My source is now up to par! Cary 306/200 vs PS Audio Digital Link III

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey, just got back from Colorado and look what happens....... another happy Cary CDP owner ! Congrats , I'm sure you will be as happy as I am with my 303/300 .

Joey, just got back from Colorado and look what happens....... another happy Cary CDP owner ! Congrats , I'm sure you will be as happy as I am with my 303/300 .

That's what happens when you leave... you miss out on stuff!!

Anyway, regarding the 805C... I think I put that back on backburner, I'm going to live with the system as it is right now and not make too many changes all at once. I know we talked about it over the phone - the SS route makes more sense to me right now. Perhaps in a year or two, I'll head down the 805AE route and really push the Summits.

As for now, all is well in Joeyland! ;)

How does one compare Cary CD player with Wadia 861 or Esoteric Cd player?

Update!

Alright... I had 3 friends over. None are audiophiles though 1 has heard my system through the various revisions through the last couple of years.

All 3 (1 had never heard a hifi system before and was baffled by why he had to sit in the sweetspot, just to show you how new the whole experience was to him) on 3 different occasions said that the Cary 306/200 sounded significantly better (more focused, more real) than the PS Audio DAC III.

I am not surprised.

Alright... I had 3 friends over. None are audiophiles though 1 has heard my system through the various revisions through the last couple of years.

All 3 (1 had never heard a hifi system before and was baffled by why he had to sit in the sweetspot, just to show you how new the whole experience was to him) on 3 different occasions said that the Cary 306/200 sounded significantly better (more focused, more real) than the PS Audio DAC III.

I am not surprised.

I asked before, what is retail on the Cary piece?

Is there any wonder the Cary is better than the PS. Only $4k difference.

And when you factor in the fact that the Cary is 1,750...

.. you wonder, man... was the $750 worth it?

Hell yes.

I asked before, what is retail on the Cary piece?

Please reread my first post, I posted the retails.
The PSA DAC III is a good $1000 unit, it does what the price demands. On the other hand, the Cary 306/200 is a good $5000 unit, it does exactly what the Ayre C5xe did for me during...

Is there any wonder the Cary is better than the PS. Only $4k difference.

And I'm glad there is a difference... proves to me that hi end does exist and we're actually getting something for our hard earned dollars.

Last edited:
Back