New CLXes!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill is one of many here who enjoy music as much as you do, though few can claim to be choirmasters, as Bill can.
Bernard , earlier in this thread I thought you felt " Rock music " not any good when you stated:

Originally Posted by Bernard
Me too. I abandoned rock decades ago.
It aches my brain when I meet someone who is as old as say I am & doesn't listen to rock anymore - knowing only other music.

but later you say:

Jeff, there is no "rock bashing" going on here. I'm just expressing my dislike of it. If I called it crap (but I didn't!) that would be rock bashing. What do you get as a result of rock bashing? Stones !

Gordon, I grew up in the 60's too, and I liked rock at the time, but after discovering Beethoven in my early 20's, there was no going back. I do realize, of course, that they are not mutually exclusive. I could not imagine myself listening today to the Stones' "Satisfaction". Aren't those guys today older than Moses ?

Not big fan of the Stones... but I do listen to almost every type of popular music from 50's to music today Elvis, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Carpenters, April Wine, Paul Simon, Three Dog Night, Donna Summers,Andy Kim, Bee Gees, Boston, Dixie Chicks, Faith Hill, Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Elton John, Chicago, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Carly Simon, Guess Who, Heart, Kenny Rogers, Kiss, Madonna, Neil Diamond. Fleetwood Mac, Daryl Hall & Oates, Santa Esmeralda, The Poppy Family, Phil Collins,etc ( small sample out of my over 700 cds )

This stuff can still sound good on Martin Logans too

Dan

Bernard , earlier in this thread I thought you felt " Rock music " not any good when you stated:

Originally Posted by Bernard
Me too. I abandoned rock decades ago.
It aches my brain when I meet someone who is as old as say I am & doesn't listen to rock anymore - knowing only other music.
I didn't say it was not any good; I just said I didn't like it anymore (i.e. I don't like it, but am not bashing it). I do still like the stuff that is more ballad-like and to which I used to listen. I do still like Elvis (his slow stuff) the Carpenters, The Poppy Family, and of course Simon and Garfunkel (who were true poets). I like lyrics I can understand, backed by acoustic instruments.

I did not make the statement beginning "It aches my brain". You should use the "Multi-Quote" function instead of copy-and-paste, to avoid mis-quoting.

If anyone is interested, there is a pair of Anniversay CLX for $14,000, and a pair of ART CLX for $17,750 on Audiogon.

Last edited:
Thanks, I understand you much better.... I choose music mostly for good lyrics and good emotions, avoid negative stuff like AC/DC or Rap where all they do is swear....
take care

Dan

Music is art, and to me, it is the food for my soul. Sometimes I am in the mood for classic, other time I am for latin jazz, or easy listen jazz, other time I discover myself listening to the Beatles...and I think this is right! No matter what kind of music you like, the good thing is that we have an incredible sound at our own homes, and this is thanks to ML!. You can listen a changed in the sound of a connector, that little, or the changed of any component at our system chain. Also it is good to have such quality electronics out there, that makes our speaker to sing along nice. The truth here is, we are a bunch of happy guys that we had the luck to be in contact with this kind of sound systems... and when we visit our friends house and listen what he has there, if it is not a ML speakers, we start to say in our heads, how lucky we are with such sound in our rooms! It does not matter the brand or matter the quality of the others, they do not give us the juice that we are used to. It is not only the transparency or the dynamics, or the bass or highs... the clue is the heart of the musician(s)...how easy is to understand and get their feeling, playing there... I really love what I listen, no matter the kind, or the musician. Also, bad recordings are bad, but still being bad, you get good things out of it... yes, I know, crap is crap, but with ML, it is a good crap, right? Being an audiophile, you can detect when a mic is out of phase with the others, making that particular voice or instrument to be bigger, difused, than the others... easy right? Being music lover, you do not care this too much, and enjoy what is in the recording... becasue if you listen the same through other system, will not sing the way it does in ours. Some recording companies are reversed absolute phase, and they say, this is impossible to listen it, and I say, yes, it is impossible if you are listeniing it in other kind speakers, with ML you will notice it right away, and they will, too. Recorded music is a good thing. Music listened through ML is better!!!. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Roberto

