New CLXes!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bernard, do not forget to take with you ear plugs, for protection hearing. Not too bad advise!... live music on these days are way out of SPL. By the way, you are right!, Go and happy listening!

A few years ago while walking through the east village I overheard two 17? Year olds talking. One asked the other "What are you doin tonite?" In a ****ed tone he said I gotta go to a dead concert with my Parents! Shit! I almost busted out laughing.....:D

Hey jeff
I'm in west Hartford. Where are you?
Pm me for details on getting together for a listen.

Hey gang, I'm back! Been spending a lot of time with the CLXes. What a difference a few months make! The brightness that I experienced is gone. They have settled in wonderfully. Bad recordings are still awful, but so be it.

The other night i listened to side 2 of Wish You Were Here on an old beat up vinyl album. Horrible pops and clicks, but the music was so sensational that I tuned it out and just loved it. I then listened to the remastered CD of Abbey Road in its entirety. Wow!

I think I have my placement just about right, I just don't want to mess with them anymore! The sub is not quite right still, sometimes I use it, sometimes not. Depends on the music selections and the mood. Not a big deal.

A very special speaker.

Hola Jeff. I am blending my Depth I with a very little volume, with a frequency cut at the sub around 40Hz, and a sense of feeling the deep bass note, not really hearing it... there is where I like my CLXs. They really lack the deep very low bass, but if I am with the volume of the sub a little over, then I get a not coherence, not right with the bass instrument. When it is too much, then there is no way you can adjust the sound. I rather like less bass than have it over. The size of the instrument is just there, with the right amount of bass energy, when you have the right volume of the sub. Trust your ears!. Yes, I know. There are some recordings that have heavy bass and another that there is no bass at all. Use the heavy ones to adjust the right level for the sub...hope this can help! Happy listening!.

Hola Jeff. I am blending my Depth I with a very little volume, with a frequency cut at the sub around 40Hz, and a sense of feeling the deep bass note, not really hearing it... there is where I like my CLXs. They really lack the deep very low bass, but if I am with the volume of the sub a little over, then I get a not coherence, not right with the bass instrument. When it is too much, then there is no way you can adjust the sound. I rather like less bass than have it over. The size of the instrument is just there, with the right amount of bass energy, when you have the right volume of the sub. Trust your ears!. Yes, I know. There are some recordings that have heavy bass and another that there is no bass at all. Use the heavy ones to adjust the right level for the sub...hope this can help! Happy listening!.

The engineer at M-L I spoke with advised that the crossover of the sub be around 60hz.

The engineer at M-L I spoke with advised that the crossover of the sub be around 60hz.

I do respect the engineer recommendation :bowdown:, but I do trust in my ears too, and above 50Hz, I hear the sub very easy. I like the blend of the super lower notes without listening that, that it is happening. In my room, with my CLXs, with my Depht I, 40hz is my favorite frequency cut. You might like it too. Just trust your ears and choose the frequency cut that you liked most. If 60Hz is good for you, then happy listening! Two subs do better than one. Doing some savings for another Depth I. ;)

I have an older Depth in my bedroom system. I moved it upstairs when I replaced it with the JL f113 which I thought was far superior with my previous speakers. I am wondering if now the Depth would be a better match for the CLXes. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Please us your findings... i think (with all respect) that you will be very happy. The Depth is one of the lowest distortion sub on the market. Bring the level where the deepest notes needs that lower register...happy listening,
R.

I have an older Depth in my bedroom system. I moved it upstairs when I replaced it with the JL f113 which I thought was far superior with my previous speakers. I am wondering if now the Depth would be a better match for the CLXes. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
There's no question that the f113 is the more capable sub. Both will sound good in your system if properly set up. The f113 does have the advantage of some PEQ in that ARO will mitigate the worst single room peak and, if you're playing content with substantial VLF - move soundtracks, etc. - and/or at high volumes, the f113 is the easy choice.

Back