My first tube experience

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Secondly, I look at the specs - and although I am not a real spec man - the 84 db S/N ratio seems really low as does the thd measurement of .25 - 2% at max output. Would an amp with these specs seem 'quiet'? Would I hear hiss thru the speakers if I went up to them? A solid state amp with these specs would be trashed....

It is pretty well known that the ear can reliably hear distortion of 0.5% on steady-state pure tones. For music the results are not so clear. Various studies have shown that most listeners can't reliably identify distortion on music of < 1% to 2%. Keep in mind that speakers will have distortion levels 2 to 3 times higher than electronics.

Regarding the noise level, I doubt you would hear any tube rush through MLs with 89-92dB efficiency even if turned up to max gain w/o a signal. Of course I'll ask, what purpose would that serve?

I believe they have a 14 day return policy, but a 10% restocking fee might apply. This made me a nervous when I ordered my ProLogue 7s last year, but I needn't have worried. I am a very happy camper!

The shop he went to allowed me to take equipment home (like the Rega Planet CD player) with a hold on my credit card (about ten years ago).

You could also drag your speakers into just about any high-end store during off-hours (slow times) if you arrange it.

The shop he went to allowed me to take equipment home (like the Rega Planet CD player) with a hold on my credit card (about ten years ago).

You could also drag your speakers into just about any high-end store during off-hours (slow times) if you arrange it.

Uh oh...don't say that!!! where do you live?

Back