My turn with Vinyl....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey, good move, for the Dynavector 20X (I know you stated 20H, but I'm sure you meant the 20XH, 2.8mv output) will work fine with your Cary's phono stage. So for $2500 for the TT and Cart, set-up locally with support, warranty, etc.....I say job well done my friend !!

Joey, good move, for the Dynavector 20X (I know you stated 20H, but I'm sure you meant the 20XH, 2.8mv output) will work fine with your Cary's phono stage. So for $2500 for the TT and Cart, set-up locally with support, warranty, etc.....I say job well done my friend !!

I'm glad I'm doing you proud, Dave! Just following in your footsteps, my friend!

Joey :bowdown:

Joey -

First, off if you by the Scoutmaster you will not be happy with it because you will always be wondering well what if. Second, why not buy the best you can afford than you can't be disappointed. Thrid, the Super Scoutmaster is simply a better table. :D Throw the new CJ $10,000 phono stage and you will be set for life. (Kidding about the 10k phono stage, but from what I am told it will be hard to beat). I am such a Conrad Johnson whore...what happened to me? :eek:

If I had your money, I'd probably get the HRX and call it a day. Or better yet, a Walker Proscenium Black Diamond....

Or a Rockport Sirius III?

Come on, Dennis... adopt me!!!

Joey, of course, another way to look at this is, how much money would you like to spend on records? For instance, for the price of the SSM, you could get a Scout and spend a few grand on records! I know that I have spent a few grand in the last six months on records. It's all about the music, isn't it?:rocker:

You may be right slow... you may be onto something here.

;)

If you are in the 3000 dollar category, The BAT VK-5SE is fantastic. Good gain/loading adjustments, balanced outputs, a bit forward, but very dynamic sound. 10 tubes inside (that means 10 to replace down the road)
$3000 bucks

BAT VK-10SE is 7500, has 10 tubes and also much more resolution than the VK-5. More slam, punch and a bigger soundstage. More refined in every way, but only one input.

Jeff, I own the BAT VK-P5 and love it! I think the resolution I'm getting with it, the Scout and the Aurum Beta S is better than anything I've heard from any digital source, on my system. If the VK-P10 is better, it must be phenomenal! I've also read that the SIX-PAC Plus upgrade to the P5 will bring it to the P10 level, but not quite to the P10-SE level. Also, there are deals out there. I got my P5 for around $2200, new.

Last edited:
I'll bet if you got the six pac upgrade to your P5 you would be pretty close...

What you get with the P10 is an even bigger power supply and more gain flexibility. You also get the ability to go balanced IN to your phono stage which is very nice in terms of lower noise floor!

The P5 is no slouch though. One of my favorites.

If I had your money, I'd probably get the HRX and call it a day. Or better yet, a Walker Proscenium Black Diamond....

Or a Rockport Sirius III?

Come on, Dennis... adopt me!!!

I think you have a wrong perception of my wallet. I could never afford a Walker (like $30,000) or a Rockport (like way to much!!!!) and the VPI would probably be a strech at 12k. Besides I have some other things I want to buy before the end of the year.

Joey:

Unless you become a plastic surgeon, you will always be eating more ramen than you want to get hifi...

Me, I keep driving my old 325i and buying hifi. Every time I get a new component, my wife says "there goes your M3 again!"

At least she has a sense of humor!

Tone:

Listen to your wife once. Go for the M3. You can put hifi in the M3 too. Over 100 in third gear, jammin to some great tunes on your updated auto system in the M3!!!!!!! :rocker:

and they are:

1-??

2-??

3-??

1. Dali Megaline's will for sure be here by the end of the year. (I hope :rolleyes: )
2. I need to buy another pair of CJ LP140s to power the Megaline's
3. Esoteric's new transport and dac. P-05 and D-05

There ya go...

1. Dali Megaline's will for sure be here by the end of the year. (I hope :rolleyes: )
2. I need to buy another pair of CJ LP140s to power the Megaline's
3. Esoteric's new transport and dac. P-05 and D-05

There ya go...

Bwahahahahah!!!

I love seeing other people spend their money! It's like me spending money... but not!

Seriously though, Dennis... you know you GOTTA take pics of them Megalines!

Joey

Bwahahahahah!!!

I love seeing other people spend their money! It's like me spending money... but not!

Seriously though, Dennis... you know you GOTTA take pics of them Megalines!

Joey

When I get them they will be posted...I have no camera but when my son comes to see me we will post them.

When I get them they will be posted...I have no camera but when my son comes to see me we will post them.
What's the timeline that we're looking at now?

T minus ___?

Man... we've severely gone OT.....

What's the timeline that we're looking at now?

T minus ___?

Man... we've severely gone OT.....

Geez...I don't know...it is just so much money! I hope to have them by the end of the year. I am nearing retirement and I suppose I should be saving but I also no that the Dali Megaline's in combination with CJ amps will take me as close to sonic nirvana as I could have ever dreamed. Decisons...Decisions....

Got a Milbert amp to go in that M3, whenever I get the time!!!

