Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2008

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know these are the mbl 101E's with a full complement of mbl electronics. I took the pictures and just listened. Boz Scaggs "Hey Miss Riddle" was like sitting in the studio. Nils Lofgren "Live Acoutic" (several cuts) was like being at the concert.

Horribly expensive yes, but in the top five of the show for me.

Tim, most definetly and you hit the nail on the head with "like being at the concert", for the MBL's like no other speaker conveyed a Concert Hall presence whereby music surrounded you......and we're only talkng two channels !

I can only imagine what MBL's top of line speakers in the correct room setting would be like !!

oh yeah... and those amps 250 lb "mini-coffins"

On the other hand...

I didn't grab any price list, or write down any model numbers. These pictures will have to speak for themselves. I know these are the mbl 101E's with a full complement of mbl electronics. I took the pictures and just listened. Boz Scaggs "Hey Miss Riddle" was like sitting in the studio. Nils Lofgren "Live Acoutic" (several cuts) was like being at the concert.

Horribly expensive yes, but in the top five of the show for me.

I think they go for 65k/pair and the amps around 40k/each.

Mystery Table?

This was shot pretty late in the day on Sunday as the folks in the room were actually starting to tear the system down. They had just removed a Koetsu cartridge from the tonearm on the right. I didn't get a chance to hear this room, but was so struck by the appearance of this turntable that I had to get a shot of it. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• MysteryTable01.jpg
    MysteryTable01.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 307
I think they go for 65k/pair and the amps around 40k/each.

The 101Es were $38,000 in 2002, but wil be somewhat more now. An active Audiogon listing claims $50K. They are very good, but they aren't worth it as the CLX beats it for $20K. Only my opinion, BTW.

The bigger ones produce a huge soundstage - massive! Way bigger than the CLX. I'd take them over a CLX, bit they are 9 times more expensive!

This was shot pretty late in the day on Sunday as the folks in the room were actually starting to tear the system down. They had just removed a Koetsu cartridge from the tonearm on the right. I didn't get a chance to hear this room, but was so struck by the appearance of this turntable that I had to get a shot of it. Anyone know what it is?

There's a shot I saw on Stereophile coverage of the show - have to rush now, but it is on there, so you can find out.

Red Rock Audio

I've always been entranced with the big Red Rock Audio Renaissance Triode monoblocks. For all their size (27H x 9W x 17.5DP and 100 lbs.), they put out only 50 watts. But what a sweet 50 watts it is. The amp uses a quartet of Russian 572-10 tubes in order to get there. I didn't capture notes on the rest of the equipment again as it was getting to be late in the day, but I did stick around long enough to hear some very sweet music from Kenny Burrell's "Midnight Blue" album spinning on the turntable. Michael Fremmer and I were both taking pictures of this turntable at the same time, so maybe he'll fill us in on the details of manufacturer and price in the next "Analog Corner". I do know that the tonearm is the da-vinci Grand Reference using Cocobolo wood for the actual arm (also available in a carbon fiber version). I know it's made in Switzerland and sells for a whopping 14,450.00 euros. I've read some sterling reviews of this arm though.

Attachments

• ReRock01.jpg
    ReRock01.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,280
  • RedRock02.jpg
    RedRock02.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,239
Last edited:
McIntosh

McIntosh was showing a whole bevy of their equipment paired with some beautiful Sonus Faber speakers. I could have listened for quite a bit longer but had to keep moving along. Those MC-275 monoblocks are sure a sight to behold though.

Attachments

• McIntosh01.jpg
    McIntosh01.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,813
  • McIntosh02.jpg
    McIntosh02.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,557
B&w

Bowers and Wilkins were showing their 40th Anniversay statement product the Signature Diamonds with a rack full of Classe gear. I'll tell you what, if I were to make the move into a B&W product this would be the one I'd want. Smaller than the 801 or 802 D Series, but every bit of the sound it seemed to me and there really is some magic in that diamond tweeter.

Checkout the cabinet work on these baby's too, that is some beautifully figured wood!

Attachments

• Classe01.jpg
    Classe01.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,708
  • Classe02.jpg
    Classe02.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,159
Last edited:
We had the RedRock's here for review and they were pretty dissapointing for 30 thousand dollars. Very cool looking and they'd be great amps for about 7000. Back when we had them, they were asking 40 thousand a pair!

