My source is now up to par! Cary 306/200 vs PS Audio Digital Link III

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
I just picked up the Cary 306/200 from a local audiophile who’s becoming a friend of mine. He has a knack for collecting CD players (among other things) and he somehow wanted to get rid of this venerable player. I dunno why, but it certainly was my gain!

Anyway, when I was over his place, we had a good time a/b-ing what was still his Cary CDP against my PS Audio Digital Link III DAC. It was apparent that the PSA DAC was subpar compared to this world class player. Imaging was smeared and timbre was not sufficiently accurate. There was grain between the players/musicians/instruments and there was a lack of stage depth – most apparent with the literal up-front presentation, a type of inadequacy I’ve come to associate with less than stellar audio equipment.

It was easy to see that my wallet was in trouble, but seeing as how my birthday is only 2 days away – I figured what the hell… I deserve this CDP! So we packed it up and I brought it home…

My theory...
My theory that has been honed by my experience over the years has been that stellar equipment always manage to tighten the image and bring it closer and closer to a dense, palpable, and believable rendition of the real deal. Phenomenal improvement in my system – with my still new Cary SLP-05 preamp at the helm and the help of a solid foundation that is the Cary 306/200, I don’t even want to recall back to the sound my Summits pushed out when I was still running them off of my Soundblaster XFi soundcard + Rotel RB1070/RC1070 combo!

Man… it’s taken me some time to really get the source squared away and despite the fact that the PS Audio DAC III was a fine DAC, I always felt that I had short-changed my system. It was still the weak link despite being an improvement over the stock DACs within my Squeezebox 3. Finally, I feel that my system is somewhat rounded and balanced.

Anyone on the fence regarding the Cary 306/200 should NOT BE. It is a phenom of a player and at used prices, it is a steal. The improvements are very discernable especially on a transparent speaker like the Summits. I would say that I’ve improved the system by approximately 25-35%. It does exactly what I felt that it should and no more/no less.

Improvements:
- Imaging has been improved. James Blunt is stable and very localized within a foot behind the speaker plane (depending on volume). The air around him is further improved (blacker) when I switch to Class A on the Plinius. I feel that on Class A/B with the Plinius, the imaging of his voice through the Cary is AS GOOD AS through the PSA DAC III with the Plinius at full Class A… now switch the Plinius to Class A through the Cary and you will see that this is no joke! The Cary 306/200 is an absolute imaging phenom!
- Timbre is improved. The guitar has better decay and better leading edge. The drums are more articulate. The trumpet has more life. It is very impressive that I could actually tell the difference when I a/b the PSA DAC III to the Cary… I’m not particularly keen with instruments, but the improvement is so apparent that I can’t help but notice!
- Musicality is up a notch. With improved timbre and imaging comes a helping dose of musicality. Things just sound better through the Cary. It’s not a question of psychoacoustics, it’s a step towards better listening.

Conclusion:
Reading the numerous reviews on this player, I was skeptical as to exactly what it would bring to my system. I am already happy with how my system sounds with all the amplification and preamplification improvements I had made over the recent year and I felt that I would be let down by the hype. However, I’m so glad that high end truly exists and that you get what you pay for. The PSA DAC III is a good $1000 unit, it does what the price demands. On the other hand, the Cary 306/200 is a good $5000 unit, it does exactly what the Ayre C5xe did for me during my audition last year. I have no doubt that more expensive or more current players are probably a tad better, but for the used price – I’m a totally happy camper.

I love the fact that it has digital inputs, a requirement of mine especially since most of my music collection is stored in a hard drive ala FLAC. The Ayre, Krell, and various other popular CDPs don’t have this luxury and despite the acclaim of said CDP, I can’t afford to buy a CDP purely for spinning the silver discs. The Cary came out on top from my research so it was purely a waiting game.

I don’t regret this purchase. The only regret I have is that I should’ve done this sooner.

Cherian, Burke, Wayne, and David… you guys gotta come over to the new abode and listen to the new system. It’s improved leaps and bounds.

Thanks all!

Joey

Here are some pics as always…
IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

More pics...
IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

New setup...
IMG_1231.jpg

Old setup...
IMG_1227.jpg

A/B-ing the two sources...
IMG_1234.jpg

Last edited:
Joey very nice!!!!!! I had a Cray 306 SACD player on my list but, It was just a lot out of my price range. :bowdown:

Good choice

Hi Joey,

First off, congratulations.

