Subjective vs. Objective

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you are saying that an ML sounds like a Sanders, which sounds like a Soundlab. A pretty gross oversimplification IMHO.

GG that was satire on the cable guys. You should be able to know by now who thinks what

But I think they will sound the like the Ethos and the MBL anyway. A stat is a stat, and an omni is an omni. Just sends music out in all directions.

No, no. They'll sound very different to the Ethos because the dielectric used on the earth-pin shielding is not so good so I've heard. Exchange the bias power cord for something from Nordost (only prerequisite is that it costs more than the speaker) and it's like "lifting a veil". It should be considered an essential upgrade. But bear in mind it turns a $60,000 speaker into a $120,000 speaker and there is some other competition at that price point. :)

And because it's such a revealing speaker, make sure that anything you play on it has been downloaded through submarine cable only. It is instantly recognisable if the download has passed through satellites and this makes the audio unbearable.

:) :)

Agreed Ken, that's my next and final speaker. Can pick up a MK1 model on the used market for $20K or so. For what they do and IMHO, I consider that a bargain among the "uber" priced speakers.

Gordon

Having the benefit of CLX and 101Es within walking distance of each other a few years ago, I rated the MBLs 8.5 and the CLX 9 out of 10 on this forum in a show report. The 101 Xtreme however is a LOT better if you can get richer, Gordon:) I'd have them over the CLX but what a price difference.

Objectively, strictly a subjective assessment, you understand:D

TBH the 101E lost marks for its bass performance which I do not consider adequate for the money. The CLX is on dodgy grounds there too. Maybe 8 and 7.5 would be more realistic if a 10 rated speaker were to exist.

Last edited:
And because it's such a revealing speaker, make sure that anything you play on it has been downloaded through submarine cable only. It is instantly recognisable if the download has passed through satellites and this makes the audio unbearable.

:) :)
We're on the same page, Adam. I'm currently having my room trenched for the installation of my newest cable acquisition:

10s8adf.jpg

I read a review in a high end rag promising crystal clear highs and truly subterranean bass.

Having the benefit of CLX and 101Es within walking distance of each other a few years ago, I rated the MBLs 8.5 and the CLX 9 out of 10 on this forum in a show report. The 101 Xtreme however is a LOT better if you can get richer, Gordon:) I'd have them over the CLX but what a price difference.

TBH the 101E lost marks for its bass performance which I do not consider adequate for the money. The CLX is on dodgy grounds there too. Maybe 8 and 7.5 would be more realistic if a 10 rated speaker were to exist.

I thought you reserved the 10 for the one you spec'd?

Justin,

Thanks for the input. As you know, I have great regard for your insights. Regarding money, please remember that I will likely (absent winning the lottery) be buying a used pair of the MK 1 at about $20K or so. In my mind, this is the price one should use to judge performance and compare with other transducers on the market. From that perspective and from what I've heard, I'm pretty confident about my current plan. But as you know in audio, nothing is for certain. I may hear something in the next two years or so that makes all of this irrelevant.

Regarding the CLX, way too big for my visual tastes.

Best,

Gordon

Justin,

Thanks for the input. As you know, I have great regard for your insights. Regarding money, please remember that I will likely (absent winning the lottery) be buying a used pair of the MK 1 at about $20K or so. In my mind, this is the price one should use to judge performance and compare with other transducers on the market. From that perspective and from what I've heard, I'm pretty confident about my current plan. But as you know in audio, nothing is for certain. I may hear something in the next two years or so that makes all of this irrelevant.

Best,

Gordon
Gordon, my wife saw and heard the 101s at a Montreal show, and said she would happily live with them, but I find the too large for my visual taste. The CLXes, however, I would happily live with.

BTW this thread has lost its way.

Happy to as one of my friends started and owns the company! Small world. Contact Rob Ronulfson directly or if you send me your contact info I'll get him to contact you. They'd be glad to show you the factory and a custom listening session. I wish I could afford them but not in my budget even at a friends price. Note that they have been at most of the audio shows yet I'm not sure about Europe.
Bernard, Zaidman, can you please go listen to the Muraudio, the Omnidirectional Stats in Ottawa and let us know what you think of them? I am interested in these. Since there is no dealer network here, factory direct might be much more reasonable here for the ultimate dream speaker. Absolute Sounds review said that it was the best reproduction of orchestra he heard. They crossover seamless at 450 Hz (which I understand is a dream crossover point many manufacturers try for but achieve only higher or lower, and is also the frequency at which they tune at the beginning of an orchestra). The reviewer also says that they sounded much better than the MBLs on which they were modelled. If you think it is good, I will fly down later in the year to have a listen.

Justin,

Best,

Gordon

Whilst they are quite different to each other they are both obviously very good. The difference in rating of 0.5 is just down to show conditions, personal preferences and possibly\probably driving kit.

TBH I don't think either would work that well in my listening room, I am right on the limits with the ones I have. CLX is juts that little bit too much bigger, 101E would need more all round space.

Given the space I could live with 101E easily. At lower volumes I think it would be the better speaker. I'm not convinced about ESLs at low volume.

Well mate from your statements I'm having a hard time believing that have a telecommunications background yet you make quite the emphatic statements comparing point to point links versus data networking. Its like a LAN administrator saying they know all about wide area networking technology. I mean no disrespect yet there's quite a difference. Since you're the one standing on the soapbox making absolute statements I think its you that needs to explain in detail including how you compensate for well known packet loss and latency across networks that are not controlled by the user or one company. That does make a difference even with buffers on time sensitive applications. hmmm... perhaps as part of that you can explain to all the satellite internet users why their USB cable outperforms their satellite during a snow storm.

Anyways if it helps I'll just say you win and we can all move on to more important topics.

Go on - go for it. Explain why if I send data down a USB cable, that data might be different than if I had sent it down a ethernet cable or over a satellite link.

Do you worry that the USB cables that were used to update the navigational database on your next commercial flight might have suffered some "linear losses" and you're going to crash into the nearest mountain?

I think you're joking so I won't take any more of your bait.

hmmm... perhaps as part of that you can explain to all the satellite internet users why their USB cable outperforms their satellite during a snow storm.

Oh dear - we were never talking about performance during a snow storm. We were talking about data accuracy. We all know that performance is dictated by the clock in the DAC.

Anyways if it helps I'll just say you win and we can all move on to more important topics.

In the absence of your ability to provide any explanation to the contrary, I think so. Finally!

oh dear - still skirting the question with piecemeal answers, sarcasm and tidbits of technical prowess we can all google. come on and answer your own questions and prove you know what you're professing. I wasn't the one quoting satellite links and the internet in his statements.

Oh dear - we were never talking about performance during a snow storm. We were talking about data accuracy. We all know that performance is dictated by the clock in the DAC.

In the absence of your ability to provide any explanation to the contrary, I think so. Finally!

Back