Your gift for words so good ))))

saying:

" It is not only the transparency or the dynamics, or the bass or highs... the clue is the heart of the musician(s)...how easy is to understand the get their feeling, playing there... I really love what I listen, no matter the kind, or the musician. Also, bad recordings are bad, but still being bad, you get good things out of it... yes, I know, crap is crap, but with ML, it is a good crap, right?"

This is exactly how I feel )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

music touches the soul!!!!!

When I write my girlfriend I often send her a song with lyrics that say how I feel. She told me I am first to show feelings by song/music and she told me she loves that ))))))))))))

Dan

Hola Bill, how your Vistas are doing? Now, you can tell us more about your findings. How are the size of the instruments? Do you have the plastic man playing piano or drums? How is the 3D? How about the air between the musicians? Sorry my dare to ask!

Hola Dan, I wish that I could speak more fluent English, and have better punctuation mark. And I know that my spelling is horrible...once Bernard had to ask me to write again what I was trying to say.. I really like you Bernard, you are a honest man!!! I just love music, and love such wonderful musicians that give us their soul to us with their felling. We have a happy world because of music. Our feet tap... our body moves along, and we get the smile in our faces with the right music!... and I thank ML for their dedication to give us, the best sound that money can buy! With my wife, a cup of wine and music, resting for the day of hard work, make me wanting the next day without any complaint. Regards my friends!!! and happy listening.

Hola Bill, how your Vistas are doing? Now, you can tell us more about your findings. How are the size of the instruments? Do you have the plastic man playing piano or drums? How is the 3D? How about the air between the musicians? Sorry my dare to ask!

Hola Dan, I wish that I could speak more fluent English, and have better punctuation mark. And I know that my spelling is horrible...once Bernard had to ask me to write again what I was trying to say.. I really like you Bernard, you are a honest man!!! I just love music, and love such wonderful musicians that give us their soul to us with their felling. We have a happy world because of music. Our feet tap... our body moves along, and we get the smile in our faces with the right music!... and I thank ML for their dedication to give us, the best sound that money can buy! With my wife, a cup of wine and music, resting for the day of hard work, make me wanting the next day without any complaint. Regards my friends!!! and happy listening.

Hola Roberto....your english is fine with me and I understand you well and appreciate your thoughts here !!!!!

With love of your wife + wine + music..... you can not ask for more ))))0 I agree completely

I have on loan from work ( stereo shop I work for as custom audio video installer ) ML Ethos )))) and I finally have sound I always wanted to achieve, even better than the ML SL3's I used to own....

Dan

Last edited:
Roberto, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are a true poet, amigo: "Martin Logans give us juice we get used to" (I'm paraphrasing, of course).

BUT, there is good crap? I always thought that crap was bad. I guess you learn something new everyday. :)

And, the feeling is mutual. I really like you too, muchacho, and your love of music.

Now go buy the Marta Gomez "Afri-Spaans" CD and listen to "Y Para Ti". I'm really hooked on that song, and she has such a beautiful voice. I only wish I spoke Spanish!

As a wise man once said, "Happy Listening!".

Thanks Bernard... Marta Gomez (Oddyssey Records) Para Ti?... a brazillian bossa kind of, with an opening with spanish guitar and whistle? She has magic... her voice is so sweet and melts like the best ice cream right into our ears, right? the tune is very sticky, and you spent the rest to the day with the tune in your head, and trying to whistle it too... Marta is a treasure!
Regarding about the crap (LOL) and thinking more about it, what I ment was, that ML allow us to rescue the feeling, the melody, the musician(s) playing even that the recording is that bad...you get the good things out of the bad (crap) recording...so the crap is good, because of this.