I recently purchased the 306 SACD. This was the most current iteration (Version 3) before it was recently replaced with the 306 Pro.

Everything you describe is consistent with my experience. The frosting on the cake was the discount I received while still receiving a full warranty.

Cary makes one very musical, engaging sounding CDP. For those who haven't heard their units, you should audition before making a final decision in this price range. No more worries about harsh sounding digits or listening fatigue.

In addition, being able to upsample in the digital and analogue domain is a huge plus, which allows one to fine tune the sonics. In my case, I use the coax digital input from my Magnum Dynalab XM tuner digital coax out, upsample the digital side to 96 and the analogue side to 192 and the sound of the MD tuner, which was quite respectable before, is transformed to another level.

I trust the Cary will bring you many hours of listening bliss.

Enjoy, mon ami.

GG

Joey, very nice, congrats!

You'll have to get some HDCD encoded disc's as well - it's a very noticible difference.

Too bad that Cary stuff is so ugly

:haha1:

Just Kidding - had to give you a hard time, I think their Industrial Design is top notch!

Congrats, Joey. Another great decision that will finally bring all the components of your system to the same level, and hopefully bring the system as a whole to an even higher level.

Now all you need is to get it moved into that nice large condo and get a few room treatments and you will be set! Believe me, if you think your system sounds good now, wait 'till you get it set up in a larger room with some space to breathe.

Nice catch! Next up... ya gotta upgrade that Monster Power Conditioner!

BTW, how does the Squeezebox digital to the Cary compare to playing Redbook CD's on the Cary?

Last edited:
Thanks ALL!!

I've been meaning to get my source up to par for so long, I've waited and scoured the 'gon for a good deal. When I was at work yesterday morning, I checked audiogon in between looking up patient information on the server - and there it was! I emailed the guy, talked to him on the phone, and made my way to his place (about 5 miles from mine)! We chatted about audio for about an hour and a half, did some a/b-ing, then we packed up the Cary!

It was a great experience, learning from a true musician (a violinist for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra) about the limitations and beauty of a stereo system.

Overall, I wanted the Cary 306SACD, but I'll settle for this. I've always wanted an Ayre C5xe, but the absence of any digital inputs kills it for me.

Love it... just love it.

I'm smiling - can't wait to move to the new abode!

Joey

Just to refresh, I listened some more today and yesterday - even had a friend who's never heard a hifi stereo system before come by and evaluate.

Simply put - like getting a new prescription for your glasses. The difference between the PS Audio DAC III and the Squeezebox3 is less than the difference between the PSA DAC III and the Cary. The change is not at all subtle and could easily be some of the biggest I've experienced in my system. Dramatic improvement of the image.

:D

SB3 to PSA DAC III = arbitrary score of 10 points improvement
PSA DAC III to Cary 306/200 = arbitrary score of 30 points improvement

Wow - congratulations. Looks great, I'm sure it sounds great.

I can just see you there getting a quick audio-fix between patient deatils!

I'm a fan of the Cary gear, especially the CD players. I've owned the 303/200 for a while and really liked the players warmth and broad soundstage. It also worked well connected directly into the amp using the built in volume control. Although, the volume adjustment was a little cumbersome the direct to amp sound was a nice feature since I didn't have a good preamp at the time.

The 306/200 with the digital inputs and volume control makes this particular model especially valuable since it doubles as an excellent DAC for todays music servers.

I'm a fan of the Cary gear, especially the CD players.
The 306/200 with the digital inputs and volume control makes this particular model especially valuable since it doubles as an excellent DAC for todays music servers.

Couple of things --

Joey - there was a thread many of us chimed in on re: what to replace first - the source or the pre. You have done both recently. I know you had 2 Carys for pe-amps.. and am not sure what you had prior to the Carys... But, can you comment on the greatest impact again - the source (squeezebox/DAC to Cary) or the pre (pre-Cary to Cary... & ...Cary(98) to Cary(05))- since you just replaced your pre?

Also, Craig's mention of the volume control - that is an interesting bit of info. Can you compare it direct vs the slp -05? I know I'm quite demanding!! :D Thx. Tim.

Couple of things --

Joey - there was a thread many of us chimed in on re: what to replace first - the source or the pre. You have done both recently. I know you had 2 Carys for pe-amps.. and am not sure what you had prior to the Carys... But, can you comment on the greatest impact again - the source (squeezebox/DAC to Cary) or the pre (pre-Cary to Cary... & ...Cary(98) to Cary(05))- since you just replaced your pre?

