Need help in choosing a Receiver

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ram

Reaction score
Our friends have gifted us a MLT-2 5.1 home theater speaker system for our new house. The speakers will be delivered tomorrow and we have no idea on what receiver to buy and hence asking your help. We lack exposure to custom built HTs and have always stuck to cheaper HTIB systems. We just sold our old Samsung DVD 5.1 HTIB and a basic Sony blue ray player last week.

As of today, we have a Samsung 46' LCD, PS3 160 Slim, Dish, iPod and iPhone with good amount of music on them. We want a receiver that effectively connects all of these along with the MLT-2. This would be our first receiver and we are on budget. Found a lot of receivers, too many brands (Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha etc..) and lot more models which are confusing. We need your input on which receiver to go for, that will be compatible with the new speakers but at the same time connect and perform seamlessly with our existing hardware and also be future ready (3D, ARC or 7.1).

Most of the guys here have ML electrostats which have somewhat unique amplification requirements compared to non-electrostats.

The MLT-2 has a standard tweeter and woofer combo. Assuming it's 8ohm standard, then you could go with pretty much any decent receiver.

I'd suggest you go down to Magnolia and give their listening room a test run. The Pioneer Elite are pretty decent, and have all the bells and whistles (7.1, HDMI switching, etc etc). Yamaha has some good stuff. I have had Harmon Kardon in the past, and have liked those.

As for integration....
iPod, iPhone don't need anything special....though I'd recommend you look into an Airport Express, and use your iPhone as a remote for your iTunes computer. Much nicer integration.

Dish/PS3/LCD-TV...HDMI switching would cover it.

As for future proof...
If it supports, 7.1, then that's done.
And if it can switch HDMI 1.4, then you can switch to 3D BluRay and TV and use the same receiver.

I hope this help.

Denon. Call Crutchfield.

GG

yep, I would vote Denon too depending on budget. Well built, nice sounding, and feature rich (if at times a tad unintuitive to steer).

Crutchfield's good if you don't mind paying full retail (they have arguably the best customer interface/service of any on-line retailer). Or save yourself some clams and go "off broadway"... just make sure you get a functioning product warranty. They're selling "like new" used 3310ci and 3311ci units for good savings on Amazon right now. I buy a lot thru Amazon and have never had an issue with any return... painless.

I own Pioneer Elite as well and that's been a great receiver too.

Good luck Ram :music:

The Denons are nice units, but at the level of speakers you got, the Onkyo's are much better values. Heck, even for my full size floor standing electrostatics I'd use an Onkyo....well, I am and it's exactly 10 years old and no issues. This is in my theater system.

For my tv system, I purchased the entry model Onkyo from amazon (goes for $300 MSRP, but Amazon sold it for just under $200). After I plugged in the last speaker, the darn spring in the speaker terminal popped out! Then i looked at my 5 year old entry level Onkyo 2ch model I have and noticed their terminals were built sooooo much better. then I checked my 23 year old ($250) Onkyo 2CH receiver it is was even much better than the 5 year old model! All of these used those spring terminals.

Anyway, (too much information maybe, but) I returned the Onkyo from amazon and got a model 3 more levels up (MSRP $900 for $550). All I really needed was the next model up (TX-SR508 MSRP $400, for $253) I'd recommend the TX-SR508. No tax (at least not CA residents) and free shipping. Plus, Amazon is also an authorized retailer for Onkyo, so you'll get the full warrenty from Onkyo.

The one that broke on me (TX-SR308) would be fine too if you don't need 7.1 (isn't you're system 5.1 anyways, and besides, there' barely anything on 7.1 and 7.1 has been out for a few years now, hasn't it?) To be honest, I put speaker wire terminals on the wire and it was kinda long so I must have placed too much pressure to get it all the way in (but again, my older, better built, and priced about the same reciever by Onkyo had no issues accepting the full length of the terminals).

Like mention above, any decent recever will do the trick and last you a long time - Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha. The onkyo's have a real steep discounts off the retail price so you'll definely get a better deal on them than the Denon. I doubt you'll hear any difference anyway ( i read lots of reviews and it's pretty much 50/50 for he ones who could hear a little difference).

Just coming from someone with years of experience with many Onkyo units and just a few weeks ago researched and tried out a couple of the (current) model Onkyo's.

Here's their website. You can check out the view of the back of the units to make sure it can connect all your equipment ( even the entry model the 308 has i think at least 3 HDMI inputs)

Onkyo Site

Last edited:
yep, I would vote Denon too depending on budget. Well built, nice sounding, and feature rich (if at times a tad unintuitive to steer).

Agreed. Get something with Audyssey. I am quite unhappy with my Yamaha.

