Moving my new Odysseys?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormBringer

Reaction score
Looks like through the board I think I was able to grab a set of Odysseys which I have always loved. (going on 4 years now) Now I have a big problem, my new speakers are in LA, I am in San Diego. The speakers do not have there original boxes, how do I get them home safe.

So humor me for a minute, they only weigh ~100lbs a piece so thats not such a big deal, they are only 67 inches tall so they would fit in the back of my Element it I took the seats out but I would have to lay then on their sides which I do know know if I can do?

Now if I can lay them on there sides, what do I need to do to prep them or the voyage, should I wrap them in plastic or simply put a few blackets around them. Anybody who has one this if you could tell me how you moved yours and if you have any tricks could you please share.

Just pick up all the pillows and blankets you have in house and go for them. If you're really picky, disassemble them once you get at destination (take away the stators from the box) and pack them separately.

Just pick up all the pillows and blankets you have in house and go for them. If you're really picky, disassemble them once you get at destination (take away the stators from the box) and pack them separately.

Sounds good to me. Pillows and some thick quilts should get them there safe. Just dont put the speaker post down, you could snap them off. Thats how I moved my demo Vistas with no problem, just try to distribute the weight as best as you can.

Great thanks for the advice, I think I am going to bring some moving blackets and wrap them and then lay them on a few layers of blankets with some pillow wedged so they do not move around.

Hopefully I can pick them up tommorow or on Sat.

Cannot wait to get them home and start playing around with my amps.

Yeah, you should be OK.

congrats on the purchase! That's very exciting.. Please do give your impressions once you get them up and dialed in.

Tom.

Hi,

I bought my Oddessey's a few months ago too, with no boxes. What I did was pick them up with our van and I took a lot of heavy comforters that you would use on your bed and also lots of padded chaise lounge cushions along with a lot of pillows and throw pillows.

With all that stuff, they were well separated from each other and well padded on all sides. If you have a van or can borrow a friends, I would recommend that as if the weather gets bad , the Oddessey's would be okay.

I just went through this same thing.

Just remove the panels, protect them with bubble wrap galore and then box those up. The frames can be treated as furniture and moved accordingly.

This is advice from the fine folks at ML :)

Sound good guys, leaving San DIego at 7:00 or so heading up to L.A. Back by ~11:30 give or take traffic.

Buy a big roll of bubble wrap and tape. Wrap them up in bubble wrap works very well and stays on while you're moving them. You can use blankets to wrap them and tape or tie those up as well.

Be sure to remove the spikes before moving the speakers and don't put the spikes back on until you've settled on the optimum position. Give it a month or so.

Definitely have someone help you carry them around and to watch the top end so you don't bang into walls or other stuff.

The Odysseys have handles built into the design of the speakers. Best to grab them by the front and back of the woofer cabinet. Use these built in handles when lifting off the ground or repositioning.

Congratulations, They're awesome speakers when fed and cared for properly.

Just got back home 12:30am give or take. these guys are bigger then I remember, which is good, I like big speakers. Plus they are heavy, I can move them pretty easy in and out of the truck by myself but anybody smaller then me would have a huge problem.

I heard them fired up in a bad room to close to the wall with really bad cables and in my opinion a mismatched amp and they still sing, I cannot wait to get them fired up in te big room tommorow. But I have to do some more shopping, new cables and a new amp, nothing I have is going to power these guys.

I am going to have to go intergrated this time because my rack has almost no space left. I might be able to sneak a 1062 on top on a smaller amp and get it to fit but it is questionable. I like as little inbetween the speakers as possible.

you get any sleep last night????

I remember the road trip to SoCal to pick up my reQuests... bay area to Palm Springs... (8 hours), listened to them for about 30 minutes with the original owner.. loaded them into the van we rented and then headed to LA for breakfast at DuPars (best pancakes in the world), then back to the bay area.

Set those bad boys up immediately and stayed up until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer! It was a great weekend!

I got home pulled them into the garage and promptly fell right asleep, I have nothing to power them with right now so its going to be at least a day or to until I can find a good bit of kit to drive them.

Does anybody have any suggestions or a intergrated that I can use as a pre-amp in a few months that wll fit the bill. I have always be partial to rotel 1062 like I used to run my maggie's on with a RB-1080 underneath.

I did drag up my old 2270 which would be great powerwise but has no digital link and it needs a bit of service.

Storm,

Make sure to take pics as we are all pics whores here!!

Glad you got back in one piece and the speakers, too.

You must be pretty damn big to be able to lift speakers that are that big and tall....

Joey

I got home pulled them into the garage and promptly fell right asleep, I have nothing to power them with right now so its going to be at least a day or to until I can find a good bit of kit to drive them.

Does anybody have any suggestions or a intergrated that I can use as a pre-amp in a few months that wll fit the bill. I have always be partial to rotel 1062 like I used to run my maggie's on with a RB-1080 underneath.

I did drag up my old 2270 which would be great powerwise but has no digital link and it needs a bit of service.

You can find Krell KAV-300i's for around $1000.

Well they work!!!!!!!! :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

I borrowed a nice rotel from san diego stereo design for a few days, just 100 watt but holy living heck they are fun speakers with a intergrated and my dvd player running a CD into them. They fill the whole house (open modern layout) at half volume. I warmed them up and put them to my normal voume and walked the lin around my house, cannot hear to much maybe just a whisper.

I think I am just going to do a 1062 and call it a day, 450$ used and I am complete.

I have to get my DAC setup run and get the new computer up ad running with the touchscreen but hat can wait for a few days until I really get used to these guys.

Well they work!!!!!!!! :rocker: :rocker:

I think I am just going to do a 1062 and call it a day, 450$ used and I am complete.

That won' last! Joeyitis will get a good firm hold of you and you will be looking for tube seprates in NO TIME! LOL! I am fighting a loosing battle with infection myself! I think I am in good company! :D

That won' last! Joeyitis will get a good firm hold of you and you will be looking for tube seprates in NO TIME! LOL! I am fighting a loosing battle with infection myself! I think I am in good company! :D

I am to poor with my other hobbies to upgrade to much more, anyway my GT3ish 911 eats most of my free cash.

So finally a picture, don't pay to much attention to the chainsaw or the big ax in the picture, I have been demoing the bak yard to build a new patio and as such have tools of destruction all over the house.

3.jpg

You're a scary man Storm!

Chainsaw in the listening room?

Reminds me of that Budlight/Millerlite commercial (not sure which it was)...

"Let's stop for the hitchhiker, honey."
"But he has a chainsaw!"
"But he has Budlight!"

:D

I am to poor with my other hobbies to upgrade to much more, anyway my GT3ish 911 eats most of my free cash.

Was that the '99 pictured on another thread? What have you done to it? Any motor work, or just suspension body stuff? Such nice cars... Have you had it out to Fontana for a PCA DE?

Was that the '99 pictured on another thread? What have you done to it? Any motor work, or just suspension body stuff? Such nice cars... Have you had it out to Fontana for a PCA DE?

No I have not had mine out yet to the track yet. I used to track my 65 cobra but unfortunetly my time because of work has significantly cut into my track time. I don't think that I have been out even to a autocross in at least two years.

I have a 1999 911 with pretty much all the factory GT3 bits on it, except for drivetrain. Aero, rims, suspension, PSE stuff like that. I love it no PASM, no throttle roll back, heck no ABS because it is disconnected right now.

The plan for the car was to strip the body down and do a Getty RSR conversion to it but I have been so buzy lately that I have not even begun to to the teardown.

Back