Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2008

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me this room was also in my top 10, possibly in my top 5.

Avalon was playing the Indra's($20K) with source electronics from Ayre and another of those dps/Ayre turntables, but interestingly, they were powering the speakers with the VTL 450 Signature monoblocks (same ones used in the big Analysis Audio room)..

Total agreement with you on that Tim, but then we both are somewhat 'smitten' on the Avalon's !

While I was in there listening, Luke Manley was standing next to me, I said "man I'd love to hear these speakers with some 'really' good amps", he jokingly replied......."yeah, so would I" !

Can't believe the price - $50 ! :eek:

Tim (MiTT) Is it really worth THAT much ?

Thanks for the link.

Well Bernard, I can't say for you because I don't know your financial situation. As for me the only decision I have to make is CD or Vinyl?

(I'll be you know which one I'm popping for)

Yes, it's that good. At least it was for me.

Can't believe the price - $50 ! :eek:

Tim (MiTT) Is it really worth THAT much ?

Thanks for the link.
FWIW, the only other place I found it is an eBay store which wants $69, making $50 a relatively "good" price.

Marten and Lamm

Alright, if you just soiled yourself with the addition of the pricing on the Audio Note system above, you're gonna want to lay down for this one. Audio Federation out of Boulder brought in the "Over the Top" system for the second year in the row. It sounded good to be sure, better than last year, but while it was in my Top 10 at this years show, it wasn't in my Top 5, and at these prices it should really be in the top 1 or 2.

Hang on to your hats boys and girls - here we go...

Marten Coltrane Supreme loudspeaker system. Four towers, bass amplifier, internally wired with Nordost Odin - $295,000.00

Lamm Industries ML3 Signature two chassis GM-70 SET amplifiers. 125 Class A SET Watts - $139,290.00

Lamm Industries L2 Reference two chassis tubed pre-amp - $15,175.00

EMM Labs Meitner TSD1 SE Transport - $11,000.00

EMM Labs Meitner DAC2 SE DAC - $9,500.00

Brinkman Balance Turntable - $21,700.00

Brinkman 10.5 Tonearm - $6,300.00

Lyra Titan i Cartridge - $8,000.00

Lamm LP2 Delux Phonostage - $7,290.00

Nordost Odin speaker cables - $20,000.00

Nordost Odin interconnects (3) - $48,000.00

Jorma Design PRIME digital cable - $9,900.00

Nordost Valhalla power cables (8) - $24,000.00

Harmonic Resolution amp stands (5) - $9,475.00

Harmonic Resolution equipment racks (2) - $17,300.00

Totally Un-Freakin' Believeable Grand Total - $641,930.00

Attachments

• Marten01.jpg
    Marten01.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 872
  • Marten02.jpg
    Marten02.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 811
  • Marten03.jpg
    Marten03.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 768
  • Marten04.jpg
    Marten04.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 745
Gulp......It looks "purdy enough" !

Tim, again as we said during lunch, dinner, etc I actually enjoyed the lower priced "over achiever" systems for what they could do.

Gulp......It looks "purdy enough" !

Tim, again as we said during lunch, dinner, etc I actually enjoyed the lower priced "over achiever" systems for what they could do.

Well said, Dave. I remember our conversation with the Focal dealer just outside the Focal room. While the Utopias were truly staggering, I think (as Dave said) it's possible to attain '90%' of that experience at a tenth (maybe less) of the price. While many, many things are subjective in this hobby, most agree that the returns diminish substantially over certain price points. I was no doubt blown away by many of these high end systems. But then I think of my system (as modest as it is by comparison) and the time I have taken to position the speakers and audition/research components and the time I have spent listening to your system (and Dan's) and I have come to the conclusion...that I am very happy with my setup. The RMAF put a lot in perspective - you don't need to spend a lot to be content...and Martin Logan makes one HELL OF A SPEAKER. I feel the value in my aerius i (they are 5+ years old) provide an experience that can't measured or quantified with dollars.

Very well said Eric. I don't list these prices just to get a rise out of folks, but I do believe that we all should appreciate the level of performance we get out of our systems for the relatively small price we pay for them - comparatively speaking.

I think the true testament for me every year after attending RMAF is that even after listening to what might arguably be described as some of the most expensive and best sounding systems in the world, I can come home with the music I bought at the show or got turned on to for the first time, and sit down in front of my system and not feel cheated at all. I'm very happy to be informed about what is possible, and I'm glad that I've been able to listen to some of the best most exotic equipment in the world, and I even think that after listening to some of these mega-systems, and understanding the subtlties that set them apart, it makes me a better listener. And that experience then helps me effect improvements in my own system as well.

Last edited:
Well Bernard, I can't say for you because I don't know your financial situation. As for me the only decision I have to make is CD or Vinyl?

(I'll be you know which one I'm popping for)

Yes, it's that good. At least it was for me.
Why not get one of each (the inferior CD backing up the LP) ? :devil:

I'm not sure what I'll do as I am not a big fan of organ music. Also, I do have the Albinoni Adagio played by I Musici - considered by an old Italian friend to be THE definitive version.

Very well said Eric. I don't list these prices just to get a rise out of folks, but I do believe that we all should appreciate the level of performance we get out of our systems for the relatively small price we pay for them - comparatively speaking.

You have to wonder who buys some of the insanely priced gear. The sales must be minuscule - but if they are that poor, surely most of it would not exist. The only justification, if sales genuinely are poor, is the "prestige" the factor such products can give to a brand.