But they don't play any louder than a MC275 or have any more resolution than a pair of Manley 250's. (which in triode mode still have about 130 watts per channel)

They do look very cool and they did keep the studio nice and warm in the winter though....

You know Jeff, you bring up a very good point that applies to all of the equipment we see not only at a show like this, but even in the dealer showrooms. Until you really get something home and listen to it in the context of YOUR system in YOUR room with YOUR music in mind, it's really kind of a crap shoot.

All the more reason to get out there supporting our local brick and mortar dealers, or if you don't have local folks carrying a piece your interested in, working directly with the manufacturers.

Last edited:
Jolida

Jolida had a couple of rooms, the bigger of which had this very nice system featuring their new Musical Envoy 200wpc tubed monoblocks. I really like the look and sound of these amps, but neglected to get the price. They use 2 211 output tubes (there ya go Justin), 2 EL34's as drivers and 2 12AT7's in each chassis. This system also consisted of a boatload of Aesthetic gear (which was all over the place it seemed), including their new Atlas power amps, an Audio Aero Capitole CD player used as a transport, and an mbl DAC as well as mbl speakers. The source in use when I was in the room was that sweet Technics reel to reel you see at the top playing Alan Parsons "I Robot". It sounded GREAT!

Attachments

• Jolida01.jpg
    Jolida01.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,414
  • Jolida02.jpg
    Jolida02.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,106
Why not get one of each (the inferior CD backing up the LP) ? :devil:

I'm not sure what I'll do as I am not a big fan of organ music. Also, I do have the Albinoni Adagio played by I Musici - considered by an old Italian friend to be THE definitive version.

I just ordered it from Acoutic Sounds (on LP of course). While I was on the phone I also subscribed to the Blue Note 45 Series. I've been picking them up piecemeal, but after a few listening sessions the last few days I've got to believe that they are about as good as recorded music get's so I'm in for the whole series. I guess I'm buoyed by the great state of the economy??? :eek:

No, I'm just a music nut and I have a problem...

Attachments

• CISG-8003.jpg
    CISG-8003.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,017
No, I'm just a music nut and I have a problem...

Tim,
Problem, What Problem?

Crack addiction is a problem.

Though my "Problem" is no where near the size of yours. My "Problem's" getting larger almost everyday.

This week while on vacation I built these shelfs in my basement to house my "Problem". Spent just under $200 on material. Much more cost effect than buying a premade rack. Took just a few hours to build

Thats my entire collection except for my DVDa, MoFi discs, XRCD's, HDCD's SACD's, DTS surrounds, DCC golds, and Bluray and DVD music videos, I keep them handy in my music room.

As you can see plenty of room for more. The shelfs are each 12 feet long.
Now it will be no "Problem" finding space for my growing "Problem".:D

Attachments

• cd.JPG
    cd.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,174
Looks good!

And with so many people getting out of their CD's now is the perfect time to fill up those shelves!!!

We had the RedRock's here for review and they were pretty dissapointing for 30 thousand dollars. Very cool looking and they'd be great amps for about 7000. Back when we had them, they were asking 40 thousand a pair!

But they don't play any louder than a MC275 or have any more resolution than a pair of Manley 250's. (which in triode mode still have about 130 watts per channel)

They do look very cool and they did keep the studio nice and warm in the winter though....

Jeff,

What's the Manley / Logan synergy like?

Musical Surroundings

There was a lot of great equipment in the Musical Surroundings room. The analog front end was a Clearaudio Anniversary AMG turntable ($10K), fitted with a Benz-Micro LP S-Class cartridge (sounds like a German car) ($5K), on a Helius Omega Silver Ruby tonearm ($4750.00). The digital front end was a Pathos Digit CD player ($4K). Pre-amp was the Aesthetix Calyso Signature ($7K) and the phono stage was the Aesthetix Rhea Signature (also $7K). Power amp was the stereo version of the Aesthetix Atlas ($8K). The speakers were the baby version of the big Focals, these being the Focal Diablo Utopia's ($14K). Interconnects and speakers cables were both Tara Labs The One and power conditioning was by Running Springs.

In a smallish room like this one it was an absolutely terrific sounding system.

Attachments

• Aesthetics01.jpg
    Aesthetics01.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,426
  • Aesthetics02.jpg
    Aesthetics02.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,178
  • Aesthetics03.jpg
    Aesthetics03.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,725
Jeff,

What's the Manley / Logan synergy like?