I'd go with the Onkyo.... I have an Onkyo Integra CD
player that's 23 years old and it still sounds great and works
flawlessly. At that time i bought a Denon CD player but it
never drew me into the music and lacked transparency.
I returned it and bought the Onkyo. Both were recommended
at the time by Sensible Sound, but i couldn't live with the dull
sound and lack of dynamics with the Denon. Maybe they've
changed, but over the years, the Denon products i've heard had
the same character, smooth sound but less involving. In a
word, boring. Also, look into Rotel and NAD for a decent receiver.

Peter,

Sounds to me like ram may need some help setting things up. That's why I suggested Crutchfield. They sell both Onkyo and Denon.

They really are great as far as customer support.

Regarding sound quality of the Denon versus the Onkyo, ram would need to demo both but it would likely be in a showroom with speakers that are not set up properly to allow one to be able to make an informed judgement.

I'm on my second Denon (HT application) and it is not boring. And for HT applications, one is likely to use Audessy which, by design, changes the sound and tonal characteristics anyway.

GG

If you want buy one AV receiver that excels in sound quality, go for Arcam and be done with it. They are pricey but ..

Last edited:
I have had Onkyo and Yamaha and found them pretty comparable.

Denon i haver never owned so can't comment.

I would stay away from Sony.

My Harmon Kardon Avr7300 was a beast...really liked it.

Do you have a budget in mind for the receiver?

Last edited:
For real home theater stuff (my main system) I have used Yamaha and Denon. I preferred the sound out of the Denon and currently use the 3808 to process my audio/video. The only thing I would recommend, correction SECOND, would be to get a receiver with audio correction. This is a must for correcting the sound levels and frequency response for your speakers in your room. I believe most major brands have trickled down this technology into their less expensive offerings.

Last edited:
Peter,

Sounds to me like ram may need some help setting things up. That's why I suggested Crutchfield. They sell both Onkyo and Denon.

They really are great as far as customer support.

Regarding sound quality of the Denon versus the Onkyo, ram would need to demo both but it would likely be in a showroom with speakers that are not set up properly to allow one to be able to make an informed judgement.

I'm on my second Denon (HT application) and it is not boring. And for HT applications, one is likely to use Audessy which, by design, changes the sound and tonal characteristics anyway.

GG

If you want buy one AV receiver that excels in sound quality, go for Arcam and be done with it. They are pricey but ..

So true Gordon on many accounts.

I purchased from Crutchfield before too, even if priced higher, but not too much higher. Customer support is top notch and (not sure about Amazon but they had no issues refunding my broken unit and did so quickly) plus it is a Life Time support and they've been around for decades.

Listening in person and at home with your own equipment is the best solution in deciding what to purchase. But in this circumstance I don't think that will be so necessary. For me, i can easily hear differences between speakers (like probably everyone on the planet) and turntables/ tape decks but with a new $900 CD player and a older $250 DVD player from 2000 - I can hardly tell with A/B switching and I really have to try hard doing it. Same with amps (when played with no distortion). And this is with nice speakers (ReQuest at $4800 a set. Only mentioning price so the OP has an idea what I am comparing)

I'm not saying others can't hear a much bigger difference, but most of my friend can't hear any difference at all when they try. I had a passanger in my car only tell me that my car speakers only sound louder, but not different (stock 1 ways to Focal components). The OP didn't go out looking for new speaker, but got them as a gift. He is use to HTIB systems. That doesn't mean he cannot appreciate great sound production or that he cannot detect minor difference in sound quality with these receivers. But (and I can be completely wrong here) I think that he will not be like many others who are gogin to be very critical when listening to their system. I think he just wants a nice reasonably priced, decent sytem that he can correctly set up, allow him to use it in the future when technology changes, and just sit back an enjoy it without having the urge to keep upgrading the speakers or other components every year or so (like some of us her like to do ;) ) I don't think he's got plans to spend thousands. Most of my friends want a system, but none of them want to spend more than a few hundered. And for them, they're happy with any choice of recever, as long as it has the right features and price. But I could be wrong about the OP.

a big thanks to all your posts. It really helped me narrow down on the choice of receivers.

Peter: the last para from your recent post clearly summarizes my expectations.. :)

GC: Took your advice and called Crutchfield.

They were awesome and their customer service is something all should experience (even if you are not planning on buying from them). They suggested Denon or Onkyo (but rulled out Yamaha). The rep compared Onkyo's to Honda and Denon's to Acura :). BTW, a lot of you have posted 'your system' pics and I was :eek: looking at them. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me (though I might have the tiniest of MLs :ROFL: ..but hell it’s still a ML), I might also end up posting my HT pics after it is setup :D
Anyways, back to receivers now. From your posts I was not going to consider HK. So I was down to Onkyo, Denon and Pioneer. Speakers have arrived and their 'suitable Amp range' was 15-100 watts @ 8 ohms. Crutchfield recommended Denon AVR-1911 or the Onkyo TX-SR608. Took the suggestion from shakham and went to Magnolia @ BB. They do not carry the MLT2s, but the rep mentioned that they were good speakers and suggested Pioneer VSX-1020-K would be good for it.

