Multiple Speakers in a Room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
In looking at pictures of HT set-ups also used for 2 channel, I can't help but think about a statement made many years ago by Ivor Tiefenbrunn (of Linn) that you should not have any speakers in the room other than the active ones, as they negatively impact the sound. So I was wondering if anyone has listened to their 2-channel system with the entire HT set-up in place, then removed the additional speakers and listened again.

Yes , last night I removed my Quest from the room and I also removed the furniture. I do not know if its the drivers absorbing the sound or the furniture or a little of both but IT WAS A BIG IMPROVEMENT..;) I do have some tiny 3 x 5 inch box surround speakers up on the wall but they are so small I don't know if they make a deal.

We all would love a dedicated room for 2 channel if we could ! :music:

Passive speakers in the room definitely negatively effect the sound. My TV speakers impact the sound. Ivor recommended cutting out the TV speaker if you couldn't remove the TV from the room, a touch extreme I think. Another way to go about improving the sound is to short the + and - inputs of unused speakers. This cancels any passive mov't of the drivers.

I have SL3's for HT about 16" outside my CLS's. I stand an accoustical panel in front of them when listening to 2ch.

I do think having panels to right and left of the CLS's helps clean up the sound to the right and left of the CLS's. I am not sure if this is due to the lack of reflected sound from behind or negitive effect of the SL3's standing next to them.

I have noticed that when HT is playing there is some vibration visable in the CLS panels. I don't know if this is from the floor or in air sound waves.

Passive speakers in the room definitely negatively effect the sound. My TV speakers impact the sound. Ivor recommended cutting out the TV speaker if you couldn't remove the TV from the room, a touch extreme I think. Another way to go about improving the sound is to short the + and - inputs of unused speakers. This cancels any passive mov't of the drivers.

Hum, I'd be very surprised if TV speakers had any measurable impact. At least no more than moving a throw-pillow around on the couch.

Now, if one had big tower speakers sitting next to a 2ch mini-monitor, well, yes, that would have an impact, as you essentially have a big box full of passive radiators that will react to the sound pressures of the mini-monitor.

Also, shorting the inputs would have next to no effect either. It’s not like the flux reactance would overcome the air-pressure induced vibrations in the cones.

So in general, yes, getting rid of superfluous speakers is a good idea, but it’s not like they’re deadly or anything ;)

I would guess that any speaker in the room not playing music would be absorbing it, and maybe acting as a bass absorber as it deflects to the sound pressure levels.

First time I've heard this statement (original post), so I'm still wrestling with the concept.

ahhhhh............. the more speakers you have in your room, the more you begin to look like a "Tweeter" show room, sorry I couldn't resist !

Back