Spires are hard to beat!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveneumann

Reaction score
Over the past several months, I have been searching for a new speaker that has all of the qualities of my Spires but with bigger macrodynamics, more body and better off axis listening. My budget has been up to $25,000.

What I've learned in the process is that Spires are damn good speakers! In fact, it has been hard to come close to the coherence, transparency, speed, micro dynamics, and tone of the Spires. Here is the list of speakers that I have auditioned so far and some brief comments on each.

Vandersteen Quatro - Nice but not a wow. Was paired with top end Ayre electronics. Would be a sideways move at best.

Vandersteen 5A - Somewhat veiled in the midrange, and the bass while powerful was a bit disconnected from the rest of the music. Paired with Audio Research tube gear.

Maggie 3.6 - These sounded really good paired with McIntosh electronics, and were more seamless with better bass than the Spires. But they are just too physically imposing for my tastes and they do not disappear as sound sources. But I can see why there are so many avid Maggie fans, especially given their reasonable cost.

Revel Ultimate Salon 2 - I had high expectations for this speaker given the rave reviews, but was disappointed. Mated with McIntosh and Classe electronics they sounded dull and lifeless, with a certain midrange coloration that I found annoying.

Wilson WP-8 - I wanted to like these, since they are available at very reasonable prices. They played big, very dynamic and exciting, powerful bass, good soundstage. But they were also slightly harsh sounding, even paired with McIntosh electronics, and they did not match the coherence of the Spires.

Wilson Sophia 2 - Given the rave reviews, I had high expectations. But these were the least coherent speakers I auditioned and the bass seemed to be about 1/2 beat behind the rest of the music. Paired with Naim and also McIntosh.

Wilson Sasha - This is the replacement for the WP8. Overall, this is a great speaker, the best I've heard so far. I heard it in 3 different cities, with different electronics. Each time, I found myself wanting them. They are very coherent, throw a huge soundstage, have excellent micro and macro dynamics, and have great tone. The problem...they cost $27,000 and are too new to be found on the used market.

Avant Garde Duo Omega - These sounded very dynamic and detailed, much more so than my Spires, with great imaging. But the bass was disconnected from the rest of the music and there is a certain coloration that I'm not sure I could live with in the long run. They were mated with top end Audiopax amps and BAT Rex preamp.

Spendor 100's - These have a great midrange, maybe a tad too warm, but the bass sounded slow and they are not full range. Paired with MF and Meridian electronics.

I have several more speakers on my short list including Magico, Verity, Gamut and YG but most of these are really hard to find an audition. Not sure where this is all going to end up, but one thing has become very clear in this process is the excellence and value of the Spires. So for now, I'm very content to just my system knowing that there isn't much better out there for at least a reasonable price.

I own a pair of Spires and concur with your conclusion!

It might be worth you trying to audition the CLXes, perhaps with a pair of subs.

Indeed. Or some Soundlabs. $25,000 should see a pretty good pair of something better than the Spires, really. The CLX is leagues better, IMHO.

I agree that the Spire is hard to beat.

- Magico v3 is inferior - it sounds extra inferior to those who are used to the coherence of electrostatic sound.

- Magico mini 2 does some things better - slightly better dynamics and better bass integration, but it's midrange is inferior. The mini is over $30K.

- Another option is yg kipod at $40K, which is a pretty good speaker.

I agree with Justin that if you want to upgrade, go with the CLX or the Soundlab. You can have a factory re-built pair of soundlabs for pennnies on the dollar. If you have the space, this is the biggest no-brainer in audio.

Justin,

Good idea but I think they are bigger than the Maggies so Dave may have the same aesthetic issues.

Here's a couple of other candidates if you can find a dealer near you.

Analysis Audio, which is a ribbon speaker in several model choices and a box speaker I found quite compelling at this years RMAF, the Merlin VSM.

The Merlin's retail for $11K I believe and have a small footprint but sounded quite big for their size.

GG

Hi Steve,

Merry Christmas to you and you darling wife.

Agreed regarding the MBL's although Dave needs to know, if he doesn't already, that they are a bear to drive. Extremely inefficient.

Gordon

I agree with your thoughts about the Wilsons.....hate 'em!

See what you think of some Audio Physics or some Avalons!

But yes - the Spires are great. Also try the CLX/Descent and spend the remainder on an electronics upgrade too!

