Need amp advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onsensical

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm new and just bought my first MLs, the incredeible Spires. I currently run them with a BAT VK 300X-se integrated amp, and, while very good, the sound is not perfect heaven, yet.

I love the sound of Cary tube amps, especially the SLI-80, which throws out either 40 or 80 Watts per channel of beautiful, smooth, rich, tube sound. Does anybody know if the Cary SLI-80 is enough to run these at good volumes in a medium sized room? I occasionally like it loud, and the Cary had no problems whatsoever powering some JM/Focal monitors which were rated at effeciency of 89.

Also, anybody running Jeff Roland gear? I'd be interested in hearing about that combo.

Many thanks,

Onsensical, AKA Russ

You will get many replies with lots of recommendations. I'm not going to make a specific recommendation but I will say that with the MLs, I have found that the more power the better. I have test powered my Summits with a VK 300 and I know what you mean...the setup seems to lack "air" and a sense of ease. I think it takes some significant horsepower (read that Watts) to get the panels to perform their best and deliver that sense of air and ease. I have accomplished that with a pair of sweet sounding 400 wpc (600 at 4ohm) SS monoblocks. I rely on my BAT VK31SE to give the mix that tube warmth and smoothness. YMMV

I have accomplished that with a pair of sweet sounding 400 wpc (600 at 4ohm) SS monoblocks. I rely on my BAT VK31SE to give the mix that tube warmth and smoothness. YMMV

Yes, that's essentially the same setup I have: a BAT tube preamp (VK-32SE) paired with a 400 wpc SS amp (McIntosh 402). Works like a charm.

Joldia Tubes you will love them match made in heaven with your speakers

I love the jolida gear ,my system is all tubes and let me say WOW !!!!! they are MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK !!! I love my system with my ML clszii ck them out on the web .www.jolida.com Good listening my friend:music:

jolida jd-3000 mon blocks 200wtt/ch

for get to say my joilda jd-3000 200wtt/ch mono block , priced right 5500.00 retail ,but you can do better....They push my cslzii effortlessly and they are very hard on aml in general !!!:music:

Hello,
Russ, if wanting to stick with Tubes, you might also want to look at Rogue Audio. They make some of my favorite Tube Amplifiers and seem to do well with Martin Logan ESL's.

I personally like the idea of a Tube Preamp coupled with a Solid State high current Amplifier. Many here use Sunfire Amplifiers to excellent effect. There are many other great choices out there as well.
Cheers,
ML

Hello,
Russ, if wanting to stick with Tubes, you might also want to look at Rogue Audio. They make some of my favorite Tube Amplifiers and seem to do well with Martin Logan ESL's.

I think it's safe to say Ken (RUR) and myself will agree with that !!!.....:music:

Hi Folks,

Also, anybody running Jeff Roland gear? I'd be interested in hearing about that combo.

Onsensical, AKA Russ

It depends on which Jeff Rowland gear you are refering to. If it their current line of class D ICEPower based amps, I am running a ML Spire through a Murano P-1000s (identical to the JR 505 power monoblocks) and its a wonderful match. Superbly detailed with great soundstage and presence factor.
If you are looking for tube sound with more power you might want to try the Conrad Johnson solid state power amps (Premier 350 or CA200 are phenominal). You can also try the Conrad Johnson McCormack line of power amplifiers. DNA-250 would be a good match at a reasonable price.

I think it's safe to say Ken (RUR) and myself will agree with that !!!.....:music:
Indeed, I do. Moreso than pure watts, IME, as I much preferred the 150W Rogues to 450W VTL's. Only a sample of two, so YMMV.

Still waitin' for that Apollo review, Dave......;)

Still waitin' for that Apollo review, Dave......;)

Ken, I stopped by to see Mark just before New Years, he had everything packed up to head out to CES. He called me when he got back, put the ball in my court to call him and set up a date ! .......... so now it's on me ! .......I'm still a we bit nervous that I might do something crazy........like take them home !....:eek: ...LOL !

Onsensical,
If you like the Cary sound, the SLI-80 only offer a glimpse of the musicality of Cary. I think you should look for the Cary V12R to really appreciate the true potential of Cary + Logan combination.

Spike

Ugh, Don't sell your BAT to get Jolida, that's a HUGE step down on the food chain...

Which tubes is your amp running? Does it have 6922's or 6H30's? You might just need a couple of sweeter sounding NOS tubes to get you right where you want to be.

I'd seriously investigate that first!

Hello,
I definitely agree with Jeff. I was biting my tongue about Jolida. While they offer stellar value, BAT is fantastic stuff.
Cheers,
ML

Sylvania, Ohio...............on the SE Michigan border.

You might want to visit some of the hi-end shops around the region and see what they have. Anything of quality should fit.

If you decided to come up to Royal Oak/Detroit or Ann Arbor give me a yell.

EDIT: these guys are near me in Ann Arbor:
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/search2.pl?seller&zzParagonss

CJ:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Doug - out

Yea, some old Premier 140's otta do the trick.

Last edited:
jolida = value hello !!!!

look I had stuff from Mac to NAD and maggies to accustat and I believe $$ for $$ value vs sound and let me say that Jolida offers more bang for the buck and I love my system .... its not about the money you spent its about the sound factor,,,, did we forget that !!!! Just look at there stuff and take a listen you might be surprised .:music:

Jeff Rowland amps

In case anyone is trawling through looking for Jeff Rowland feedback.

I use 2 x Model 8's on Quest z's, pure indulgence but what I get is more 'air', about 1.5 yards ( meters) deeper soundstage perception and of course insane bass control.

The preamp is Jeff Rowand Consumate with his external phono preamp.

I have heard many hi end US made amps but this sonicly is what spins my wheels when it comes to live instrument timbre. I should add I also use Quad gear through the house and JR is for me the US equivalent sonicly but with balls and current to drive MLs although I have a pair of Quad 606 amps driving Ascent i's in the dining room. They soften up under pressure and I suspect I only get 85% out of the speakers but the sound is typical Quad which suits wood and wind instruments.

The amount of harsh underpowered demos with MLs I have heard over the years whilst in the US and Europe doesn't bear thinking about, enough to put me off but MLs are brutal in revealing short comings in the audio chain. Likewise they reward careful pairing of gear and cables. A few hifi makers have been surprised in my home at how the JRs have tamed the MLs!

I should also add I listen to live jazz and classical concerts mainly

Back