New CLXes!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with a couple other give about 200 hours for proper break in. But also the brightness could be coming from reflections around the room. You have a nice setup so maybe look into Tube Traps. They have a variety of products for all different configurations, and decors. Probably the most flexible type of room treatments.

But my main thing for replying is on the sub. I would hate to tell you to spend more money but the ML Depth i and Descent i were built and have special setting for the CLX. They even make a chip that you can put in your Depth/Descent that make is blend almost too well. You have a fantastic sub now but I have a feeling that based off of what you told us I would strongly urge you to consider an ML sub.

Jordan,

I have an older Depth sub that I did not think was strong enough for the size room that I have. I absolutely loved the f113 with my old speakers, but I am not feeling it with the CLXes, I think I need to tweak them some more and re-run the room correction. Funny thing is I quite like the CLXes without the sub, I am surprised by the bass -much better than I expected. However, I will keep tweaking.

Jeff, great-looking system and room.

Any plans to complete your Macintosh setup with a Macintosh turntable ?

No, the Mac table never did it for me, I think that it is odd looking. Vinyl is wonderful, but I really don't listen to it that much, I'm just too lazy! I like the Clearaudio Concept, but it will probably be a while before I invest in a new table. Your VPI is a really nice rig.

I'll have to double check that, why "gulp"?

Thanks! The room was an addition that we did about 5 years ago (in the good old days!) The contractor did the room to my specs and then I did all of the cabinets and molding. One of the cabinet racks (out of the picture) is actually a hidden door and there is about a 2 ft deep access space behind all of the equipment. It is very easy to go back there to tweak. My only issue with the cabinet is that I built it to fit that old Pioneer rear-screen TV. There is a fabulous new Sharp 70" LCD that I love, but it's 2" too wide and I would have to rebuild the entire center cabinet to fit it in. Oh well!

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Last night I switched from the 4ohm to the 8ohm taps on the MC501's. I think this was a solid improvement. The sound stage opened up wider and the got a bit smoother on top. I also have them toed in more the recommended outer 1/3 on the flashlight -closer to reflecting the center of tweeter panel. I think that I am getting really close!

Some recordings are just breathtaking on these speakers. I listened to Some Kind of Wonderful by Joss Stone and I felt like I was melting! But they really are brutally unforgiving -EVERYTHING is there! I am starting to get used to that and prefer the advantages that brings to most recordings. I am definitely having fun with these!

My only issue with the cabinet is that I built it to fit that old Pioneer rear-screen TV. There is a fabulous new Sharp 70" LCD that I love, but it's 2" too wide and I would have to rebuild the entire center cabinet to fit it in. Oh well!
If you rebuilt the cabinets you could probably incorporate some unobtrusive room treatments into them.

Give your system a listen without the coffee table between you and the speakers.

Last edited:
I'll have to double check that, why "gulp"?

Jeff,

"C" weighted measures "average" SPL, which is substantially louder than an occasional 90 - 95db peak.

I think Justin is referring to potential hearing damage if you listen at that level for sustained periods.

GG

Truly stunning. Must bring a smile to your face every time you come home. And needless to say, it must sound wonderful.
Cheers,
JJ

Jeff,

"C" weighted measures "average" SPL, which is substantially louder than an occasional 90 - 95db peak.

I think Justin is referring to potential hearing damage if you listen at that level for sustained periods.

GG

What.....?

Boy, they are getting better every day. Definitely smoothing out on the top end. The sound stage and imaging are sensational.

I turned the f113 sub down a bit more and lowered the crossover point to 45 hz -a much better fit. Boom is gone and the bass is really tight now. I can't do much about the coffee table, it is really heavy and would be a direct WAF violation (which I obviously have pushed to the limit now!)

A word about ML service. My kit was missing the spiked feet. I called up ML and got right through. I told him that I just got the CLXes but the box was missing the spikes. He apologized, asked for my address and sent them right out, no fuss, no hassle. Outstanding service!

Not sure if I want to use the spikes. What do you guys think? I am reluctant to put them into my wood floors. I was thinking of putting them in and placing them on some aluminum discs, however would this defeat the purpose? Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:
Boy, they are getting better every day. Definitely smoothing out on the top end. The sound stage and imaging are sensational.

I turned the f113 sub down a bit more and lowered the crossover point to 45 hz -a much better fit. Boom is gone and the bass is really tight now. I can't do much about the coffee table, it is really heavy and would be a direct WAF violation (which I obviously have pushed to the limit now!)

A word about ML service. My kit was missing the spiked feet. I called up ML and got right through. I told him that I just got the CLXes but the box was missing the spikes. He apologized, asked for my address and sent them right out, no fuss, no hassle. Outstanding service!

Not sure if I want to use the spikes. What do you guys think? I am reluctant to put them into my wood floors. I was thinking of putting them in and placing them on some aluminum discs, however would this defeat the purpose? Thanks for your feedback!

A very nice looking system for sure. I got my CLX's about 2 years ago and went through the rubber feet vs spikes. There are some small coasters which have a metal insert that fit the spikes perfectly This allows for moving the speakers on any surface (I have wall-to-wall carpeting) as well as adjusting the tilt (mine are about 15 degrees back). I have also found that putting absorptive material (Echobusters, in this case) really helps the image and cuts down on spurious rear reflections that can confuse location. You can see how my room is treated in System 308. I think you will be OK with the Fathoms. You might eventually want to consider two. It is not overkill and can deal with bass nodes as they occur in any room.

I have also found that putting absorptive material (Echobusters, in this case) really helps the image and cuts down on spurious rear reflections that can confuse location. You can see how my room is treated in System 308. I think you will be OK with the Fathoms. You might eventually want to consider two. It is not overkill and can deal with bass nodes as they occur in any room.

Amen to both recommendations. absorptive material for the rear reflection really does have benefits and two subs is not overkill, you can really smooth out the room.

Gary

What.....?

Consult Wikipedia. I found the curves (A,B,C, D) in the "A weighted" definition. Picture is worth a thousand words and I believe the C curve is reasonably consistent with my description.

You should understand once you see the differences in the curve plots.

A very nice looking system for sure. I got my CLX's about 2 years ago and went through the rubber feet vs spikes. There are some small coasters which have a metal insert that fit the spikes perfectly This allows for moving the speakers on any surface (I have wall-to-wall carpeting) as well as adjusting the tilt (mine are about 15 degrees back). I have also found that putting absorptive material (Echobusters, in this case) really helps the image and cuts down on spurious rear reflections that can confuse location. You can see how my room is treated in System 308. I think you will be OK with the Fathoms. You might eventually want to consider two. It is not overkill and can deal with bass nodes as they occur in any room.

A second f113 is next on the list. The room treatments is MUCH harder with the WAF detante!

A second f113 is next on the list. The room treatments is MUCH harder with the WAF detante!
You could always sneak in two 13" full round Tube Traps behind each speaker. They would be immediately behind and covered by the speakers. It may also allow you to move the speakers a bit back, gaining you major points in the WAF department.

Jeff, I use disc bases made by the Japanese firm Harmonix. They are not cheap, but wow, do they open up the soundstage. The way they work is a mystery to me, but the effect is very good. Mine are the RF-909x Mk2, but the much cheaper RF-900 also do a great job.

Jeff,

Based on 25+ years of experience with ML's, I would highly encourage you to use the spikes.

The panel may not be affected by the vibrations but the "box" certainly will.

Try using hockey pucks between the spikes and your wood floors.

Good isolation and you can still adjust the speaker.

GG

Back