my own audio room?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eknuds01

Reaction score
Fellas -

I am moving into a townhouse in a few weeks. One of the rooms is 9.5' x 9.5.'

Does anyone think this is too small for a ML setup?

Erik

You're moving in a few weeks, right? Set it up and see.

Sure, it might not be ideal, but I'm sure you can still get quite a lot of enjoyment in there.........

I'd prefer a dedicated small room than the large room that I've currently got that is not properly sealable off from the rest of the house!!

I think it may work, but it is tight. Acoustic treatments are a must. You will need bass traps, rear wave absorbers, side wall absorbers and probably rear wall absorbers, in my opinion. In a room that size you will be fighting reflections off of all four walls because your speakers will be too close to the front and side walls and you as a listener will probably be too close to the back wall.

Nearfield listening can be a treat with planar speakers. Give it a try.

Fellas -

I am moving into a townhouse in a few weeks. One of the rooms is 9.5' x 9.5.'

Does anyone think this is too small for a ML setup?

Erik

Erik, that is really tight, and worst of all, it's a square.
Not a good combo for an ESL system, and the square aspect ratio is bad for any speaker,. I'm guessing the ceiling is 8 or 9' tall, in which case it's close to a cube, and that’s even worser (sp? :D) still.

In that room, the only high-quality audio reproduction I’d try is a pair of Stax ear-speakers.

But if looking to do something other than ‘phones, I’d go with small mini-monitors (ATF or leaf tweet / Mid) and a separate sub. With the awful bass modes that shape induces, you’d need all the placement flexibility you can muster. A hybrid panel speaker is not it.

I’d suggest the NHT Xd DEQX based system, it’s all integrated, and best of all, has room correction that would really, really help mitigate room induced issues.

Oh, and plan for plenty of bass traps, you’ll need them with those dimensions regardless of speaker system.

Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I’d suggest finding another room, knocking down walls, etc. but getting to where the fundamental shape and characteristics of the room are good.

As much as I love the ML’s, sometimes something else might be a better answer if the room is the main constraint.

Erik, Moving again ???? Didn't you just unpack from your last move ?? LOL !

Like Jonathan said, I tend to agree. Can't you co-exist with your Logans in another room ?

I agree with the square room issue, as Ethan has always pointed that out as a bad thing. But we have to remember we need to deal with what we have available. I do not have a very good room for my setup, but it is what I have, and I believe I deal with it quite nicely. Would we all love a dedicated room for our stuff? Sure, but some of us are not so priviledged.

You can really attack the room with acoustic treatments, or realize the limitations you have, and just live it.

Jon and Rich -

I agree. For this to work, I'll need lots of room treatments. In this case it's just too small of a space, probably. I guess it couldn't hurt to try...

Dave - yep. I wasn't in my new place for very long. However, I'll be working down in Annapolis this summer on a permanent basis and the new house is just 5 miles away from work!

There are other areas for speakers. I'll see what I can do.

I agree with the square room issue, as Ethan has always pointed that out as a bad thing. But we have to remember we need to deal with what we have available.

Yes, and if the room is dedicated, hopefully that means there's no WAF to veto bass traps and other treatment. You can make almost any room sound great given enough treatment!

--Ethan

You're moving in a few weeks, right? Set it up and see.

Sure, it might not be ideal, but I'm sure you can still get quite a lot of enjoyment in there.........

I'd prefer a dedicated small room than the large room that I've currently got that is not properly sealable off from the rest of the house!!

Have you given any thought to sound absorbing folding panels? I think that's what I'm going to look for my new system's location, to block off a hallway. I've seen some in posts on this site.

If you go to small, non ML speakers, I've been having a lot of fun listening to the Sterling LS3/5a's with a Martin Logan Grotto i.....

Back