Shunyata Research.... are they worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The capacitors are placed between Line and Neutral. AC has no positive and negtive. You DO NOT want to add capacitance to ground, as this will cause high amounts of leakage current on the ground and chassis. This will cause a shock hazard.

Make sure the capacitors used are rated for at least 250VAC, Metallized Polypropylene with a 10,000 AFC rating.

Last edited:
Ah yes, neutral. I knew it wasn't Neg. but the correct term wasn't comming to me :)

I didn't mean capacitors to the ground, but wasn't sure if some resistor or inductor was needed.

I am thinking I'll do this in the comming months :)

I finally got my new Wadia 581i today and listening to it right now. Sounds awesome so far. A review is forthcoming.

Here is something interesting I read in the Wadia manual concerning power sources for the Wadia players. I believe the Art Audio manual says something similiar but I'll have to check.

"Connecting to AC Power
The best performance is obtained when the Wadia 581is Disc Player is plugged directly into the wall with the
power cord provided. The Wadia has power conditioning, surge suppression and an extremely sophisticated
overall protection scheme. It should not be necessary to use surge protectors power conditioners or aftermarket
power cords, some of which may degrade the sonic performance. If you wish to experiment with any of these
devices, work closely with your local dealer – and most of all, trust your own ears."

Oh boy! It has been awhile since I read about Wadia. I am wondering how their current stuff sounds. I have fond memories of one of their transports that I borrowed briefly during the early 90's. Unfortunately, it cost too much and my wife made me take it back!

A system's noise floor has to do with the softest, finest, most minute level of detail that you system can reproduce at a given sound level. A system with with a higher noise floor would have to be turned up louder to hear the same level of detail. This is usually associated with inner-detail.

What you are refering to is background noise. As far background noise goes, there are the ugly feedbacky kind of sounds you are describing as well as grey, muddy backgrouds (i.e, not black background). You will know it when you hear it go away. There you go. Hope I made it a little clearer than mud.
Jim,

Thanks for the explanation. What you call system noise floor I would call resolution. Passive line stages have a reputation for being highly resolving even at low volumes. So may be that's why phrases like "lower noise floor" and "blacker background" don't mean anything to me. Alright, "noise floor" does, but in an engineering sense only, and not like audiophiles appear to be using the term. BTW, are you still using the Placette?

Jim,

Thanks for the explanation. What you call system noise floor I would call resolution. Passive line stages have a reputation for being highly resolving even at low volumes. So may be that's why phrases like "lower noise floor" and "blacker background" don't mean anything to me. Alright, "noise floor" does, but in an engineering sense only, and not like audiophiles appear to be using the term. BTW, are you still using the Placette?

Yes, I still am using the placette. Its a great piece of gear.

All I know is the Hydras sell like hotcakes (at least the 4's and 6's) on Agon. I bought a Panamax 5500ex because of the good things I had read and it has the coolest blue led meters (ok I am still a big kid easily swayed by kickass neon looking lights). :music:

And by the way, my Krell owner's manual said the same thing about power conditioners, just "plug it into an outlet". Well they may know tons more about their equipment, but this dumb Kentucky boy isn't taking a chance of a voltage surge frying something that costs more than some small cars.

Last edited:
My .02 worth. Bought a Shunyata Venom power cable for $100 yesterday from my dealer to see what if anything it would do for my Rotel RB 1070 amp driving my Aeon i main speakers in a five channel setup. Was not expecting much since I have tried PS Audio and some DIY power cables with no change to speak of. Replaced the stock cord and the quality of sound improved substantially! Lower noise and the upper midrange on the new Tom Petty CD was not nearly so bright. All the info was there but sounded clearer and less strident. Put back my old cord and the sound reverted back to what it usually sounded like. Certainly not day and night difference, but a musically significant improvement IMO. I am now a convert and will replace the cords on my DVD player and Rotel receiver when funds allow.

Back