My turn with Vinyl....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't limit yourself to audiophile labels

Well said! The most fun I've had with vinyl is with non-audiophile records.

Last night it was The Best of the Doobies. Woohoo! Not that the band was in the room...even better...I was part of the band! Soundstaging? Hah!

Well said! The most fun I've had with vinyl is with non-audiophile records.

Last night it was The Best of the Doobies. Woohoo! Not that the band was in the room...even better...I was part of the band! Soundstaging? Hah!

Must've been a BLAST! Enjoy!

You're the guy who got to hear all the doodads at that one Hong Kong audioshop right? The Stradivaris and the Dyns along with the Macs? I forget to ask, but are those among the best you've heard so far?

Sorry to derail my own thread... lol!

the Strads? Yeah, easily one of the very best. Can't say I've heard many contenders though. Eventually heard the Elipsas, and they could be the sweet spot in the SF line. Both these SFs can make you (meaning, me) forget about gear.

And they weren't even hooked up to a turntable. To un-derail your thread...

What kind of crap is that, that if you didn't buy your records 30 + years ago you aren't serious?

That's crazy talk! IF you like music and you want to buy vinyl, go for it. There's plenty of it out there and if you do some careful shopping there's a ton of great records to buy.

Granted, some of the mint, collectible albums have gotten a bit spendy because of ebay, and the web, but there are a lot of great reasonably priced records.

Seriously, with the table thing, especially for someone like Joey, I'd get a more moderately priced table and buy more records, because if you buy something at least decent, you can always upgrade the table later.

Go buy all the records you want, I won't turn my nose up at you because you didn't buy em 30 years ago!

:)

What kind of crap is that, that if you didn't buy your records 30 + years ago you aren't serious?

That's crazy talk! IF you like music and you want to buy vinyl, go for it. There's plenty of it out there and if you do some careful shopping there's a ton of great records to buy.

Granted, some of the mint, collectible albums have gotten a bit spendy because of ebay, and the web, but there are a lot of great reasonably priced records.

Seriously, with the table thing, especially for someone like Joey, I'd get a more moderately priced table and buy more records, because if you buy something at least decent, you can always upgrade the table later.

Go buy all the records you want, I won't turn my nose up at you because you didn't buy em 30 years ago!

very well said.

I am pretty sure he isn't even 30 years old. He would have to have Doc Brown make him a time machine to go buy records 30 years ago. :D

Audiophiles tend to be a pretty snobby breed so expect nothing less. Who would have ever guessed a bunch of older men with a bunch of expendable income be snobby...not me!!! :eek:

Absolutely agree!

I agree, buy the music! I didn't see where anyone said," that if you didn't buy your records 30 + years ago you aren't serious?" Or, did I miss that?

I agree, buy the music! I didn't see where anyone said," that if you didn't buy your records 30 + years ago you aren't serious?" Or, did I miss that?

I dunno, I think there's some misinterpretation of Radu's (Lugano) post.

I'm sure he didn't mean you need to have 30 years of history with vinyl to be a vinyl guy.

I dunno, I think there's some misinterpretation of Radu's (Lugano) post.

I'm sure he didn't mean you need to have 30 years of history with vinyl to be a vinyl guy.

I think Lugano meant that vinyl is an issue of commitment and passion. When everyone I know was ditching their vinyl for the little silver discs I was still buying vinyl and scrounging theirs, and RCM, cartridges and TTs, its the commitment. Anyone can be a vinyl guy, new or old, just make the commitment to the music and the medium.

I think Lugano meant that vinyl is an issue of commitment and passion. When everyone I know was ditching their vinyl for the little silver discs I was still buying vinyl and scrounging theirs, and RCM, cartridges and TTs, its the commitment. Anyone can be a vinyl guy, new or old, just make the commitment to the music and the medium.

Couldn't have said it better risabet! It's about engagement with the music via the medium.

Of course, someone new to vinyl will have to forego the dubious pleasure of the trek back to the record store, new LP in hand, to be met with arched eyebrows in response to the complaint that you got a scratched LP; the implication was that YOU scratched it. After a while the people in the store got to know me and took back the LPs without any question. However, there was one guy who asked me what I was using to play them. In response to my "Supex" answer he said, "They never tell you when you buy those cartridges that they make you hear EVERYTHING on the LP !". :rolleyes:

Of course, someone new to vinyl will have to forego the dubious pleasure of the trek back to the record store, new LP in hand, to be met with arched eyebrows in response to the complaint that you got a scratched LP; the implication was that YOU scratched it. After a while the people in the store got to know me and took back the LPs without any question. However, there was one guy who asked me what I was using to play them. In response to my "Supex" answer he said, "They never tell you when you buy those cartridges that they make you hear EVERYTHING on the LP !". :rolleyes:

Ha ha. I did just that a couple of weeks ago; returned a scratched record to Waterloo Records in Austin, TX. No questions asked and gave me a store refund and reordered the record.

Ha ha. I did just that a couple of weeks ago; returned a scratched record to Waterloo Records in Austin, TX. No questions asked and gave me a store refund and reordered the record.

My similar experiences with Waterloo have always been positive-no questions asked.

Back