mc275s on summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnoliarichj

Reaction score
Hi all.... Im in the market for an amp upgrade and i was thinking of doing 2 mc275s in briged mode 1 for each speaker... has any one heard this or can comment on the sound a bit. the only local place that has 1 of them i have to bring my speakers to them to hear it.

Hi all.... Im in the market for an amp upgrade and i was thinking of doing 2 mc275s in briged mode 1 for each speaker... has any one heard this or can comment on the sound a bit. the only local place that has 1 of them i have to bring my speakers to them to hear it.

I think this is a fairly popular tube amp and if you use the search function you'll likely come up with a number of threads devoted to that (and other Mac) amp.

Erik

They are brilliant in mono any day of the week. I used to use 2 of them. The only reason I don't now is I leave my hifi on for long hours and would use up tube life. Having had a number of valve based amps and solid state they are perfect to my ears for esls. I also found they can work well being driven direct by a DAC (I used to use a Wadia 27ix) or using pre - I would look at using a solid state pre from my time with them (I used to use a Mac C220 and C46).

I think the MC 275's would give you a very nice midrange, but would roll off a little on the highs, and not be so firm and tight in the bass. The 501's would be a much better match with Summits, in my opinion. But it just depends on what is important to you, sonically.

I think Rich nailed it above. I had both the 275's and the 501's available for demo in my own home. The 275's were fabulous in the mids but I thought the 501 was was the winner top to bottom.

I also have to admit I was afraid of getting into tube rolling and the 501's saved me money in the long run! I prefer to drive the Spires on the 4 Ohm tap, the 8 and 2 were not as pleasing to me.

Gordon

Would it be fair to say that it depends on what type of music you listen to?

MC 275's for vocals and jazz quintets.

501's for large scale orchestra and processed progressive rock?

People who purchase amps on its voicing and a select type of music are being, IMHO, very short sighted and will ultimately regret the decision.

There are lots of ways to voice a system and the amplifier should not be part of that equation.

Who knows what kind of music you are going to prefer and / or listen to tomorrow.

The correct amp should be able to play all musical genres well.

GG

PS: Buy the most neutral sounding amp you can afford that will perform well with your room size and your listening levels.

Last edited:
The correct amp should be able to play all musical genres well.

GG

PS: Buy the most neutral sounding amp you can afford that will perform well with your room size and your listening levels.

I agree completely. I owned one MC275 for a pair of Vantage's and it performed very nicely. I even went through a phase of tube rolling and found it quite fun for a season. After getting an Ayre V5xe amp there was no comparison in the overall performance. The Ayre was more neutral sounding and sent a much cleaner signal to the bass amp in the Vantages which translated into a better controlled bass.

With every improvement of my system, my taste and variety of the music I listen to seems to expand with it.

A better system (including amp) with make everything sound better or at least be more enjoyable.

The system should match the room and it's limits, no need for a powerful PA system if you are not operating a night club.

I went from 2x275s to 2x501s and the back to 2x275s because I missed what they could do but it is a very individual choice.

1 MC275 on my Vantages and dig it wont be changin 'cept maybe adding another

I use both the MC275 and the MC452 with my Summit Xs. There is a huge difference between the two. My room needs a lot of acoustic work (overly bright, I think), but of the two amps, I prefer the MC275. I like the big fat midrange the MC275 produces. I like the bass from this amp better too. Not as well defined as the MC452, but fatter and smoother, which I like. The high end is a little rolled off, which also helps in my bright room. I might feel differently after the room is treated.

I listen to primarily acoustic jazz at moderate levels. In a larger, better damped room, at higher volume levels, the MC452 might be the better choice.

after much research and debate i ordered a 402

I had this combination. After eight months of wondering why I was no longer enjoying my music I did a lot of research and experimenting. Output transformer equipped amplifiers roll off the top end due to the Summit's very low impedence at high frequencies. The air and presence that makes music live is lost. It just wasn't satisfying even though the midrange and bass was best in class using the 402. A good direct-coupled power amp front-ended by the excellent C2300 tube preamp brought it all back.

Back