Preamp done, Amp done... Source/DAC next. Esoteric??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For piano I haven't found anything that comes even 20% close to the Analysis Audio. Boxes do especially badly because the cabinets constipate the piano sound. Same with hybrids. Maybe the CLX will be good but haven't tried that

About a year ago a friend came over to take me to lunch. I told him he needed to listen to something first. I put on a Liszt piece and said nothing for the 10 minute run. My CLX's are in a room that is 17'Wx43'Dx12'H and I keep them 5' off the wall. When we got to the restaurant there was a piano store next door. I suggested we drop in and as we did there was a gentleman playing. My friend looked at me and said "Wow that sounds just like your stereo". Yes, when properly set up with a large room, subs, acoustical treatment they are that good. Of course there are flaws in this testimonial as my friend is not an audiophile and there was a 15 minute gap between the two listening sessions etc. But I have never heard a better piano reproduction than the properly set up CLX's. I am not familiar with the Analysis Audio but they do look intriguing especially the Orion.

Gary

Ah yes thanks for the direct input, very helpful.

I am definitely going to do my best to land a K01. Best reproduction starts with the best possible source.

You can probably surmise from my signature and previous posts that I'm a bit of a Cary fanboy, so my comments should be viewed in that context. A very good friend of mine, whose system I'm most familiar with other than my own, sold his 306 SACD Pro to get the K03. He runs ARC Ref pres and Pass amps into CLXs. The KO3 is a substantial step up from the 306, but it is diminishing return territory. The K03 is more refined across the board, but the 306 more than holds its own. I still have my 306, of course, and the primary reason I haven't sought out another DAC is because the addition of the Berkeley USB converter dramatically improves the 306. It is easily the equivalent of a DAC upgrade. Aside from upgrading from Vantages to Spires, the Berkeley USB is without doubt the best upgrade I've made in the past five years. We haven't done a side-by-side comparison of the 306/Berkeley combo vs. the K03 yet, but I can confidently say the Berkeley has closed the gap between the 306 and the K03 to the extent that if I was starting from stratch and considering the two options, the decision might be tough, given that the combo can be had for $6000 used (factoring in a used AES/EBU cable of commiserate quality) while the lowest used price I've seen for the K03 is $7500. If you are so inclined, I encourage you to check out the Berkeley USB converter with the 306 or some other non-USB DAC. I think you would find the experience worthwhile. Now the K01 is probably another matter altogether...

The strads sounded great to my ears. Mike Fremer was on point when he said you could just forget about reviewing the speaker and just listen to it and appreciate the music . It is a very realistic sounding speaker and with the Chord components, I thought I heard what could very well be the absolute best reproduction I have ever heard in my life.

To sum it up, it had the wall of sound and the vocal staging of the Summit X - COMPLETE with vocal projection (the spit in your face type energy from the singer), the vocal clarity of a stat or a ribbon, the bass of a dynamic speaker, and the midrange clarity of the BW
Diamonds without the sheen that I've begun to notice from the BW's Kevlar. The stage was freakishly deep (meaning it was resolute enough to resolve the minutias of the recording), the staging across the front width was superb, the imaging was lifelike and holographic, and the emotion was all there. I couldn't really describe anymore than that. It sounded legitimately like a world class speaker. It wasn't slow and obviously colored as I expected it to sound. It sounded similar in tone to a Summit but with the bass of a Wilson and the midrange clarity of a BW Diamond.

Better than my Summit system in its prime, better than the Montis and Summit X I've heard, better than all the Wilsons I've heard, better than the magnepans from 3.7 to 20.1, better than all the Bowers up to 802.

Now, I have to hear just a few more brands and get my bearings straight. But I could very well be headed in the Strads direction. I think I may have a soft spot for the 800 diamonds still, but it's been 6 months since I've heard it so I am going to hold judgement.

It's nice to know that somewhere out there is a speaker for me.

Last edited:
The Strads description sounds good, will have to hear them.

Gary, you don't need to look at the Orion, unless you have a massive courtyard. The Analysis Amphyitron can be the final speakers for some, I have heard the Omegas which are excellent as well and can be the final speakers in most rooms. I haven't heard the CLX, but having heard all the current hybrids, I doubt a stat panel will be able to do the piano anywhere in the same manner, especially with subs. Same with dynamics, stat panels are less dynamic on orchestral as compared to these magnet/ribbon planars

I am just coming back from the most awesome LSO performance at the Barbican of Scheherazade, and thinking how I am going to ever recreate that sound

Headed back with my brother to see if my initial reaction was accurate.

Btw, owner of dealer said the Esoteric K01 is one of the greats.

The Omegas are worth a listen as they actually have some magnets in them, unlike Maggies. $18K is too much, though. A pair was on ebay here a while ago for £4K and they didn't sell for months.

There is only one amphitryon I have seen which was listed in 2012 for 11k. 18 is too much bit the guy will come down. The crossover mods are worth a lot, 4k ones are usually BS

Tasos Hartzis offered me his Amphytrons for £6K as he had moved to Orions. He IS Analysis.

He would NOT do that now as there is a UK dealer now.

