New arrival: the Cary SLP-05 preamp/headamp!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other news, you better get your butt moving with your gear picture posting and impressions! You owe us quite a bit of audio entertainment!

You are so right. I am about a year behind in getting my system posted, but it is almost there. By the end of the year, I promise! :eek:

PS
When I get my Eames Chair... I'll ask your opinion for which wood to get. Walnut or Cherry? Decisions decisions... No worries though, we're about 4-5 months away!

What? No Bubinga? :eek:

PS
When I get my Eames Chair... I'll ask your opinion for which wood to get. Walnut or Cherry? Decisions decisions... No worries though, we're about 4-5 months away!

Hey Joey,

Before you settle on the wood veneer for the Eames, check out the Togo by Ligne Roset. I love the Eames, but for the design-conscious, it's a bit over exposed. The Togo is in a different league altogether.

I sat in the Togo for 15 minutes at the Chicago Ligne Roset store pretending I was listening to music, and I am convinced it's an awesome audiophile chair. Now just have to convince the wife.

http://www.ligne-roset-usa.com/?sec=products&pid=11&cid=16&rid=157&page=1

Joey.... lookin' gooooood! :rocker:

One observation... I see you are using a Monster HTS3500 MKII, which I also previously used in my two channel setup. I recently replaced the Monster with the Belkin PF60, and found significant improvement in clarity all the way around. I've since relegated the Monster to the video end. I'm not sure what components you're running off the Monster, but for a quick experiment, try running them direct from the wall. If you notice a significant improvement, you might want to put a better power conditioner on your "upgrade list".

Joey.... lookin' gooooood! :rocker:

One observation... I see you are using a Monster HTS3500 MKII, which I also previously used in my two channel setup. I recently replaced the Monster with the Belkin PF60, and found significant improvement in clarity all the way around. I've since relegated the Monster to the video end. I'm not sure what components you're running off the Monster, but for a quick experiment, try running them direct from the wall. If you notice a significant improvement, you might want to put a better power conditioner on your "upgrade list".
Thanks, Alan! I will have to experiment with how the system reacts to a direct plug to the wall outlet. The one thing I don't like about my apt in Chicago is dirty power... bulbs keep busting and I'd hate to see my components just pop like that.

Hey Joey,

Before you settle on the wood veneer for the Eames, check out the Togo by Ligne Roset. I love the Eames, but for the design-conscious, it's a bit over exposed. The Togo is in a different league altogether.

I sat in the Togo for 15 minutes at the Chicago Ligne Roset store pretending I was listening to music, and I am convinced it's an awesome audiophile chair. Now just have to convince the wife.

http://www.ligne-roset-usa.com/?sec=products&pid=11&cid=16&rid=157&page=1
Dave... the one thing I don't like about the Togo 35H is that it resembles my former Perfect Chair. I really want a chair that is no longer of similar design. In addition, did you recall if the Togo 35H's headrest was tall enough to reach behind a person's head? If so, that's a definite nono now that I know how it alters the sound I'm getting from the system.

What? No Bubinga? :eek:
Rich my friend... yes, the Bubinga would be superb!!!! However, I think I may have to settle for natural cherry.... :).

Impressions of the SLP-05

Joey,

Now that you've had a little more time with the SLP-05, any update on your impressions?:music:

I'm looking at the CARY SLP-03, SLP-05 or the ARC REF3. Quite a bit of difference in price! I can get a MUCH better deal on the Cary gear and am leaning toward their line.

I'd like to know your thoughts. You didn't seemed blown away by the SLP-05 at first. Are you noticing any improvement in sound as you put time on those tubes?

I am looking MOSTLY for solid imaging (especially on vocals), three dimentionality and transparency. How do you rate the SLP-05 on those categories

Thanks!

Joe M.

Impressions:

I'm glad the 05 improved on the overall coherence of my system... it's beginning to sound real good now. I can turn it up and the image remains relatively normal-sized.. while allowing a more realistic reproduction of the ambiance of the recording studio/hall! It's impressive how wide my soundstage is.... you guys have to come over and hear it for yourself.

I know I've heard better, but this is getting to be really scary good. I'll write a full report once I have time. For now, it's time to enjoy the music.

Improvement for the future...

Joey,

Now that you've had a little more time with the SLP-05, any update on your impressions?:music:

I'm looking at the CARY SLP-03, SLP-05 or the ARC REF3. Quite a bit of difference in price! I can get a MUCH better deal on the Cary gear and am leaning toward their line.

I'd like to know your thoughts. You didn't seemed blown away by the SLP-05 at first. Are you noticing any improvement in sound as you put time on those tubes?

I am looking MOSTLY for solid imaging (especially on vocals), three dimentionality and transparency. How do you rate the SLP-05 on those categories

Thanks!

Joe M.

Watch for my review.... :).

Latest posts

Back