New arrival: the Cary SLP-05 preamp/headamp!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Joey.
One can only imagine how your system will evolve after you get out of school and get a job and have some steady cash flow.:D
I can't wait, Wayne!

I once actually bought the X-Cans head amp, then sold it a few weeks later....somewhat like what some guys do with turntables :D

In Kelso's voice... that was a burn!! Good one, Bernard! :D

Dave, Dennis, and Steve... thanks for the comments!

Dave... when you coming over here to listen??

Dave... when you coming over here to listen??

Joey, I HOPE to get out your way sometime in Jan, at which point I hope we can get the "Chgo Clan" together like we planned last Oct when 'Useless Air' cancelled my flight and I didn't make it out. I'll take the train this time !!

Very impressive upgrade Joey! I envy you in enjoying burning in your new equipment and hearing it blossom! Congats man! :rocker:

Adam, George -

Thanks my friends! Right now, I just got back to my apt and I just begun listening to music through some decent headphones. So far so good.. I'm going to call Cary tomorrow and ask them a few questions about the design and specs of the 05 a bit more.

Joey :)

Adam, George -

Thanks my friends! Right now, I just got back to my apt and I just begun listening to music through some decent headphones. So far so good.. I'm going to call Cary tomorrow and ask them a few questions about the design and specs of the 05 a bit more.

Joey :)

Speaking of headphones Joey, why HD-650s? There is only one choice for ML owners as far as I see it and that is STAX ELECTROSTATICS!

Like having a pair of MLs or Soundlabs on your ears!

Speaking of headphones Joey, why HD-650s? There is only one choice for ML owners as far as I see it and that is STAX ELECTROSTATICS!

Like having a pair of MLs or Soundlabs on your ears!

Adam,

That would render my CARY 05 useless as the Stax or other electrostats require a special type of headphone amplification. Yousocrazee... :music: .

Joey: From your signature I see you have been scouting for a new chair. What happened to the fancy one you had before ? Was it sold as part of the TT package ? :D

Congratulations on finishing your Step 2 exams Joey! Oh, and that's a nice preamp too!

Tony...

THANKS!! As you know, the Step 2s were long... CS and CK! In the same week! Yowza! Boy, I'm glad that's all over! Did you notice how I no longer posted on the forum for months??

Joey: From your signature I see you have been scouting for a new chair. What happened to the fancy one you had before ? Was it sold as part of the TT package ? :D

Bernard my friend...

The Perfect Chair is in the process of being sold... I got an offer on it and I think I'm going to take it. My parents promised me and Eames Chair once I graduate so I might have to bum it out without a chair until then. I measured the Eames Chair and it's the perfect chair for my setting. The Perfect Chair is a really nice chair though, but I prefer the Eames still.

So this affliction (joeyitis) applies not just to audio, but extends even to furniture?

So this affliction (joeyitis) applies not just to audio, but extends even to furniture?

You don't know the half of it... I am one spoiled brat.

JK!

I guess I like nice things.... I try not to let it get in the way of things though. Materialism is a lost cause and it leads nowhere. If I don't have to twist someone's arm or as long as I don't put myself/others in perilous situations - hey, nice things are nice.

But in the end, that's all it is. Stuff.

No biggie if I don't get the Eames. But if the situation presents itself, who am I to say no? LOL...

Oh, and you're one pot to call the kettle black Rich. Don't think for a moment we missed your latest acquisition(s). So how do you like the Ref 3?

Adam,

That would render my CARY 05 useless as the Stax or other electrostats require a special type of headphone amplification. Yousocrazee... :music: .

Yes, it would render the Cary useless as a headphone amp, but it is a fantastic preamp, right?

The Stax energisers / amps are just as good though - especially the valve ones!

Attachments

• omega2.jpg
    omega2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 351
The Stax energisers / amps are just as good though - especially the valve ones!

Not to go off-topic, but there are some pretty interesting alternatives for those looking for valve amps for Stax earspeakers. Here is a photo of one I owned until recently:

IMG_4513.jpg

Joey- that is one beautiful new pre-amp!

Last edited:
Oh, and you're one pot to call the kettle black Rich. Don't think for a moment we missed your latest acquisition(s). So how do you like the Ref 3?

:D :D :D

Yeah, and I have a pretty nice listening chair too. LOL

Don't take it so hard, Joey. We just love to kid you. I am going to be as excited for you as you are when you get that Eames chair.

And Tony, the Ref 3 (combined with Sanders Sound ESL monoblocs) is absolutely awesome. Everything I hoped it would be (and more). I will post in-depth on this when I get some more time.

Don't take it so hard, Joey. We just love to kid you. I am going to be as excited for you as you are when you get that Eames chair.

Easy peasy... I don't take nothing hard, my friend! All's well in the MLO forum! We're all compadres here. A little ribbing ain't hurt nobody. :D

In other news, you better get your butt moving with your gear picture posting and impressions! You owe us quite a bit of audio entertainment!

Joey

PS
When I get my Eames Chair... I'll ask your opinion for which wood to get. Walnut or Cherry? Decisions decisions... No worries though, we're about 4-5 months away!

Not to go off-topic, but there are some pretty interesting alternatives for those looking for valve amps for Stax earspeakers. Here is a photo of one I owned until recently:

Joey- that is one beautiful new pre-amp!

Rob...

That's the Singlepower ES-1 amp right? Craziness.... such a beautiful piece of art! You still have that amp or you sell it to get your Vantages?

Oh... I just remembered that you have/had the Cary 98P. How goes that preamp for ya?

Oh, and thanks for the compliment! Yes.... shucks.... the 05 is sexy and she knows it alright. Flaunts it all the time! She bats her tubes at me...

Joey

Joey - yes, that is a SinglePower ES-1. I sold it and some Stax Omega II's so as to help fund my purchase of the Vantages.

I still own the Cary 98P, but I just recently took possession of a Plinius M8 pre-amp that I suspect will replace it long term. While I love the Cary, tubes and 5 year old little boys just don't mix particularly well!

Latest posts

Back