Dan, we are in the same boat. I do the same here. I do all the video and audio installations too. I sell, install, service, consultant, audio and video projects. Just found out that there is a HDMI with a single cat 5 (LAN Cable) for long runs converter, with an outstanding features!... Transformative Engineering Expands the Envelope of HDBase-T Capabilities With the Debut of an Enhanced HDMI Extender and 4x4 Matrix Switcher... good news for us!...
Regarding your Ethos... to my is the ML bargain, besides the Electromotions. Bargain at $ 6500.00 for a pair? Well, the sound is just well balanced between the bass and the stat panels... you do not feel the blend with the woofers and the panels. The pasive radiator at the bottom, makes to my ears, to have a better extension of the bass and also more transparent and clear. Very deep bass comes out. So, I know that ML have you in heaven!... you are re-discovering all your old records and you are saying to yourself> I never listened to that! Wow!, I really like this!!... well, welcome to the MLfamily. This is what we have in this forum, a ML family. And we have all kind of people, like a true family. We have the older tech, and the truth is: yes!!!!! it is that good!, and we have the new tech... we love too what we are listening too. Different kind of sound, but all are great sound!! ML is unshakable from the market place. To my ears, it is that good!... just trust your ears, and happy listening,
R.

Roberto, that's the song, though I would never have thought of it as bossa nova, especially since she's from Colombia and sings in Spanish. BTW, speaking of the best ice cream, the best is the stuff you make yourself.

Jeff, apologies for seriously hijacking your thread.

Jeff is like me!!... we are visting the angels, here in heaven. Judging by the pic's of Jeff system, I envy (the good envy, not he evel one) his room, and his taste to have it well balanced and nice looking all around the place! Also, his electronics are a jewel. And 100% agree with you Bernard... the stuff that you put together to make ML sing is the clue and liking. If you are happy, that's what it counts! I wish that I could have better skills to put the pics as Jeff did...but I do not know how to do it. Now I have for the rear speakers, a pair of ML Motions 4... I like them better as a sound match than my Sonus Faber Electa. Clappings are more detail, and also some echoes that I never listenen before. My stage is now a little bit bigger than it was before. I had to reduce the level of my center channel by -6.5dB of sensivity with the speaker level adjustment, and now I have more space, more stage and air between instruments. I am listening now a sonata in B major, by Michel Corrette. Ladislav Jelinek: piano and Lubomir Maly: viola. The stage is way back and the viola has a magnificent sound, full of richness timbre. The piano is just there... I do like this kind of recordings, and perhaps many of you may not like it because the mic is too far from the viola.
Jeff, tell us how your system is doing? Have you notice any new things for good at your sound? How is the stage? Happy listening,
Rl

Vista

Roberto
They have been on all day/every day since I got back with just FM.
I am flabbergasted all of my music is new and unheard. Hearing details that were smeared on my prior speakers.
The integration between bass & stats is more refined, playing around with jumpers now, first I sanded off the finish on the stock jumpers didn't like that. They were replaced with the cable I am running to the speakers for the time being. I still feel I would like to raise them a few inches but center fill & stage width is amazing seems like you can't run out. ;)

Last edited:
What type of metal are you using at the jumpers connectors? Spade? Try to get them made out of silver alloy. I think that parts connexion has them. They did a changed for good when I had previous models with bi-wired capability.

While driving by a concert venue today, 10 minutes from where I live, I saw a sign advertising The Moody Blues (a group I liked in the 60's) on September 22nd. I wonder, dare I go back in time and will I still like them?

Justin would say a resounding "YES!".

Todd would say "Only if you have to take your son". :p

Bill would say "Surprise yourself and go".

Roberto would say "Go, and happy listening.

I have to listen again to "A Question of Balance" (the only album of theirs I have) before deciding.

Last edited:
Back