Age' back in 1975 !

Attachments

• IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 893
Mark Knopfler "Golden Heart" Its a HDCD and its GOOD !

Attachments

• 51B5M7T9QAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    51B5M7T9QAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 743
This morning a couple of Oldies but Goodies

Charles Mingus ~ The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady

B.B. King ~ Live At The Regal on MoFi Gold

Mark Knopfler "Golden Heart" Its a HDCD and its GOOD !

CAP Great pick!! I got to see Knopfler live last summer. Great band Excellent musicianship.
For me it was some 1 a.m. early morning listening King Crimson The Court of the Crimson King. One of my best sounding cd's. Stunning on the Logans. D.R.

I've been working all day, so no vinyl - only CD's :mad:

This Harmonia Mundi release of Handel's Organ Concertos Op.4 with Egarr conducting the Academy of Ancient Music is one of the best recorded and best sounding SACD's I've picked up recently.

I was at the Virgin Megastore in Denver yesterday and heard Ray La Montagne's "Gossip in the Grain" playing and had to pick it up. There are hints of Damian Rice, Nick Drake and Beck (a la "Sea Change") sprinkled through this fine CD and it's very well recorded and sounds great through the CLS's.

Speaking of great sound, I also found the new release from Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile is a stunner. Comprized of nothing more than Meyer's plucked and bowed bass and Thile's brilliant work on mandolin, I wondered if the pairing might get tedious over the course of an entire album, especially since there's no additional supporting cast and none of the fine vocals and harmonies that charcterized Thiles work with Nickle Creek. Not to worry, this is a compelling album somewhere between classical, bluegrass and jazz. Ignore the goofy song titles ("Ham and Cheese", "The Farmer and the Duck", "Slow Song for a Dog"), this is great music making.

Snow Patrol's latest release "A Hundred Million Suns" starts off a bit slow, wasn't sure I was going to like it especially. But, by the time I was in a few songs I found myself ceasing to work and engaged with the music. If you're a fan at all of their stuff you won't be disappointed.

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 724
  • montagne.jpg
    montagne.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 680
  • MeyerThile.jpg
    MeyerThile.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 675
  • snowpatrol.jpg
    snowpatrol.jpg