There is only one amphitryon I have seen which was listed in 2012 for 11k. 18 is too much bit the guy will come down. The crossover mods are worth a lot, 4k ones are usually BS

Actually they didn't look great - marks on covers but they did look usable.

If I got a pair they'd go straight to the paint shop. You could make them look so much better than the standard finish.

Want that in the 90s? The mods are worth 8k in the US. The UK mods are worth 3k GBP. I have heard an omega bought of eBay by a guy, refurbished by the manufacturer I wouldn't buy them. They have no bass without the crossover mods

No not that long ago. If you search this site you may get a good idea or even the answer. It was an astonishing deal but I convinced myself they were too big and fixing them would NOT be easy. Just pop them in the post to Greece? No thanks...:D

Too rich for me.

Hi Joey. I went out today and low and behold there were the Strads. So I asked for a listen. Lots of warmth it seems in these mids. Very nice. I listened to jazz, female vocal, orchestral , and string quartet. Jazz sounded very nice and the string quartet was quite frankly some of the best I have heard. Speaker showed nice dynamics. On full orchestral works the warm mids though very very addictive seemed to get in the way a bit -at least in my and my sons opinion. Could have been setup - dont know. That's not to say they still didn't sound fantastic. But we just noticed it ...ie the brass didn't have the jump we thought it might have.
But when that string quartet was on...yowzaah!! wow just incredible. Felt these were way warmer than your ex summits.

Compared to Wilson Alexandria which I also listened immediately afterward I found the Strads to be more involving. The Strads felt like a cigar and a nice glass of a bold Cabernet. Whereas the Alexandria seemed like a glass of water - clear clean but to me not involving and no fun.

Some of the best non panels I have heard those Strads. Involving emotional and fun. A speaker I will think about for awhile.

They had the 802 diamonds as well but I just didn't have the heart to ask. :)

Hi Joey. I went out today and low and behold there were the Strads. So I asked for a listen. Lots of warmth it seems in these mids. Very nice. I listened to jazz, female vocal, orchestral , and string quartet. Jazz sounded very nice and the string quartet was quite frankly some of the best I have heard. Speaker showed nice dynamics. On full orchestral works the warm mids though very very addictive seemed to get in the way a bit -at least in my and my sons opinion. Could have been setup - dont know. That's not to say they still didn't sound fantastic. But we just noticed it ...ie the brass didn't have the jump we thought it might have.
But when that string quartet was on...yowzaah!! wow just incredible. Felt these were way warmer than your ex summits.

Compared to Wilson Alexandria which I also listened immediately afterward I found the Strads to be more involving. The Strads felt like a cigar and a nice glass of a bold Cabernet. Whereas the Alexandria seemed like a glass of water - clear clean but to me not involving and no fun.

Some of the best non panels I have heard those Strads. Involving emotional and fun. A speaker I will think about for awhile.

First of all Timm thank you for your wonderful thread from RMAF. I know how much work that was because I attend CES every year and at the end of each day I am exhausted. And I am not writing a report. Good Job.

Did I read this correctly, you like the Sonus Faber Stratavari ($40,000) and reasonably reviewed better the than the Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF ($200,000)? Or were you listening to the second in line the Wilson Audio Alexandria X-2 ($160,000)? I know we evaluate by SQ and not by price but these are both mainstream speaker companies and it would be extraordinary for a mainstream manufacturer to have a speaker that was 5 times cheaper than another well regarded manufacturer and for the cheaper one to have better SQ. I believe if you asked reviewers to state their five favorite speakers regardless of price some would say the Alexandria. If we were talking about appearance the Stratavari is beautiful but when I listen to the Alexandria's (with my eyes closed) they disappear and they sing. I would not fault anyone for buying the Strat IMHO there is $30,000 in musical value and $10,000 in aesthetics. I am very familiar with both brands and IMO the Alexandria's are light years ahead of the Stradivari. YMMV :)

Gary

Last edited:
I am very familiar with both brands and IMO the Alexandria's are light years ahead of the Stradivari. YMMV :)

Gary

My mileage does vary. I understand this. Like the B&W Diamonds, I find Wilsons in the same class and just simply eat music. Nothing remotely enjoyable comes out of them.

Tim!

Could be set up, brass not having bite? I can see that.... but man, I have not heard a more real sounding speaker than the Strads in a long time. I definitely enjoyed my time with them last week. I really tried to head back up to listen for a 2nd time to ensure I was hearing what I thought I was hearing, but alas, I was not able to make a 2nd visit to the audio dealer.

I heard the Aida right next room over from the Strads - I enjoyed the Strads more. Not to say that the Aidas were bad or anything, but after I heard the Strads, I knew I found something special.

Regarding the Alexandria - never heard one and frankly, after really trying to get into Wilsons the past year, I don't have as much of an itch as I did before.

My mileage does vary. I understand this. Like the B&W Diamonds, I find Wilsons in the same class and just simply eat music. Nothing remotely enjoyable comes out of them.

Still going to give BW Diamonds the benefit of the doubt.

I am headed to my local dealer to listen to BW 800 Diamonds back to back against the Rockport Aviors. Let us see who is the champion. Too bad I don't have Strads next to those 2.

All I know, Wilsons are for sure out, after I heard them back to back against the Diamonds.

Back