New to ML and need help/suggestions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonfiglio2000

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!! I am a first time ML owner and would appreciate any suggestions for tweaking my current setup. I want to make sure that I am getting the best out of my speakers. My speakers are ML Source, Motif, & Depth. They are being powered by a Pioneer Elite SC-37. My only question as of now is would i be making a noticable difference by getting a 2-channel amp to power my sources or would i just be "Spinning my wheels"? Please all suggestions would really help tremendously, Thanks!!!

Hello Everyone!!! I am a first time ML owner and would appreciate any suggestions for tweaking my current setup. I want to make sure that I am getting the best out of my speakers. My speakers are ML Source, Motif, & Depth. They are being powered by a Pioneer Elite SC-37. My only question as of now is would i be making a noticable difference by getting a 2-channel amp to power my sources or would i just be "Spinning my wheels"? Please all suggestions would really help tremendously, Thanks!!!

That's not easy to answer. That receiver uses ICE amps (140wpc) and I've heard some class D amps that sounded very very good. If you have a particular amp in mind, try to get it home for a listening session and compare the sound to what you have now. It's been my experience that room acoustical treatments can give the best upgrade "bang for the buck". Check out GIk Acoustics or another acoustical treatment company. Good luck and maybe someone else can give you some other advice/opinions.

I am of the firm belief that a QUALITY amp/preamp combination will generally be a huge improvement over a receiver with ML's.

From my experience, a quality power amp is critical in getting good sound from MLs. Read again - critical. The preamp not so important.

To this end, does your current receiver have pre-outs? If so, I'd look at getting a nice power amp and using the receiver to drive it. That will provide the bulk of your upgrade. You can then invest in a better preamp later.

i'm trying to decide on a amp for my sources and i plan to move up in about a year to the Vantages and use my sources for the rear. I found this amp on audiogon and was wondering if this would be a good start. I definatly want enough power for when i swith to the vantages. Amplification specs is a new language to me but its the sound that gets me. Please any other suggestions are helpful.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.p

The Sunfires garner high praise here, I haven't owned one but I believe this will be a huge improvement over your receiver.

As a convinced tube guy I would strongly recommend to try a tube amp, either an integrated or a power amp if you want to use your reciever as a pre. I use a pair of Prima Lunas and I am very happy with that. I don't think you will be disappointed If you test one (or two).

And honestly I don't think you need more power to drive a pair of Vantages than a pair of Sources. In fact I believe the power rating isn't that important, within limits of course (but then I'm from Europe :p).
My amps deliever 70 W each and that is definitely enough.
When it comes to amps I am a firm believer that quality is more important than quantity

Back