It's very good, especially in Triode mode. I was amazed at the fact that
those amps would even drive my Apogees!

Much more extended than my MC275 is, and because the Manley 250's use EL-34's instead of 6550's/KT88's it is pretty scrumptious in the midrange too.

But remember, 10 EL-34's per channel! Great for the winter, maybe not so great for summer. At 9000 a pair, probably one of the best deals in a high power tube amp going.

This is the end...

That's pretty much the bulk of what I saw and heard at the show that was worth reporting. To be sure there was a ton more, and there was a whole lot (like the entire Hyatt hotel) that I missed, but hopefully you got a flavor of what I experienced at this years show. I'm hoping Dave, Erik, Steve and others here present that were able to attend will jump in with more of their comments either reaffirming what I heard and saw or telling me that I'm full of $hit!

So here's a summary of some of my impressions:

Best Rooms for music:music:
  • Highwater Sound (Post #91)
  • Antique Sound Labs and Ref 3A (Post #105)
  • Jones Audio (Post #107)
  • True Sound Works (Apogee) (Post #35)

Biggest Suprizes;)
  • Jones Audio (Post#107)
  • True Soundworks (Apogee) (Post #35)
  • YG Acoustics (Post #43) - still not up to the hype, but showing promise

Biggest Disappointments:(
  • "Crap Audio" Chiminera speakers (Post #101)
  • Waterfall (Post #29)
  • Martin Logan - just because they weren't there!

Best Value:D
  • ACI Sapphires (Post #55)
  • Peachtree decco (Post #?)
  • ASL Hurricanes and Ref 3A Grand Veena's (Post #105)

Best Sound of Show (and I'm cheating with some ties) :bowdown:

#10 - Von Schweikert Unifield 3's with Audio Space amps (Post #28)
#9 - Rowland and Vienna Acoustics (Post #9)
#8 - Sanders (Post #3) -tie- YG Acoustics (Post #43)
#7 - Merlin and Joule Electra (Posts # 39 & 41) -tie- Marten and Lamm (Post #146)
#6 - Gershman Black Swans & VAC (Post #125) -tie- Analysis Audio & VTL (Post #44)
#5 - Wavac & Lansche (Post #54) -tie- Symposium & Emotive Audio (Post #21)
#4 - Von Schweikert VR-7 and VAC (Post #72)
#3 - Avalon & VTL (Post #137) -tie- Antique Sound Labs & Ref 3A Grand Veena's (Post #105)
#2 - mbl (Post #160)

#1 Best Sound of the Show - Focal Grand Utopia EM/Boulder/Clearaudio (Posts #48, #67 & #68)

Of course all of the above is my own highly biased opinion. I hope you all get the chance to come form your own next year!

It's very good, especially in Triode mode. I was amazed at the fact that
those amps would even drive my Apogees!

Much more extended than my MC275 is, and because the Manley 250's use EL-34's instead of 6550's/KT88's it is pretty scrumptious in the midrange too.

But remember, 10 EL-34's per channel! Great for the winter, maybe not so great for summer. At 9000 a pair, probably one of the best deals in a high power tube amp going.

Wow! My Jolida uses 4 EL-34's per channel and puts out enough heat to warm up a room pretty quickly.

Jolida had a couple of rooms, the bigger of which had this very nice system featuring their new Musical Envoy 200wpc tubed monoblocks. I really like the look and sound of these amps, but neglected to get the price. They use 2 211 output tubes (there ya go Justin), 2 EL34's as drivers and 2 12AT7's in each chassis. This system also consisted of a boatload of Aesthetic gear (which was all over the place it seemed), including their new Atlas power amps, an Audio Aero Capitole CD player used as a transport, and an mbl DAC as well as mbl speakers. The source in use when I was in the room was that sweet Technics reel to reel you see at the top playing Alan Parsons "I Robot". It sounded GREAT!

Tim, I love the sound from those amps. I listened to them extensively at United Home Audio, in MD. They do control MBLs a little better than my R1000, but they should since they have twice the power! (Yeah, I auditioned my amp on MBLs :rocker:) It would be a tough choice between the Envoy monos and the Rogue monos, but I'd probably go with the Rogues, as much for aesthetics as anything else. Jolida also make a pair of mono amps for less than 1/2 the price, but don't have the glass/blue front and are missing some of the premium parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back