I agree that at the price point, those Spires are darn hard to beat! I think even in our review, we said the Spires were the bang for the buck in the price point for ML...

the CLX is better but it's bigger and the room you need for it to sound good is bigger still and if you like a lot of bass well get ready for even more equipment.I was right on the edge of upgrading my vantages to summits but just was not sure but then logan came out with the spires right before tweeter went out of biz at that time I had owned vantages for about 10 months ( also a superb speaker ) so I put them back into their boxes and got a full refund towards my spires.every audio upgrade I have made to my system has been heard thanks to the resolve of my spires.

Wilson Sasha - This is the replacement for the WP8. Overall, this is a great speaker, the best I've heard so far. I heard it in 3 different cities, with different electronics. Each time, I found myself wanting them. They are very coherent, throw a huge soundstage, have excellent micro and macro dynamics, and have great tone. The problem...they cost $27,000 and are too new to be found on the used market.

I heard the Sasha briefly the other day driven by a big YBA amp, PS Audio's new transport and DAC with a Herron preamp. Music playing was the Carmen Fantasie with Mutter the violinist. Recording I am very familiar with.

This was the best sound I have heard for some time. I have always regarded Wilson's as horribly overpriced but this was good enough to think that in the event of a lottery win I would be auditioning. The sound had an immediate rightness which required no analysis.

Please note that this was a brief listen but leave your Wilson preconceptions at the door and have a listen.

Kevin

First, Merry Christmas all!

Well, I didn't mean to start a thread to bash Wilsons or any other speaker. My intent was to just share my experience and commenting on just how good the Spires are compared to some other well known contenders.

Kevin - I agree with you that the Sasha is a very different Wilson speaker and in three different auditions at three different dealers my experience was the same with me muttering to myself, "Oh, now I get it!"

And to all recommending the CLX, yes they are also on my short list. But for now, it's back to enjoying my current system.

Regards.

You could always wait to see if Justin wants to sell his Apogees (if he ever gets them, that is !) :devil:

I heard the Sasha briefly the other day driven by a big YBA amp, PS Audio's new transport and DAC with a Herron preamp. Music playing was the Carmen Fantasie with Mutter the violinist. Recording I am very familiar with.

This was the best sound I have heard for some time. I have always regarded Wilson's as horribly overpriced but this was good enough to think that in the event of a lottery win I would be auditioning. The sound had an immediate rightness which required no analysis.

Please note that this was a brief listen but leave your Wilson preconceptions at the door and have a listen.

Kevin

I heard a pair at Audible Elegance in Cincinnati driven by a MAC MC-2301....also changed my opinion about Wilsons...and if MAC would modify their 275 to sound like the 2301:music:

I heard the Sasha's (as did a number of us here) at RMAF this past year driven by all ARC gear. I had never been much of a Wilson fan either (to be fair I'd never heard the big WHAM's or the Alexandria's), but I could have spent the entire day in that room. The Sasha's really are something quite special. If I had that kind of coin they would certainly be high on my list.

i have to make it to RMAF this yr. where is it held at tim?

We'll have to go together Jim - there's been a pretty good group from the site the past 2 years and I've made it all 5 years so far. Great show for the audio enthusiast. It's always been at the Marriott in the Denver Tech Center with occasional spill over into another hotel (can't recall the name - Omni perhaps) just down the street.

Thanks for your impressions Dave! I enjoy reading other peoples opinions on speakers. Your comment on the Vandy's struck me. I too have been considering a speaker upgrade and the Vandy's were of intrest. Not that I'm planning on anything soon, the Spire is holding its own very well.

It must be nice to have so many speakers available to listen to. The best we can get here is at Best Buy:(

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your comments. I would encourage you to listen to the Vandersteens if you are interested. It's always better to actually hear speakers for yourself rather than relying on others' opinions. We all hear differently and have different biases and things that are important to us. Several people have told me that they would never characterize the Vandersteen 5A's as veiled or colored in the midrange.

It's not been easy to get these auditions. I tend to travel a bit for work and pleasure so my auditions included Scottsdale, Nashville, Raleigh, Cincinatti, and Indianapolis. I have a buddy who has the Avant Garde system and another who sells Spendor.

In the past, I have bought speakers (new and used) without actually hearing them. Sometimes I've been lucky and other times I've made costly mistakes. I'm done with that!

The main thing I've learned through this process is just how good the Spires are for what I value in music reproduction. Regards.

Back