Martin Logan drawbacks/negatives?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And this from Stereophile back in '03:

Conclusions
Measured performance doesn't always correlate with actual sound, but in this case, assuming the Parasound Halo JC 1's published specs resemble what John Atkinson measures, there's a strong connection. The specs show ultra-wide bandwidth, high-current capability, low, low noise, a high signal/noise ratio, and a fast slew rate, among many other indicators of outstanding amplifier performance.

That's what I heard. There was nothing solid-state-sounding about the JC 1—either on top, where it was anything but "hard" or "etched," or on bottom, where it didn't serve up one-note, overdamped bass. If the Halo JC 1 committed any sonic errors, they were on the subtractive side and easily missed. Perhaps some listeners will find the JC 1 too refined and perhaps a tad polite, but I didn't.

There was an honesty to the overall tonal and harmonic presentation that transcended technological stereotypes. Powerful, refined, smooth, organized, dynamic, transparent, and rhythmically supple, the JC 1 offered a combination of attributes that added up to many weeks of listening pleasure. I'd be happy to have it go on indefinitely—as, no doubt, will many of you. If you need to spend more than $6000 for 800W of stereo amplification, by all means do so, but I'm not sure you'll get much more measured or audible performance—or pleasure—than what Parasound's superbly built Halo JC 1s delivered. A bargain, and highly recommended.

One thing to really consider as well with gear is that its not always a good thing to have a certain "name brand" component. I had the MBL 8011AM mono blocks, and they were recommended by many many people for my CLX, so I got em. It never really sounded perfect even though it sounded fantastic. Many people have said via emails and pm's that I was crazy to sell them and get the the new Ampzilla 2000 MKII mono's, but Ill tell ya, thats crap! its all about synergy and your setup, room accoustics etc. Name doesnt mean anything when it needs to be mixed with other components. Hell, when I had the LSA Statement amp it sounded way smoother, less edgy and had a bigger soundstage then the MBL and its way cheaper! Most people on High end sites dont even consider the LSA a "good" amp, again crap! But thats my experience. I have learned some lessons and will learn more. I am dead set on Martin Logan, but the rest is TBD.

One thing to really consider as well with gear is that its not always a good thing to have a certain "name brand" component. I had the MBL 8011AM mono blocks, and they were recommended by many many people for my CLX, so I got em. It never really sounded perfect even though it sounded fantastic. Many people have said via emails and pm's that I was crazy to sell them and get the the new Ampzilla 2000 MKII mono's, but Ill tell ya, thats crap! its all about synergy and your setup, room accoustics etc. Name doesnt mean anything when it needs to be mixed with other components. Hell, when I had the LSA Statement amp it sounded way smoother, less edgy and had a bigger soundstage then the MBL and its way cheaper! Most people on High end sites dont even consider the LSA a "good" amp, again crap! But thats my experience. I have learned some lessons and will learn more. I am dead set on Martin Logan, but the rest is TBD.

Good thoughts. I was thinking about going to the amp section or to another forum and asking people to recommend for the CLX. Course I was wondering if people on other sites would give good feedback on what sounds good with MLs. I have always kind of wanted McIntosh or Krell, but they are really expensive.

At first when I head the CLX w/ McIntosh MC452 it didn't sound that good on live Adele cd, but on live Dire Straits cd it sounded awesome. Course they were only about 3ft from the wall. The chair I was sitting in was only about 6ft from the speakers.

Amps can be easily changed, too... and if you buy them used you can usually sell them for what you pay... so that makes it MUCH easier.

Amps can be easily changed, too... and if you buy them used you can usually sell them for what you pay... so that makes it MUCH easier.

I don't want to start flipping it like I do golf equipment. It would be way to expensive.

Back