Some of my must have albums

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardsweb

Reaction score
This didn't really fit in the music format, so here are some albums I think are must haves:

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
The classic quintessential jazz album and one of the all time greats. I'm sure you’ve heard it. If you haven't, you’re missing something very special. For you vinyl guys, the album takes this recording to the next level. Take Five is truly breath taking.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Kind of Blue is a jazz album that has transcended the genre of jazz and become one of a handful of recordings whose very existence changes everything. It is the landmark jazz album. The album's lineup is one of the most astonishing of all time, featuring such greats as John Coltrane, Bill Evans and Cannonball Adderley. Together, they're the definitive classic jazz band whose collective greatness will likely never be matched. Listening to this album will immerse you at once in a world that is dark, brooding, sophisticated, very cool, sexy, and langorous. Bottom line is: if you don't have this record in your collection, you don't have a collection.

Kenny Burrell - Blue Midnight
Midnight Blue is one of those records that you just put on, sit back and relax. It is blues felt the way Kenny feels, no piano, just his own groove. It demonstrates just how closely linked the blues and jazz truly are

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto

Here is another classic. You have all heard "The Girl from Ipanema", but did you know it was written about the seventeen year old Helô Pinheiro. She inspired Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes in 1962 to write this song. Sitting in a cafe they saw her every day going to the beach of Ipanema, a district of Rio de Janeiro. Also, on the album the girl singing is Astrud Gilberto, Joao's wife. She and Getz's wife, Monica, were in the studio to listen. There is some debate over who suggested Astrud try singing a verse; Stan, Joao or Monica, but whoever did, it created one of the most memorable songs in history. This is only one of the jewels on this album.

Patricia Barber - Modern Cool
This is an incredible album, right from the start. The very first cut "Touch of Trash" is sensuous music, showcasing Barber's voice and piano skills. Her voice is sultry and appealing. Close your eyes and just get lost in this smoky jazz.

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
In 1963, Muddy went back to his roots, unplugged and straight up Mississippi Delta blues. With Willie Dixon adding some fat bass, this is Muddy in all its simplicity. This album catches the essence of Muddy and blues like no other. You feel like you’re there with Muddy sitting on a wooden chair, cigarette in hand and tapping your foot.

The Beatles – Revolver
The strength of Revolver, like many other albums, lies in the fact that over thirty years later, the songs still sound fresh and innovative. This album along with Rubber Soul (another favorite of mine), represent a transition from the pop style of earlier albums to the rock music of later years. Revolver is a very spacey, druggy, trippy and far out album

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Call it a product of my generation, nostalgia or whatever, but for me this album captures the feeling of the late 60's more than any other I can think of. Not the hippie free love but for the first time the real angst of a generation over issues like the Vietnam War. Things like the innovative recording of the musicians milling around as the lead in to Whats Going On that brings you into the scene. This one touches my soul.

Steely Dan - Aja

You may know I am a certified Steely Dan junkie and AJA fanatic. This albums was a milestone in music. So, here is a break down on AJA.

1) Black Cow

This track features memorable solo performances by the late, great Victor Feldman (fender rhodes) and a young Tom Scott (tenor sax). It’s also worth noting that Tom Scott wrote ALL of the horn arrangements on Aja, the first time his unique phrasing and styling were heard outside of his solo releases. Trivia fact: drummer Paul Humphrey made his mark on the old TV show “Name That Tune”.

2) Aja

The title track is part jazz and part rock structured almost like a three part symphony; musically speaking, it has a head and chorus, but what would be the bridge features some of the most virtuoso free-form Tenor Sax (Wayne Shorter of Weather Report fame) and Drum (all-time great session drummer Steve Gadd) solos ever recorded. In fact, studying the transcribed Steve Gadd drum solo this was one of those performances you “learn” how to play your instrument from. Trivia fact: if you listen carefully, you can hear Timothy B. Schmit’s (of Eagles fame) high backing vocals in support of Donald Fagen.

3) Deacon Blues

This track became an instant classic for both its lyrics and solo tenor sax performance by Pete Christlieb. In fact, you can still find this big band jazz arrangement in the performance books of many high-school and college jazz bands. This was the lone track featuring Walter Becker on bass, quite a departure from the band’s early days where he was the featured bassist. Trivia fact: remember those screaming sax solos you used to hear from the Tonight Show band coming out of commercial breaks? That was none other than Pete Christlieb.

4) Peg

This track was one of the two “hits” (along with Josie) from Aja. It’s been described as one of the most densely layered Top 40 recordings ever, again featuring a famous guitar solo in what is essentially a 13 bar Blues. It also featured a very memorable Michael McDonald falsetto refrain, coinciding with his emergence as a driving force (and Grammy winner) with the Doobie Brothers. Trivia fact: guitar soloist Jay Graydon (another Grammy winner) later went on to write and produce for such notable performers as Al Jarreau, George Benson, and Earth, Wind & Fire.

