Sanders Sound Systems Show Schedule

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger had a Tascam solid state recorder playing through his system.

I'll post more photos from the show when I get a chance...

I like the shower curtain in Roger's room;)

I also notice how he has leveraged his setup on the room diagonal. I was just reading one of his papers (I think it was one of his papers) where he mentioned a diag-setup was ideal for deflecting reflections etc. Seems to make first-order sense.

Also, does Roger offer black-faceplates for his monoblocks? When I get the urge to swing back to SS, his amps are very high on my list of candidates.

Thanks Peter for posting the sweet pics.

Last edited:
Also, does Roger offer black-faceplates for his monoblocks? When I get the urge to swing back to SS, his amps are very high on my list of candidates.

My recollection is that yes, he can have the faceplate custom-anodized to any color you want for small upcharge.

My stack (of ten) will be purple anodized :cool:

although THE Show had some good speakers, besides the Sanders, these 2 were the only other ones that really REALLY impressed me.

Not even the huge VMPS speakers impressed me, at least not with their choice of music that I heard it play. But they did have a live band on stage being recorded and then the recording was played right away on the speakers right in front of the band. Unfortunately I missed the demonstrations. A few other really top notch companies sounded so so, but I think it was the choice of music again. (I almost fell asleep listening to the Krell system on the penthouse level - the only system there. The most boring songs were being played). I just wish I had a better camera...

I saw the demo on Saturday and was disappointed. I am not sure if it was the recording method, the gear, or what but the recording sacrificed a TON of detail from the live performance. Not a good showcase of the equipment.

although THE Show had some good speakers, besides the Sanders, these 2 were the only other ones that really REALLY impressed me.

What are the speakers in the top shot of this post? Looks like some sort of ribbon\dipole bass configuration?

Same basic design concept as Scaena, but that's no Scaena model I've seen.

Sanders Speakers

Thanks Gary for the comments. Love the bit about how the visitors assumed the subs were on :)

Do you happen to recall the tunes that Roger chose to demo his 10Cs? I've come across some great stuff just be being mindful of what's being played during demos etc. To that end, I bought an amazing Dead Can Dance SACD after I heard a demo from this excellent Audiogon 2010 RMAF room-by-room review (with a slew of room recordings that mostly sounded fantastic... quite a feat for someone just bopping around various rooms doing quick field recordings).

http://live.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/ces.pl?&&RoomList&FM&&&&&&RMF10

Cheers

I had a chance to spend some time with Roger at his exhibit. Having owned apair of original Eros I, eventually upgraded to mkIII, the 10c represents a significant step upward over the past 15 years. Coherence between panel and bass driver is excellent, the MagTech amp an ideal match. Probably as good a sound as you can get for $13K. The trade-off is a narrow sweet spot but it's not a perfect world. Roger used Willie Nelson's Stardust, as well as Gaelic Blessing from Rutter's Requiem among others. Having had Summits, I think the 10c considering it is a speaker, DSP cross-over and stereo amplifier would be a better value.

I think Justin may have been asking about the ones further up... looking like a vertical stack of giant donuts that have apparently excited the rather tall and overtly erect ribbon (just above the maggies).

I'm at work now (late :( again) but at home I have a few more shots that have its name in it that I'll upload.

I believe the exhibitor said they go for $100K.

I could see the entire ribbon sway from side to side about and inch. Upon closer inspection, I was made aware that the ribbon was only connected to the glass at each end (top and bottom end) of the ribbon (forgot exactly how it was attached). So the glass has a cut out so that there is nothing in front nor behind the ribbon. The ribbon looks like a strip of aluminum foil folded like an accordian so when you look at it face on, the folds are parallel to the ground and the peaks and dips face you (like getting a birds eye view of a set of mountains instead of seeing a mountain skyline - not sure if that helps with the description, and i can't rem if I took a close up shot of the ribbons)

I'm not sure why they swayed (air movement due to woofers, just normal air circulation from the AC, convection, draft, people walking...) but I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the ribbon's reproducing sound. I overheard part of a conversation the exhibitor, and I think he said something like "...it will through the sound way over if wind..." Now, he could have been talking about a competitor with similar speaker desgins...

Here are some more photos, showing the name of them. Website has very little info on them, but does have a link to an online magazine with even more info on them, like price...but, it seems, I think, the mag is written in French.?...

soulsconics website

Attachments

• edStereoShow 157.jpg
    edStereoShow 157.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 371
  • edStereoShow 160.jpg
    edStereoShow 160.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 374
  • edStereoShow 161.jpg
    edStereoShow 161.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 883
  • edStereoShow 162.jpg
    edStereoShow 162.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 377
  • edStereoShow 164.jpg
    edStereoShow 164.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
That ribbon looks suspiciously like a Graz KLM2 to my eyes. A few hundred dollars worth at best. A few drive units, a sheet of glass or two, a bunch of magnets, $100K? Hm...:D

KLM2 pic from my Aps (I'm now on KLM5).

Peter - the ribbon you describe is the same as an Apogee one. I'm going to ask Graz if he made these ribbons, actually. They just might be in there without his knowledge...

attachment.php

one more...................

Neat stuff... so you were describing how the ribbons were swaying, how did they sound? Overall impressions? Seems like it was a pretty big room. Interesting use of copper ribbon connections in the cross-over as well - where I assume the copper ribbons are the ends of the coils themselves. I don't see any capacitors though... hmmmm. If there are none, seems like pretty gentle cross-over slopes.

Also, is that cross-over enclosure big enough? Why needlessly crowd those components? ;)

Attachments

• THE-show-1.jpg
    THE-show-1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 377
Those Dueland caps cost a fortune. I was looking into them for a DIY x-over upgrade.

The x-over point for that speaker is 500Hz. That's the same as my speakers, so no surprise there. Bit surprised about the swaying business. Mine don't -but they visibly move when driven to high volumes. Excursions of an inch or so sounds incredibly unlikely - like it has insufficient tension, almost, and is literally swaying in the breeze.

Back