New Member & New Owner of ML Prefaces

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of prefaces. I know most of you spent a little more than me, but the prefaces were kinda within my budget. I have them powered by a Denon 2808CI (110 watts @ 8ohm). They are rated for 200 @ 4ohm. They sound awesome. Better than anything I've owned before, but am I missing out by not having the optimal power capability?

Also, I have the base of the speakers about 14 inches from the front wall so they sit flush with my 52" Samsung LCD(had to add that). The manual suggests two feet. Will I really notice the difference? If you look at a pic of the speakers, they taper away from the rear giving more clearance to the rear wall as it gets more towards the top. However, the port is near the bottom. The room is 14x20x9.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Good or Bad. I have read some threads here and some people tend to take this to personal. To those who get upset reading threads, just remember, there just opinions and there only about stereos. I am sure we all have bigger things to worry about other than what Joe Shmoe said about your theatre. Let it go.

Thanks from the green, soon to be, audiophile,
Joe

Last edited:
Joe, Welcome ! Congrats on the Preface purchase, one fine little speaker for sure !

In so far as your placement, I wouldn't be as concerned about distance out from the wall (afterall the're not an ESL) rather the fact that you have them "flush with your TV". This will not help you in the imaging dept, so the more you can bring them out the better ! and for serious two channel listening times get the thickest blanket you can find to put over your TV (I've never had to deal with this issue but I do recall others speaking of such)

Good Luck !

Thanks

I'll just move the tv back on the stand. I was under the impression the speakers were to be flush with the tv.

FYI... I have a 7.1 system which includes the Denon 2808CI, Preface fronts, and Harmon/Kardon center and surrounds, and a cheap 300 watt Sony Sub. The sub seems to be plenty of boom for the buck.

Joe

Joe, I've got a small second system in our living room with a pair of small Totem Arro's. Between them my wife has an antique sideboard, just for 'chits and giggles' I've pulled the speakers out a foot or better and was amazed at the imaging improvement. Granted not having the sideboard there at all would be preffered, but it is 'her' room afterall !!

As far as I know the speakers should not have anything between them. I always pull my speakers out as far as possible to get good imaging, then bit by bit push back to max low level. I have just optimised placement for the Quest Z, and now placed some granite plinths underneath.

Question....I have never had an amp before. How do you suggest I get started? The Prefaces are capable of 200w at 4ohms. Fyi...I do not want to spend my entire tax return on it guys. Thanks.

Welcome aboard, Joe. How much will your tax return be? :devil:

LMAO....Look I just dropped nearly three grand to get what I have and my wife was cool with it. I am sure another 500 to 1000 won't be that bad. I could put out that fire, but any more than that would be a nightmare for me.

I've always wanted to get a wicked system, but it is hard to justify one.
My brother and a close friend are on board, but everyone else thinks I'm, well, nuts. My father had a lot of vinyl and all genres and we would spend hours just listening to everything. My mom thought he was nuts too. She still thinks he's nuts for that matter.
Anyways, if my dad wasn't jammin on his guitar and singing something he was listening to something. That passion has been passed to both my brother and me.

the preface is probably my favorite none esl speaker under $5,000.00
good move dude they really rock good and hard. I really think that they require more power than you are thinking to get the most out of them I know as most logan owners know that they sort of downplay the power impairments of there speakers and this is particularly true with the preface and the fresco i's you need an amp with a high damping factor.

Question....I have never had an amp before. How do you suggest I get started? The Prefaces are capable of 200w at 4ohms. Fyi...I do not want to spend my entire tax return on it guys. Thanks.

I would go on to audiogon and do a search for solid state amps under $1000 and see what comes up. I would personally recommend a Sunfire amp from experience, but many people in that price range go with older Classe, Krell, B & K, etc. Using your Denon as a preamp, an amp would be a significant upgrade.

You could also look at a 5 or 7 channel amp to fit the needs of future upgrades. Do you watch a lot of movies? Listen to multichannel music or concert dvds? or do you mostly listen to 2 channel audio. I wanted the best system that I could put together that would sound awesome for movies (with great switchablity), 5.1 tv content, multichannel music, and also 2 channel audio. That landed me with a 5 channel amp and I have been quite happy.

What do you plan on doing the most with this system?

Last edited:
Thanks for the great ideas. I am going to Barretts tonight to look and swindel price. I have a strong feeling that if I crank up the juice the sound would be amazing.

Were do you find those fancy looking treatments I keep seeing a lot of front walls? The black ones with the horizontal and vertical, for lack of a better word, slots.

mine are auralex . what barrets are you going to???

If I had the chance to change amps, I would go tube.
this statement is where im at. keep in mind that mine are in a strictly 2 channel music listening room.

what has me confused is that so many tube nuts tell me that 60wpc off a tube amp is far better than the 200wpc @ 4ohms from a solidstate amp im currently feeding my Prefaces with. seems counter-intuative to me. i am very interested in the sound of warm tubes with these speakers though, IMO the warm bottom is the only thing missing.

the preface is probably my favorite none esl speaker under $5,000.00
good move dude they really rock good and hard. I really think that they require more power than you are thinking to get the most out of them I know as most logan owners know that they sort of downplay the power impairments of there speakers and this is particularly true with the preface and the fresco i's you need an amp with a high damping factor.
im also glad to hear someone other than an owner that likes the Prefaces, FISH-MAN. not that my opinion is at all based on others, but im starting to wonder if i am alone in my feelings toward them.

In so far as your placement, I wouldn't be as concerned about distance out from the wall (afterall the're not an ESL) rather the fact that you have them "flush with your TV". This will not help you in the imaging dept, so the more you can bring them out the better ! and for serious two channel listening times get the thickest blanket you can find to put over your TV (I've never had to deal with this issue but I do recall others speaking of such)
in all my room tuning research this has slipped my attention. so whats the basis on the theory? and is it really important given the fact they are still box style speakers with no true dipole qualities? this has me through a loop! must learn more about tv effecting image.....

Back