So I have three receivers now, at the following prices: Both Crutchfield and Amazon offer free shipping and zero tax for IL.

Denon AVR-1911 (Crutchfield and Amazon @ $600)
Onkyo TX-SR608 (Amazon @ $380 and Crutchfield @ $400)
Pioneer VSX-1020-K (Amazon @ $360)

Pls. offer your suggestions on these?

Set up questions:
1. The speakers did not come with cables, what do you recommend I buy (gauge)? Do I need anything else other than cables?
2. Read in the forum that speakers are supposed to be an inch away from the wall. Since they are standard speakers (they have a key hole too) can I hang the front speakers on the wall or should I purchase a speaker stand? I will have to buy two for the rear anyways.
3. Where do I place the sub, corner or against a side wall?

Again thanks for all your help...

Hey there. Great thread. I also just purchased the MLT-2. I am curious if anyone can tell me how this would compare with these speakers...

SONY SS-m3 - http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/sony/floorstanding-speakers/ss-m3/PRD_126709_1594crx.aspx

I realize this is more about experience... and most likely no one here has seen these...but I have them laying around...and kinda unsure what to do with them now...if they will match at all with the MLT-2 system...or better yet if anyone has ever heard the mlt-2 and what kinda quality one could expect from it.

As a note - I plan on purchasing the Denon series as the OP is thinking about.

Thanks! let me know how it sounds OP. Very curious about their performance.

I've had good luck with both Denon and Onkyo and still use a Denon in my TV room.

Just checked out your CLS devoted room pics. Amazing man. cannot even comprehend that level of audio. Congratulations. I hope (if you are married) that your significant other is understanding of your dedicating a room to those badboys ;)

Going to go with the Denon receiver myself.

Anyway my last previous post still stands. Can't find any info whatsoever on these ML home theater sets. ML's disowning of them isn't too heartening. But then again - it could be passed up on a number of factors. It seems ML disowned the speakers a few years ago during the MLT-1 run (possibly due to fault, fire-inducing subwoofer [or so I see from a ML PDF recall on their site]). Added to this, that these speakers represent a lower quality than the brand is used to - dis-ownership was in order apparently.

Still really curious to hear some information or opinions on these. Especially compared to the Sony SS-m3s that I own still.

Costco Pioneer Elite

Saw a Pioneer Elite VSX32 at Costco for 650 bucks but you can't buy it online has to be instore. Can't go wrong with that.

Just checked out your CLS devoted room pics. Amazing man. cannot even comprehend that level of audio. Congratulations. I hope (if you are married) that your significant other is understanding of your dedicating a room to those badboys ;)

Thanks for the kind words!:bowdown: Its been fun doing a room like I always wanted.

Not married (divorced) so no WAF to deal with.

I been meaning to post updated room pics but have been waiting on a new amp stand to come in!

If the receivers you listed have all the features you want then it comes down to price. Google like crazy for that.

Another budget strategy I like is grabbing open box stuff at best buy. Just have a smartphone with web access and google reviews. You can also often haggle another 10% off.

Often even if it's priced with stuff missing (aka deep discount) the guys will sometimes find the stuff for you. And if the can't...Remotes? Upgrade your setup to a harmony.

Worse can you can return it.

For online stuff you gotta be sure because returns aren't usually cost effective.

Saw a Pioneer Elite VSX32 at Costco for 650 bucks but you can't buy it online has to be instore. Can't go wrong with that.

For the money it's a pretty good deal. I just received my Pioneer Elite SC-37 last week, and other than some HDCP issues w/ a Blu-ray player I'm very happy with the purchase.

Of course, my unit has the ICE amps...

Of the other units I looked at, the Integra 30.2 was nice, as was the 40.2... I think mostly from the price range they're looking at it's going to be a feature vs quality argument the whole way down.

All of that said, you don't need a ton of power to drive that MLT-2 set. I think the only thing that might worry me is where the specs vaguely state that the speakers are 8 Ohm "Compatible" rather than a nominal 8 ohm rated speaker. Lately I've been seeing tales of people burning up lower-end AVRs on 4 ohm speakers.

If you don't need HDMI 3D...and you're looking for good clean power with pretty much no bells and whistles the NAD T737 can be had for as little as $499. Onecall has the Marantz SR5004 for $499 as well.

But for clean, no frills power and clarity on the cheap I'd take a good look at the NAD T737

I agree with the laddie's who posted onkyo . I had a onkyo 607 pushing my ML sourse se and they are fantastic and have the best features .

The MLt system is easy to drive so go with somthing easy and cheap .The onkyo 508 for $189 is the best for you and will free up some oyour money towards some speaker cables http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...hannel-3-D-Ready-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...hannel-3-D-Ready-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

Back