Also, Craig's mention of the volume control - that is an interesting bit of info. Can you compare it direct vs the slp -05? I know I'm quite demanding!! :D Thx. Tim.

Hey hey Tim!

1. I have not compared volume control... I don't think mine comes with that actually. It is an added option and I figured I did not need it considering I have a preamp. Though I can see how that's useful... damn.

2. Biggest impact? Tough to say because the system has been evolving ever since. I cannot say what amount of the sound I hear now is because of the preamp/amp/cdp... and though by simply adding a cdp to the system, one cannot just say that the aural difference is due solely to the cdp. Perhaps there is more to it than that, maybe it's also because of the downstream preamp and amp that make it possible for the cdp to sound great.

Who knows?

It's tough to unequivocally say just how much a particular component changed the sound because the component does not exist without the others.

However, if I were to guess... I would say that the largest sonic change I've experienced so far has been the Cary 306/200 cdp in my system.

The difference is larger than the difference between my Cary 98 pre to the Cary 05 pre. And is just very slightly larger (from what I can recall) than the difference between the Rotel 1090 and the Plinius in full Class A mode.

Now... I don't know what kind of difference we're talking about between my current Cary 05 pre and the others I've had (Rotel RC1070, Rogue Metis/Perseus/99 Magnum).... because I have not had a chance to compare directly. I would say that a move from a Rotel RC1070 pre to the Cary 05 would be a very similar jump.

And so would a jump from my initial Rotel RB1070 amp to my current Plinius in Class A.

Joey

Joey - really interested in your thoughts on the CDP playing CDs versus the digital input from the SB3.

What do you think?

Hey hey Tim!

1. I have not compared volume control... I don't think mine comes with that actually. It is an added option and I figured I did not need it considering I have a preamp. Though I can see how that's useful... damn.

2. Biggest impact? Tough to say because the system has been evolving ever since. I cannot say what amount of the sound I hear now is because of the preamp/amp/cdp... and though by simply adding a cdp to the system, one cannot just say that the aural difference is due solely to the cdp. Perhaps there is more to it than that, maybe it's also because of the downstream preamp and amp that make it possible for the cdp to sound great.

Who knows?

It's tough to unequivocally say just how much a particular component changed the sound because the component does not exist without the others.

However, if I were to guess... I would say that the largest sonic change I've experienced so far has been the Cary 306/200 cdp in my system.

The difference is larger than the difference between my Cary 98 pre to the Cary 05 pre. And is just very slightly larger (from what I can recall) than the difference between the Rotel 1090 and the Plinius in full Class A mode.

Now... I don't know what kind of difference we're talking about between my current Cary 05 pre and the others I've had (Rotel RC1070, Rogue Metis/Perseus/99 Magnum).... because I have not had a chance to compare directly. I would say that a move from a Rotel RC1070 pre to the Cary 05 would be a very similar jump.

And so would a jump from my initial Rotel RB1070 amp to my current Plinius in Class A.

Joey

So - I guess that makes sense. If you have something decent - nd replace it with something better - the law of diminishing returns applys. Not saying your squeezebox setup was not decent - but, I don't think it was in the same league as your new Cary piece.

I consider taking it up a notch - but I have Sunfire gear - and I question whether the change I would get would be worth the dinero. I don't know if going from a Sunfire TGIII processor to the Cary SLP -05 would be earth shattering. Given the price - I would want it to be.

So - I guess that makes sense. If you have something decent - nd replace it with something better - the law of diminishing returns applys. Not saying your squeezebox setup was not decent - but, I don't think it was in the same league as your new Cary piece.

I consider taking it up a notch - but I have Sunfire gear - and I question whether the change I would get would be worth the dinero. I don't know if going from a Sunfire TGIII processor to the Cary SLP -05 would be earth shattering. Given the price - I would want it to be.

The Cary did not replace the SB3 stock DACs, but the PS Audio Digital Link III DAC.

I bet you would like the 05, it took imaging to another level... and everything just sounded more right. I recall being able to listen to more complex tracks with the 05 vs the 98.

With the 98, I stuck with mostly single/double instrument + vocal tracks... with the 05, anything goes. But note that the 98 was a super preamp, Class A on Stereophile.... so the 05 had its work cut out for it. And yet, it still superceded the 98 by quite a bit.

Though still not as much as the Cary 306/200 surpassed the PS Audio DAC III IMO.

Joey

Back