Also, whilst I am sure a lot of us could go out and buy much more expensive gear than we already have, we refuse to do so, because there are other priorities in life. Also, the law of diminishing returns means massive $$$£££ investments are required for relatively small gains. In other words, it gets to the stage where is just isn't worth it. I know I will never spend much more per component than I already have. Well, maybe:devil:!

I think the true testament for me every year after attending RMAF is that even after listening to what might arguably be described as some of the most expensive and best sounding systems in the world, I can come home with the music I bought at the show or got turned on to for the first time, and sit down in front of my system and not feel cheated at all. I'm very happy to be informed about what is possible, and I'm glad that I've been able to listen to some of the best most exotic equipment in the world, and I even think that after listening to some of these mega-systems, and understanding the subtlties that set them apart, it makes me a better listener. And that experience then helps me effect improvements in my own system as well.

You guys are right on. After just listening to five of the albums I bought, I feel like I'm giving up little to the high dollar stuff. One thing about many of the very expensive speakers is that you'd need a huge room for them to deliver the goods. For my size listening room, the Aerius is perfect.

Also, whilst I am sure a lot of us could go out and buy much more expensive gear than we already have, we refuse to do so, because there are other priorities in life.

Other priorities?! Are you insane, man?! :eek:

You have to wonder who buys some of the insanely priced gear. The sales must be minuscule - but if they are that poor, surely most of it would not exist. The only justification, if sales genuinely are poor, is the "prestige" the factor such products can give to a brand.

Also, whilst I am sure a lot of us could go out and buy much more expensive gear than we already have, we refuse to do so, because there are other priorities in life. Also, the law of diminishing returns means massive $$$£££ investments are required for relatively small gains. In other words, it gets to the stage where is just isn't worth it. I know I will never spend much more per component than I already have. Well, maybe:devil:!

The Focal rep told me they sell 30-40 pairs of Utopias a year. Not bad at $180,000/pair.

The amps (big boulder amps) driving the Utopias go for $80,000/pair. The president of Boulder (very nice guy) told me that some his clients actually want another amp to made that is simply more expensive than Boulder's highest end (most expensive) model. Why? Because these particular clients simply want to upstage each other.

The Focal rep told me they sell 30-40 pairs of Utopias a year. Not bad at $180,000/pair.

The amps (big boulder amps) driving the Utopias go for $80,000/pair. The president of Boulder (very nice guy) told me that some his clients actually want another amp to made that is simply more expensive than Boulder's highest end (most expensive) model. Why? Because these particular clients simply want to upstage each other.

Yep, I heard that too while you, Dave and I were standing there - most of them in Manhattan he added.

Thanks for all the kind words about our room with ACI. The little Sapphire XL's are certainly something special and the synergy with the Korato Anniversary amp was truly something special.

I'll apologize for making this my first post. I tried to register some time ago and had an issue and quite honestly have been so busy I just hadn't made it here. I'll try to be more regular and keep up with what the 'Loganites' are up to ;)

Bryan

Lead Acoustical Designer
GIK Acoustics

Yep, I heard that too while you, Dave and I were standing there - most of them in Manhattan he added.

And probably most of them working in the banking sector. I wonder whether the Manhattan demand is set to scale down a bit. Those guys have definately blown it and can expect to be harassed and controlled by the government for the forseeable future - both in the US and the rest of the world.

Thanks for all the kind words about our room with ACI. The little Sapphire XL's are certainly something special and the synergy with the Korato Anniversary amp was truly something special.

I'll apologize for making this my first post. I tried to register some time ago and had an issue and quite honestly have been so busy I just hadn't made it here. I'll try to be more regular and keep up with what the 'Loganites' are up to ;)

Bryan

Lead Acoustical Designer
GIK Acoustics

Hey Bryan, glad you checked in. Hopefully, I'll get a pair of those speakers in the near future. No doubt, I have never heard such a sound from such a small pair of speakers! Oh, and many thanks for the beer and the conversation. :D

Peachtree Audio

As a break from the uber high end stuff in some of the equipment posts preceeding this one let me tempt you with what I think is another of the true bargains of the show. The Peachtree Audio decco is an audiophile grade 50wpc hybrid tube integrated amplifier. It sports an integrated DAC, tube based pre-amp and solid state amplifier - but wait there'smore. It offers two single ended inputs (RCA), two digital inputs (optical and Coax), a USB port (to link it to your computer), and a headphone amp and jack that mutes the other outputs when headphones are plugged in. It also has an output jack for a line level subwoofer connection.

Imagine plugging in a Wadia iTransport or Apple TV, or just plug in your computer and hooking up a set of those ACI Saphires for a great second or office system on the cheap. I'm thinking about getting one myself. Cost - $799.00

Attachments

• Decco01.jpg
    Decco01.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 329
mbl

On the other hand...

I didn't grab any price list, or write down any model numbers. These pictures will have to speak for themselves. I know these are the mbl 101E's with a full complement of mbl electronics. I took the pictures and just listened. Boz Scaggs "Hey Miss Riddle" was like sitting in the studio. Nils Lofgren "Live Acoutic" (several cuts) was like being at the concert.

Horribly expensive yes, but in the top five of the show for me.

Attachments

• mbl01.jpg
    mbl01.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 328
  • mbl02.jpg
    mbl02.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 326
  • mbl03.jpg
    mbl03.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 331
  • mbl04.jpg
    mbl04.jpg