My first tube experience

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's easy to get carried away with the magic of valves - just make sure you're hearing the shortcommings of the valve designs too - every amp has them.

I see too many people run to valves in an instant only to discover a few months/years later that they are missing something from the SS designs. Just tread carefully, but yes, valves are magic!

Each type has shortcomings, for me the choice is whether or not you can live with the limitations of either type. In my case I listened to SS for years and enjoyed it immensely. When I went back to tubes the trade-off was clear but one I was willing to make. For me giving up a little extension at either end, some bass control and slam was worth it for the magic that occurs in the midrange and the added emotional expression I get from a tube system. IMS and for my tastes, tubes bring the performers to life better than SS does. Keep in mind that this isn't that old tube sound like a stock ST-70 or early CJ amp, that euphonic, syrupy sound but a much more neutral, detailed and dynamic sound than tubes had before. Once again YMMV!

Each type has shortcomings, for me the choice is whether or not you can live with the limitations of either type. In my case I listened to SS for years and enjoyed it immensely. When I went back to tubes the trade-off was clear but one I was willing to make. For me giving up a little extension at either end, some bass control and slam was worth it for the magic that occurs in the midrange and the added emotional expression I get from a tube system. IMS and for my tastes, tubes bring the performers to life better than SS does. Keep in mind that this isn't that old tube sound like a stock ST-70 or early CJ amp, that euphonic, syrupy sound but a much more neutral, detailed and dynamic sound than tubes had before. Once again YMMV!

For me I try to get the best of both worlds by using a valve pre and a SS amp. Of course, everyone is different!! I'd say the same thing to someone who was using valve amps that got wowed by the "control" and "extension" of a SS amp - it's great that you appreciate the good, but hear the shortcomings as well.

The only exception to the rule is when you're spending in megabux territory (eg. ARC REF3 or Halcro DM68) where it ceases to matter whether it is SS or valve - it is just damn good!

I give Halcros the thumbs up, at least when driving Cabasse speakers and playing Dave Brubeck for 30 odd minutes!

Anyway, I'll simply say I read far more stories about how people switched from SS to tube and preferred the tube option, rather than the other way round.

It's dem electwons, dey like zee heat cos it makes dem buzz about a bit more.:ROFL: Datz why zee class A SS sounds better, too.

Keep in mind that this isn't that old tube sound like a stock ST-70 or early CJ amp, that euphonic, syrupy sound but a much more neutral, detailed and dynamic sound than tubes had before. Once again YMMV!
Funny you should say this, but it was a stock ST-70 (when compared with a SS Class A Bedini, on Quad 57's) that turned me on to tubes, and there is no going back.

With respect to my first "kiss", at least with tubes in stereo, it was 1961. The famaliy had just purchased our first stereo console, a beautifull Stromberg Carlson piece. I can still to this day remember laying on the floor mezmerized by the "stereo effect" !

the simplicity and innocence of youth !!

Funny you should say this, but it was a stock ST-70 (when compared with a SS Class A Bedini, on Quad 57's) that turned me on to tubes, and there is no going back.

Me too, actually. I still have that ST-70 in the garage somewhere:ROFL:

Anyway, I'll simply say I read far more stories about how people switched from SS to tube and preferred the tube option, rather than the other way round.

Purely anecdotally, yes this seems true. Also purely anecdotally, it seems true also that more people have / use SS than tube.

It's easy to get carried away with the magic of valves - just make sure you're hearing the shortcommings of the valve designs too - every amp has them.

I see too many people run to valves in an instant only to discover a few months/years later that they are missing something from the SS designs. Just tread carefully, but yes, valves are magic!

If your tube amp/s have trouble driving your speakers, change your speakers to those that are an easy load. You'll be much happier and have a much more musical sounding system than changing to boat anchors to drive a difficult load.

Purely anecdotally, yes this seems true. Also purely anecdotally, it seems true also that more people have / use SS than tube.

Of course, ease of use, no replacement of active devices and mostly plug and play led to SS dominating the market. For the last 20 years CD sold more than LP but they never sounded better IMO. People will forego a lot for convenience.

Of course, ease of use, no replacement of active devices and mostly plug and play led to SS dominating the market. For the last 20 years CD sold more than LP but they never sounded better IMO. People will forego a lot for convenience.

Post of the day!

Probably not your first experience w tubes...My family had a resturaunt chain w Seaburg juke boxes...didn't know it at the time..why did they have a certain sound I liked? They stayed with tubes, or least the ones we had.