5) Home At Last

A clever re-telling of Homer’s Odyssey (Fagen was actually an English major in college), this track is best known for Bernard “Pretty” Purdie’s driving beat that became an instant classic among drummers (if you can lay down the Home At Last groove, you can play drums!). Purdie, who also played on Deacon Blues, was nearing the end of a career as a first-call studio musician that began in the 50’s and included some of the most famous R&B hits of the 60’s. It is also the only track on this release to feature solos by both Donald Fagen and Walter Becker. Trivia fact: careful listening will once again reveal Timothy B. Schmit’s perfect backing harmonies.

6) I Got The News

While arguably the weakest track on the release, it never-the-less features a solid groove and steller background vocals by the now instantly recognizable Michael McDonald.

7) Josie

The other big hit off the release, this track is considered by some to be a rock classic. It combines typically cynical lyrics with outstanding guitar solos over yet another unique drum groove provided by Jim Keltner, another first-call session drummer from the 60’s & 70’s (who played with members of Cream and the Beatles to name a few). While the steady Chuck Rainey played bass on nearly every track, Aja features 6 different drummers on 7 tracks, unique even by today’s standards.

Nice write-up "W-W", thank God I have most of which are on your list !!

That's not a bad list. I happen to have 5 of them in my collection and I'll have to work on the rest.

I find that the Steely Dan albums are consistently excellent recordings, especially in the bass department.

I have them all except the PB and the Beatles album as both of those artists leave me unmoved. It's funny, I grew up with a friend who LOVED the Beatles and I heard them all the time. Even then I didn't get it and I still don't. Different strokes for different folks. Otherwise a great list.

Yes our music like our gear is very subjective. The only thing we can be sure of is we love Martin Logan speakers.

The short list are some of what I consider truly outstanding albums. Some have already stood the test of time and the newer we will have to wait and see.

Here are a few others in my eclectic collection that I like; not necessarily classics.

Matt Bianco - Matt's Mood
Karrin Allyson - In Blue
Stan Getz - Jazz Samba
Brian Bromberg - Wood
Ottmar Liebert - Nouveau Flamenco
Yo-Yo Ma - Simply Baroque II
Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love
Loreena McKennitt - The Mask and Mirror
B&W Sampler - Very Audiophile New Recordings
Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop
Herbie Han**** - Cantaloupe Island
Django Reinhardt - Jazz in Paris
Josh Turner - Your Man
Jamie Cullum – 20 something

I can't list just a few; I'm all over the place as far as my taste in music. One of the most wonderful things about this hobby is discovering new music/performers all the time, many of which I've learned about on this site.

about AJA...my music-geek friend pointed out to me that the amount of musical talent that converged in creating this album is phenomenal. check out the list...

Walter Becker - bass, guitar, electric guitar, vocals
Donald Fagen - synthesizer, keyboards, vocals, background vocals, whistle
Larry Carlton - guitar, electric guitar
Pete Christlieb - flute, tenor saxophone
Gary Coleman - percussion
Denny Dias - guitar
Victor Feldman - percussion, piano, keyboards, electric piano, vibraphone
Venetta Field - vocals, background vocals
Chuck Findley - horn, brass
Steve Gadd - drums
Jay Graydon - guitar, electric guitar
Ed Greene - drums
Paul Griffin - keyboards, electric piano, vocals, background vocals
Don Grolnick - keyboards, clavinet
Jim Horn - flute, saxophone
Paul Humphrey - drums
Richard Hyde - trombone
Slyde Hyde - brass
Plas Johnson - flute, saxophone
Jackie Kelso - flute, horn, saxophone
Jim Keltner - percussion, drums
Steve Khan - guitar
Clydie King - vocals, background vocals
Rebecca Louis - vocals, background vocals
Rick Marotta - drums
Shirley Matthews - vocals, background vocals
Lou McCreary - brass
Michael McDonald - vocals, background vocals
Michael Omartian - piano, keyboards
Dean Parks - guitar
Bill Perkins - flute, horn, saxophone
Bernard "Pretty" Purdie - drums
Chuck Rainey - bass
Lee Ritenour - guitar
Joe Sample - keyboards, electric piano, clavinet
Timothy B. Schmit - bass, vocals
Tom Scott - conductor, flute, tenor saxophone, lyricon
Wayne Shorter - flute, tenor saxophone

the album was produced by Gary Katz and had Roger Nicols and Bill Schnee as engineers, and Bernie Grundman did the mastering -- no wonder this album sounds great too!

Let's just hope that Aja will get the SACD 5.1 treatment, their whole back catalog deserves it...

Let's just hope that Aja will get the SACD 5.1 treatment, their whole back catalog deserves it...

I love the 5.1 version of Gaucho, would like to see both Aja and Royal Scam in 5.1.

Wardsweb,
I have everything listed on your first list, but only Herbie, and Jamie on your second. I prefer Rubber Soul over Revolver, but there both great albums

Back