Potentially good tube amp match?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
Kevin Deal from Upscale Audio told me today that his new DiaLogue
monoblock amps, with their 2 ohm output taps will have NO PROBLEM
driving my CLX's....

So, he's sending us the first pair for review next week!

At $5k a pair, they aren't chump change, but not out of reach either. I've always been impressed with PL gear and my original PL One is still chugging away after five years without a problem.

Here's the link:

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product.asp?itemid=641

I asked Kevin if the grid/cage would rotate, so I could roast some hot dogs
while listening, and somehow he was not amused. But he's still sending the amps!

So, I'll keep you guys posted. I haven't sent the Sprires back to ML yet, so I can give em a go on both the Spires and CLX.

keep me posted!! very interested in this indeed....

Hi Jeff,

Thanks and we look forward to reading the review.

I have a question about output taps and Spires. I picked up my Spires this weekend and am using a Mc275. They are connected to the 4 ohm tap; is that the correct tap or should I experiment with the 8 ohm tap as well?

How about that review of the Spires? Please let us know when you have it posted.

You may recall that I replaced my Quad 2805's due to reliability issues. While the Spires are still breaking in and I need to do more tweaking of placement, first impressions (after 10 hours of playing) are they have much more real bass, a larger and taller soundstage, more extended highs, and overall more dynamic impact (e.g., Steward Copland's drum kit has real impact).

But on the downside, the midrange is not as resolving as the Quads and they don't highlight voices or layering of backing vocals and instruments in the mix like the Quads seemed to do. I hope that some of that may be fixed by further tweaking of placement and further break in.

Regards,

Dave

But on the downside, the midrange is not as resolving as the Quads and they don't highlight voices or layering of backing vocals and instruments in the mix like the Quads seemed to do. I hope that some of that may be fixed by further tweaking of placement and further break in.

Dave,

While no doubt further break-in and room tweeking will help, I'm wondering , what are tou using for amplification ? For I remember clear as a bell the day when I changed from my Rotel to my Plinius how all the above that you mentioned just....corrected itself. So hopefully Jeff's upcoming tube experience will yield like findings, for I know my tube MonoBlocks perform beautifully in the mids. For that matter any tube amp worth it's salt should !

Jeff,

I would love to have Mark O'brien (Rouge Audio) get you a pair of his new 'Apollo's' to put up against the CLX's.

I am using a McIntosh 275 MkV with Gold Lion KT88, Siemens 12AT7 and Telefunken 12AX7. It is this same amp that I used with the Quads and delivered the midrange detail, layering, and highlighting of voices.

Rest of my system: Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II, Dynavector XX2, McIntosh C2300 preamp with Telefunkens, Cardas Golden Reference wires, Audience Adept Response 6.

Maybe I just need to keep trying to move the speakers a little closer and adjust toe it. Right now they are 95" apart and my listening seat is 110" from each speaker. Toe is in about 1/3.

Dave

I have a question about output taps and Spires. I picked up my Spires this weekend and am using a Mc275. They are connected to the 4 ohm tap; is that the correct tap or should I experiment with the 8 ohm tap as well?

Dave

Dave,
I have a pair of CLS1 and initially had them set to the 4 ohm taps on my MC275 IV, I too was a little disappointed in the midrange, it lacked detail and seemed muddled, experimenting I switched to the 8 ohm taps and bingo a world of difference. Try it, and see what happens.
rich

I am using a McIntosh 275 MkV with Gold Lion KT88, Siemens 12AT7 and Telefunken 12AX7. It is this same amp that I used with the Quads and delivered the midrange detail, layering, and highlighting of voices.

Rest of my system: Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II, Dynavector XX2, McIntosh C2300 preamp with Telefunkens, Cardas Golden Reference wires, Audience Adept Response 6.

Maybe I just need to keep trying to move the speakers a little closer and adjust toe it. Right now they are 95" apart and my listening seat is 110" from each speaker. Toe is in about 1/3.

Dave

Hi Dave,

They never will sound the same as the Quads, because, well, they just don't sound the same!

As with all new things, you probably just need to get used to them - any speaker change is a big change. Keep experimenting, though, and they should "relax" a bit after a while.

Oddly, though, I think the Quads are less detailed, because the panels have to push the sound through a dust and a front speaker grille.

I really wish they hadn't moved production out to China, myself...

Justin

Back