Summit Platform/install

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
Been thinking of trying to put a platform under the summits that are sitting on carpet so as to get better foundation any suggestions on what I should use? I have seen this while looking at the forum but no luck finding it. Thanks

I have been exploring the same thing. Options I have come across are, depending on budget, just get granite or marble slabs. If required, put some cheap cork blocks under them.

You can get more expensive stuff - for example in London we get the Audiophile base platforms and the Townshend Audio platforms, the latter cost 960 pounds. Users of both give good feedback on the sound, Townshend are good if you specifically want the sound to stop going through your floor to the neighbor below. If you don't have that problem, I will just go to a granite/marble vendor and buy a 14 * 24 * 2 inches slab and see how it works.

I put 1 1/8" granite slabs under my Summits and it definitely helped tighten up the bass. With the down firing sub in the Summits, I would not recommend anything that does not have extreme mass/density. Granite has both qualities and while some might bring up the "ringing" phenomenon, that only occurs under specific conditions (e.g.: material thickness, size + non damped).

Steve's (sb6) system sounds fantastic, so I would agree with his suggestion of granite slabs. If you want to take it even further, Adona racks use a combination of granite, mdf and sorbethane shelves and you can buy them individually. I don't think you'd hear any difference between using them versus the plain granite slabs, in this application, though.

Been thinking of trying to put a platform under the summits that are sitting on carpet so as to get better foundation any suggestions on what I should use? I have seen this while looking at the forum but no luck finding it. Thanks

When I had the Summits in my system, I used an isolated base from SoundGuard. I am not certain if these are still available but these devices accomplished getting the speaker off the carpet, neutralizing any vibration effects and definitely cleaned up the low frequencies. You might look at "amplifier" bases from Sound Anchors as an alternative.

gordon: is subdude a member or is it a business? can set me in the right direction on this. and what is availbe at amazon? thanks

It's a product (platform) that is designed for speakers that reduces vibrations.

Goggle "subdude" and read the reviews on Amazon.

Isn't that what this thread is about?

Try and if you don't like, just return for a full refund.

GG

The problem with the Subdude is that it has very little mass - 4lbs. Granite is ~10x that further stabilizing the overall structure and provides tight accurate waver-free bass. I assume the Subdude is just a piece of MDF with felt....

Hi sb6,

I'm not convinced that mass is the sole criteria for successful dampening.

On my Summits and now on my MBL's, I use the BDR pucks, which go between the spikes and my wood floor. They are the size of a hockey puck and are quite "light". Very effective at eliminating any speaker vibration / floor energy transfer. I've read numerous comments about "Stillpoints". Appears to be a phenomenal product but is quite pricey.

I believe there are many ways to get the desired result, which is decoupling the speaker from the floor.

Some are more expensive than others. Best advice, try in your system and see what you think. The "subdude" may work for you, is pretty inexpensive and you can return, if you buy from Amazon, for a full refund.

GG

Last edited:
Hi Gordon,

I agree mass is not the sole criteria for dampening/eliminating vibrations, but should be considered an important component of it, especially since the Summits have a down firing woofer as you know. It's one thing to isolate a speaker, but when the driver is firing directly down on the to-be supporting surface, mass and isolation become increasingly more critical. I found with the granite that a substantial amount of bass that was irritating the family members on the first floor no longer did so.

Also, I have heard what Stillpoints can do; amazing little devices, but as you said, they are very expensive.

Hi sb,

Glad you like the granite and that is really all that matters.

I also agree that the "down firing" woofer in the Summit exacerbates the decoupling issue.

Gordon

IMHO, this might varies to electronics and room acoustic PLUS wooden floor installation differences. For mine, I use Spire, no down firing but still has one powered sub front firing.

I originally install the spire on granite platform; very sturdy and sound right on first installation. After a while, I started to change some electronics down the chain ( Amp, source ) so does associated cable ( spkr , pwr). At the end, I prefer the sound I got from inexpensive small brass hockey puck.

Saw you mentioned subdude, which size you recommended? I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Chai.

Attch: old granite platform, current setup.

unyhedyd.jpg
unezy5aq.jpg
yra9a9uq.jpg

Hi Chai,

IMHO, the little brass cups cannot and do not decouple the speaker from the floor regardless of what is said or written about this product. They do protect your wood floor from the spikes. Having said this, you may like the extra bass bump caused by the floor / speaker interaction. If that's the case, nothing wrong with that but I would suggest better isolation. Vibrations of any kind compromise audio quality.

My BDR pucks do a phenomenal job of decoupling. There are other options but the goal should remain the same. Vibration reduction / elimination.

The subdude only comes in one size. Given the price / construction, don't expect total isolation but it might be enough to suit your individual tastes.

GG

PS: Very nice looking system by the way. Also, looking at your speakers, appears you haven't adjusted the azimuth angle of your panels to be perpendicular to the floor. You really should try this. The difference is quite astounding.

Last edited:
Hola. Perhaps this tip might help. I had used it on wood floors, with good results. Wood floors are very common here in Costa Rica. Two coins, one big coin and another smaller, made of different brass, on each spike. The smaller coin at the top. Happy listening!

My dear friend,

With all due respect, this will not accomplish the goal of decoupling the speaker from the floor.

Gordon

HI I have a long thread running on my tribulations on another UK based site. So I got Townshend Audio stands specially designed for summits. They are supposed to be the best decouplers for many speakers, as they use some sort of spring loaded thing in the middle that stops vibrations from going in. However, while they produced excellent sound, they have a hole in the middle to allow for the woofer. That causes the woofer to fire sound straight into the ground, and this disturbed my neighbors below. Now neighbors are friendly, so I have been going down and experimenting with stuff. Granite slabs and Auralex Gramma both seem to reduce the vibrations to an acceptable minimum. I have also bought one of those rubber mats that is to be placed below washing machines to reduce vibrations, which I will place below the granite. I will also put the granite on anti vibration feet. This stuff has been posted to me so will have more results to report back weekend.

However, if you don't have my problems of neighbors below, strongly suggest the Townshend. The midrange was amazing, the bass was fuller, every piano note was extended, and for 30 minutes I had the sound I wanted. Then the neighbors came up. The granite and auralex kind of stop the the sound short and make it more focused rather than more open which the Townshend did. I guess their reputation in the UK is more from box speakers which are not downward firing. However they cost 1 grand, and another advised that I could get cycle tire tubes, blow them up, and put them below the granite to get a decoupling

Back