My life just got A LOT busier. Big announcement in new issue of
TONE that should be up around Oct 10.

We have a ton of cool stuff in store for next year....

Joey -
FWIW: I had my heart set on a VPI TNT. In one of the places that I deal with (Lyric in NYC - start up the flames!) I was told by my salesman that other brands (SME, Avid, etc.) come closer to sonic neutrality and real music. I bought an SME 10. I later added a model V tonearm. I am quite happy with this pairing, even though it was quite expensive. I made this purchase about a month before the VPI SSM was released. I'd like to do an AB compo to hear the difference between these two. At this point, however, I'm quite satisfied with what I've got and I'm leaving things as they are.

As far as phono amps are concerned, I've had several. I was not enchanted by the Whest or the Herron. For about the past year, I've been using an ARC PH7 and I love it. It makes strings in a symphony orchestra sound like they actually do in real life. The PH5 or 7 are purchases you would not regret making.

TT and phono stages are the most personal IMO, One can spend more on either and not necessarily have more enjoyable sound. As I sit hear writing this and listening to Hendrix's Bold As Love, I am considering DIY phone stages by Marchand, Bottlehead and Hagerman. All tube units and amazing value for money. Check them out on AA before spending 3K to 5K on a phono stage. I've compared my LP12 to all the VPI's up to the Aries and I still have the LP12. To my ears and taste the VPI's aren't as realistic sounding as my modded LP12 whereas the Avids have a similar, more detailed sound, especially the Volvere and the Acutus which is in another league all together both sonically and price wise. You might also consider the Project RPM 10 which has received quite favorable reviews.

we don't see seem to talk much about cartridges...

i feel that carts dictate a good portion of the sound of an analog setup, and i am interested to hear viewpoints on this. of course ideally you need balance in all components - table, tonearm, cart, phono stage, tonearm cable - though in practice we usually make tradeoffs.

for example, in the tas review of the scout they had to work to distinguish the sound of the scout vs hrx, when the same cart (a dynavector xv1s i believe) was mounted.

ps i have a zyx and i like the sound of those. i've also found that i like the koetsu sound.

and your mileage will most definitely vary...

we don't see seem to talk much about cartridges...

i feel that carts dictate a good portion of the sound of an analog setup, and i am interested to hear viewpoints on this. of course ideally you need balance in all components - table, tonearm, cart, phono stage, tonearm cable - though in practice we usually make tradeoffs.

for example, in the tas review of the scout they had to work to distinguish the sound of the scout vs hrx, when the same cart (a dynavector xv1s i believe) was mounted.

ps i have a zyx and i like the sound of those. i've also found that i like the koetsu sound.

and your mileage will most definitely vary...

This is a great idea. Maybe we could say what we feel about certain cartridges, their strengths, weaknesses, etc. Then, knowledge could be transferred that would even go beyond just the cartridges. For example, I really like the Clearaudio Aurum Beta S wood. It is a relatively inexpensive cartridge, in the great scheme of the cartridge world, though I believe the price has recently gone up. On some records, when the singer pronounces an "s" sound, I was getting too much "ssss" sound. I have mostly eliminated that, by carefully adjusting the azimuth, but it is annoying when I do hear it from time to time on certain recordings. Since it only happens with certain records, it may be the record or the performer or the performer's microphone that is the source. Here's what I mean. On The Road to Escondido, on some songs, Eric Clapton's voice seems to have that extra "s" sound, but J. J. Cale's doesn't. Is it the cartridge? Eric's voice? His mic? A mistake in the record mastering?

Joey -
FWIW: I had my heart set on a VPI TNT. In one of the places that I deal with (Lyric in NYC - start up the flames!) I was told by my salesman that other brands (SME, Avid, etc.) come closer to sonic neutrality and real music. I bought an SME 10. I later added a model V tonearm. I am quite happy with this pairing, even though it was quite expensive. I made this purchase about a month before the VPI SSM was released. I'd like to do an AB compo to hear the difference between these two. At this point, however, I'm quite satisfied with what I've got and I'm leaving things as they are.

As far as phono amps are concerned, I've had several. I was not enchanted by the Whest or the Herron. For about the past year, I've been using an ARC PH7 and I love it. It makes strings in a symphony orchestra sound like they actually do in real life. The PH5 or 7 are purchases you would not regret making.

Seth,

I definitely have the SME, Avid, Nottingham on my radar, but they're way too expensive to be on my sights. I think I have settled with the Scoutmaster as my initial foray into vinyl... with the dynavector (though you guys up top made a good point about the cartridge being VERY important to the overall feel/sound). I understand that it may not be the very best in analog reproduction, I have talked to dealers who recommend other brands over it... but to me, I think it's definitely a great place to get my feet wet and get my ears on some vinyl.

The popularity of VPI, the ease at which I can get parts/upgrade components, the ease at which I can get accessories, the resale market... I definitely think this is a good choice for me.

If I had the money, I would definitely be looking at AVID and SME, among others.

Joey

Back