monster power

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to debate what seems to be the big bad 'M' here but I purchased a Monster Pro 3500 (at a good price) and got what I wanted. A decent power conditioner with all the plugs I wanted and a resulting nearly nil noise floor. No regrests with the purchase.

I may be a bit naieve on the other aspects of power conditioning but there was a noticible drop in the noise floor without any percieved degradation of the music. isn't that what it's about?

I have the HTPS-7000-SS and I was pretty happy with it until I realized that for what I paid for it I could have gotten something with Voltage Regulation and maybe UPS.

Rich, no it would not. Capacitors are electronic components built to match certain specifications. A capacitor with a +-1% tolerance will have a capacitance within that range around its nominal value. From day one and no burn in required. In a given circuit it will charge and discharge in a deterministic fashion within the circuit's tolerance range.

Even if capacitor burn-in does exist it would be most noticeable if the caps are in the audio path i.e. in amps' PSUs and more so in passive crossovers. Besides, your amps are competently designed so they already have huge buffer caps in their own power supplies anyway.

So, if I picked this up - would I expect to hear a sonic difference? What about plugging the power amp into it? I have heard that amps plugged into power conditioners usually degrade the sonics... What does this 2600 usually go for?

You probably will not hear a difference. BTW, i miss-quoted my own model, it was the HTS-3600, not the 2600. I did noticed in your post that you purchased the 2600 for $80; excellent deal.

There can be an output problem, as others have mentioned. I know that the Bryston 6B-SST amp manual warns against the use of power conditioners. It may be best to contact the manufacturer to get their input on the use of power conditioners.

You probably will not hear a difference. BTW, i miss-quoted my own model, it was the HTS-3600, not the 2600. I did noticed in your post that you purchased the 2600 for $80; excellent deal.

There can be an output problem, as others have mentioned. I know that the Bryston 6B-SST amp manual warns against the use of power conditioners. It may be best to contact the manufacturer to get their input on the use of power conditioners.

For what it is worth guys - so far - no problem. If there is a difference - I will need to connect everything back up the other way and give a listen... which I will do.

Funny story - I plugged it in - noticed ...hmmm... sounds 'ok' but the imaging seems a bit off - and the vocals seem more forward...hmmm....So, I listen for a day - then go look behind my 'stuff'.... (I bi-amp) ... I had 1 wire disconnected from the woofer and the panel from moving things around......
Re-connected - and 'oh, that's what it sounded like before...'....

Wow, I was seriously considering buying a Monster unit until I came across this thread. I'm glad you guys are here! I'm going to look into that Belkin PF60 now, features list sounds good and the price is right.

I have a Monster HTS 5100. It is connected to all my equipment except my Mac Amp. No problems, works perfectly. All my equipment is dead quiet. Never any problems, shuts down when needed.

I run a PS Audio Quintessence Power Center for my 2-channel rig. It has been discontinued and the old stock is being sold at a heavy discount. Check Audiogon.com - $1200 retail going for $500 new in the box.

I use a Panamax M5400-PM for my home theater now. I had an old Panamax 1000 that died and I found out has a lifetime warranty. I could get it replaced for free or they would give me 65% off a new model. I opted for the new model. Also, Panamax was bought by Furman, so new models use technology taken from the Furman pro series.

Ok - have had this hooked up for about a week now. I hear no difference - which is what I had hoped for. I have yet to put everything back to where it was to do the A/B. But, we shall see. I have everything (including my Sunfire Sig Grand amp - which was hooked to the wall) except my Odysseys hooked into it. To be fair, I do not crank at loud volumes. You aren't going to hear 100 watts coming from my room. Usually anywhere from 1 - 20 watts at most (based on my memory of the loudness level of my old system at 1 watt). So far this looks like a nice little bargain for me.

Hey guys,
time to revive this thread, as my Monster HTS2600 MKII took a dump today. I bought it used several years ago on the cheap... Kerry and I were listening to music and suddenly everything stopped, and a solid tone was sounding from the HTS.... I don't have the manual, so I looked it up online and it says, "congratulations, your power conditioner just sacrificed itself to save your equipment..." or words to that effect... Kinda like Jesus.... LOL

Had to jerry rig something for now, but will probably go buy a panamax at best buy later tonight or tomorrow...

Tom,

I just spent untold cycles going through every kind of power conditioner out there.

TonePub pointed me toward Running Springs Audio and Essence Power Cords. I put them up against a PS Audio Power PLant Premier, Monster, Panamax during an inhome trial and Jeff was right again.

The Running Springs Audo bested them all. It did not restrict the power amp at all, yet protected it.

It also did not limit dynamics, listening to the beginning of the Beatles Love DVDa, there are some how should I say delicate sounds, bees buzzing, birds singing and flying around and if there is any dynamic restriction it is obvious right there.

Then there is good bass and some serious volume increases to test the other end of the spectrum right after that passage.

If you set up your power amp so that you can switch the power cord from one conditioner to the other with just a second or two between sound listening, you can tell 100% for sure which you prefer.

Although you might want to substitute Keane for the Mop Heads.:D

Of course you may not be as interested or inclined to work that hard to find the best set up and you might want just something that works, and that is okay too, the above routine should work for any comparison of Power Conditioners. Or just check with TonePub he has done it all.

Latest posts

Back