I've no experience with the Cary so I can't comment, but if I can afford it, I prefer new stuff. If nothing else, a good warranty is a nice addition to the cachet of owning something brand new. As I said before, I'm really happy with my ProLogue 7s and happily recommend them.

Rich - you mentioned that you have an SP-9 pre-amp... Not sure what that is...

What about the prologue 3 pre? I think the Stereofile review (Sorry Jeff...) said the impedence match between the pre and amps was something to look at (something like you needed an amp with 100K ohm input impedence?? or the highs would be rolled off) Reason I ask... If I wanted to keep the sunfire amp (which I believe has a 24K ohm impedence) - I'm guessing that is an issue... Do you know anything about your SP-9? Do you think adding the Pre would give me the 'magic'? :) Sorry..... P.S. (Do you know anything about the Dialogue 7s??)

The cool thing about the Prima Lunas is that they have a 2-ohm tap on the back. Most tube amps only have a 4-ohm tap. This is one of the few inexpensive tube amps that does a pretty good job with ML's...

Also, because of the auto bias, you can run different tubes to suit your musical taste. Want a little more extension in the highs and a little more punch, go with KT-88's. The 6550 is somewhat neutral (or you can get vintage NOS tubes there too), and if you want a little less power, but more magic in the midrange you can install EL34's. Last but not least, you can even run 6L6 tubes in a Prima Luna. A touch less power than the EL34's, but it makes them sound like vintage McIntosh MC30's.

It can be tons of fun and those amps are incredibly versatile. Built like tanks too. I still have my original Prologue One from five years ago and it's never given me a stitch of trouble...

Jeff - just to be clear -- you think the monobloc amps (prologue 7s) would have enough 'oomph' to drive my odysseys - but the integrateds probably would not? Do you think I would need a solid state amp for the bottom end?

What about the prologue 3 pre? I think the Stereofile review (Sorry Jeff...) said the impedence match between the pre and amps was something to look at (something like you needed an amp with 100K ohm input impedence?? or the highs would be rolled off) Reason I ask... If I wanted to keep the sunfire amp (which I believe has a 24K ohm impedence) - I'm guessing that is an issue... Do you know anything about your SP-9?

The SP-9 preamp is from Audio Research Corporation, dating back to 1987. In the nine years it was produced there were two 'upgrades' mkII and III. I owned the mkII version, had it further modified by Steve Huntley and it now resides in my sons system out in Colorado. A very fine 'pre', IMO

here's a link, FYI.....

http://www.arcdb.ws/SP9/SP9.html

as you can see it's output impedance has a recomended loading of 60k ohms, with a Min of 20k ohms.

just to be clear -- you think the monobloc amps (prologue 7s) would have enough 'oomph' to drive my odysseys - but the integrateds probably would not?
If the amps cannot drive them sufficiently, then sell your speakers (Odysseys) as suggested :ROFL:

If your tube amp/s have trouble driving your speakers, change your speakers to those that are an easy load. You'll be much happier and have a much more musical sounding system than changing to boat anchors to drive a difficult load.

I think he is refering to this, Tim:)

Sorry, I should have been more specific. My preamp is currently the SP-9 Mk 2, from Audio Research. I bought it used 2 or 3 years ago. I think the SP-9 was introduced in the late 80's and was discontinued in the late 90's.

What about the prologue 3 pre? I think the Stereofile review (Sorry Jeff...) said the impedence match between the pre and amps was something to look at (something like you needed an amp with 100K ohm input impedence?? or the highs would be rolled off) Reason I ask... If I wanted to keep the sunfire amp (which I believe has a 24K ohm impedence) - I'm guessing that is an issue... Do you know anything about your SP-9? Do you think adding the Pre would give me the 'magic'? :) Sorry..... P.S. (Do you know anything about the Dialogue 7s??)

I've never heard the ProLogue 3. It was out of my budget range when I bought my SP-9, and I have set my sights rather higher for my next round of upgrades (current high contenders: ARC Phono 7 and Ref 3).

I've not heard anything about the Dialogue 7s. I asked about them when I ordered my ProLogue 7s from Upscale Audio last year. Kevin mentioned that they were in development, but didn't know when a product would emerge. I'm glad I didn't wait!

I think he is refering to this, Tim:)

Yeah, I knew what he was referring to, I just don't get the logic. The guys already has Odyessys and was wondering if he should get a tube amp. Sunday says get the tube amp, but if it's underpowered sell the speakers and get something else. My point is, if you're happy with your speakers (as the OP apparently is) why not seek out a tube amp that does have enough juice to drive them properly. There are plenty of choices that don't include scrapping much of one's system.

Back