My turn with Vinyl....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from listening to several new audio bits that I have only read or seen online/magazines.

I listened to several Vivid speakers... very detailed and are based on the BW Nautilus top-of-the-line speakers. Superbly resolving and almost "too transparent", if there's such a thing. Expensive, but good.

I also listened to some Linn self-powered speakers... not my cup of tea. Not only can't I change amps, but it's way to expensive for what they offer sonic-wise. Not impressed. Expensive, but not too good to my ears.

I got ahold of a superbly crafted and executed turntable... the Spotheim SPJ Alba... at almost $30K, it was FANTASTIC!!! I think I found my next love... but, I don't have the greenbacks to do it. Ah well... back to reality.

alba545a.jpg

PS
As good as the Alba was, the dealer told me that I got to hear the Walker Proscenium Black Diamond... it's supposed to be the "bee's knees" (I think that's the term he used).... :).

Just got back from listening to several new audio bits that I have only read or seen online/magazines.

I listened to several Vivid speakers... very detailed and are based on the BW Nautilus top-of-the-line speakers. Superbly resolving and almost "too transparent", if there's such a thing. Expensive, but good.

I also listened to some Linn self-powered speakers... not my cup of tea. Not only can't I change amps, but it's way to expensive for what they offer sonic-wise. Not impressed. Expensive, but not too good to my ears.

I got ahold of a superbly crafted and executed turntable... the Spotheim SPJ Alba... at almost $30K, it was FANTASTIC!!! I think I found my next love... but, I don't have the greenbacks to do it. Ah well... back to reality.

alba545a.jpg

PS
As good as the Alba was, the dealer told me that I got to hear the Walker Proscenium Black Diamond... it's supposed to be the "bee's knees" (I think that's the term he used).... :).

The Martians are coming, the Martians are coming!

The Martians are coming, the Martians are coming!

Indeed! The first thing I thought when I first saw the Vivid speakers were definitely along the same lines as what you just stated....

The martians are indeed coming, my friend. :D

34.jpg

CROP%20speakers.jpg

PS

Joey, the Walker is pretty much my "dream" turntable. Way expensive, Way beautiful, Way good sounding - perhaps the best I've heard personally. I've always said that the VPI HRX is the turntable I might someday afford to have, but at nearly 3 times the cost of the VPI - the Walker is what I lust after! Heres a shot I took of it from last years Rocky Mountain Audio Fest...

Attachments

• Walker04.jpg
    Walker04.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 306
Joey, the Walker is pretty much my "dream" turntable. Way expensive, Way beautiful, Way good sounding - perhaps the best I've heard personally. I've always said that the VPI HRX is the turntable I might someday afford to have, but at nearly 3 times the cost of the VPI - the Walker is what I lust after!

I hear ya, Tim! It's a marvel from every review I've read and talking to several people who've heard it/own it. It's impressive, though unless I go to a RMAF sometime in the next few years, I'll probably never get the chance to hear it.

I will say though that the buck (for me) will stop very short of the Walker. The most I'll even logically spend will be no more than my speaker's price. And after hearing several $30-40K+ speakers, I'm very confident that I won't be spending that much more than what I have now. Perhaps the point of diminishing returns has hit?

Joey

Yes, I understand exactly what you're saying. I often feel the same way, especially after listening to a stratospherically priced system and then coming home to enjoy my own. In many cases I feel like my system simply sounds better. In other cases, the differences, while apparent, aren't enough to motivate me to effect a change in the system with the associated drain on income. You have an amazingly good collection of components, especially now that you are procuring a turntable. By the way - spill the beans already, what did you end up with?

Were I in your young shoes I'd be focusing my attention on building my music collection next. You can always prowl the 'Gon looking for a good deal on cables, or perhaps someday a transport to hook up to your nice DAC, and ultimately, when your schoolwork is done, I know you'll be focusing on a change of location and building a dedicated room for it all. But for now I'd be scouring the record bins in all the tasty music stores I'm sure you guys have in Chi-town.

Can't spill the beans yet guys... sorry.

I receive the package tomorrow or Tuesday, but I won't be opening it until I finish my question bank for Step 2 (Oct 18, pray for me).

I told myself and made a deal with myself NOT to open the TT box and set it up unless I finished the question bank. It's about 2215 questions, and I do between 100-200 a day. I'm on my last leg of questions, probably about 700 left....

I hope I finish soon... my target is Tuesday.

Joey

Is there some reason you continue to play this game?

Cuz I haven't opened up the box and I'm studying 14hours a day. I'm not playing a game, I don't want to start talking about my TT until I've gotten it up and working.

You want to know what it is, it's a Scoutmaster.

It's not a game, if you think it is - then don't play.

Joey -

Wait 'til all the school-related stuff is finished before you begin "The Quest." Vinyl can be very time-consuming. You made a good choice. Everyone likes VPI's newer stuff. Are you going to use a JMW9? Have you decided on a cartridge and a phono stage yet? Take your time and set things up very carefully. Preferably do not do this stuff late at night. Wait until you have enough time to coax that vinyl rig into submission. Good luck and I think you'll agree that the time and money spent were worth it!

Thanks Rich my friend. It would've been your Nottingham Ace/Space had I known sooner. :eek:

If you had the Nottingham, your friends might come over and make fun of you. As you get the platter spinning, they might go into the lawn mower pull-start motions. They might check for burns on your finger from stopping it, etc…:D

Rich,

Thanks for the warning about the Nottingham!

Everyone else,

Thanks much for all your help and tips! I will post pics of the TT once I get my head in gear with this exam studying. I've been in some stress lately so I'm sorry if I seemed a bit grumpy, it's not easy when your career hangs in a balance based on a single exam performance. :(

Anyway, look for pics of the newly set up vinyl rig sometime next week. I have an appointment with my dealer for monday afternoon.... then I'm going to call Dave for some additional info. Tim is out of commission with RMAF going on.

Once again, thanks again everybody! Without this forum and the experienced members, I'd probably still be listening to some computer speakers. ;)

Joey

Joey_V said:
............ I have an appointment with my dealer for monday afternoon....
I hope I am not stating the obvious here, but after your dealer sets up the TT for you, make sure the platter is not resting on the bearing while you are transporting it back home; put a bit of cardboard under the platter to lift it a bit. If the platter is as heavy as my VPI platter (22 lbs, I think), expect sore fingers while lifting the platter to release the cardboard.

I suggest that you buy the cheap but reasonably accurate stylus force gauge made by Shure so you can do a double check on it when you get home. I bought an electronic one on Audiogon, but can't seem to get it to work consistently, so I only use the Shure.

Last edited:
Bernard,

Dealer will help me put it together once at home and I think the TT package comes with a Shure gauge. Thanks man!

Ed,

Thanks! ;)

make sure the platter is not resting on the bearing while you are transporting it back home; put a bit of cardboard under the platter to lift it a bit.

The Platter should NEVER be riding on the bearing assembly what-so-ever when transporting, be sure to keep them SEPERATE.

But as you said Joey, it sounds as if your dealer is coming over to your place to do the set-up, that's good.

Back