Martin Logan drawbacks/negatives?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They also had b&w 800 and the clx was much better. I really want the clx & mac combo.

They work will together.

Really nice set up you have there.

In my excitement, I forgot to mention that I also heard the Summit X with Rotel electronics. Something seemed lacking, room was really narrow, being only about 4 feet from speakers when listening, bass/low end was missing.

Boycer,

I'd totally disregard forming any opinion on your Summit X audition given the room, the electronics, and the speaker setup.

The Summits, like all ML's, are very sensitive to all of the above and, if not optimized, they will undoubtedly underperform.

Rest assured they can do bass well and many other positive things.

GG

Boycer, I'm new here. Just picked up new electromotions a couple days ago along with a new Primalua Dialogue 2 tube amp ( using KT 120 s) and the speakers sound awesome. I thought about the Theos, but at 2.5 times the price of the electromotions, couldn't hear that much of a difference to justify the price. ( you could add 3 more electromotions later to complete a 5.1 HT system for the price of a Theos. Even with only about 40 watts power, the speakers sound beautiful, transparent highs and lots of bass. Very pleased with these speakers. I don't think I'll even have to add a sub as I'm just using them for 2 channel system.

Boycer, I'm new here. Just picked up new electromotions a couple days ago along with a new Primalua Dialogue 2 tube amp ( using KT 120 s) and the speakers sound awesome. I thought about the Theos, but at 2.5 times the price of the electromotions, couldn't hear that much of a difference to justify the price. ( you could add 3 more electromotions later to complete a 5.1 HT system for the price of a Theos. Even with only about 40 watts power, the speakers sound beautiful, transparent highs and lots of bass. Very pleased with these speakers. I don't think I'll even have to add a sub as I'm just using them for 2 channel system.

Burger, I bet your new Prima Luna / EM setup sounds wonderful! Congrats! Post some pics when you get a chance. We'd love to see the setup.

Boycer,

I'd totally disregard forming any opinion on your Summit X audition given the room, the electronics, and the speaker setup.

The Summits, like all ML's, are very sensitive to all of the above and, if not optimized, they will undoubtedly underperform.

Rest assured they can do bass well and many other positive things.

GG

GG, thanks, The room could have been set up much better for the Summits X. I have found another deal about a hour away. I haven't contacted them yet to see what they have to audition. I will be contacting them to see what they have and go for a listen. Their is a big price difference in the Summit X and CLX, could pay for better electronics.

Course I am in a little undecided about buying from a dealer or buying used off of audiogon.com. $24,000 from a dealer for CLX, used on here/audiogon for $13,000. That $11,000 difference pays for some good MAC amps and preamp.

Thanks for the response. I haven't heard the electromotions yet. I think they have them at 3 bestbuy stores around here. They sure would be a lot cheaper then the higher end stuff. Course at Bestbuy, their amps will probably not be as good and the their setup probably wont be very good.

Burger, I bet your new Prima Luna / EM setup sounds wonderful! Congrats! Post some pics when you get a chance. We'd love to see the setup.

Yeah, the setup sounds great. Trying to insert a pic, but don't know if it will work.

Attachments

• martin logans.jpg
    martin logans.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 222
yeahh, it works. I just built this 2 channel system in my fish room, so when I watch my reef tank, I had some good quality tunes.

Boycer11

There is a big price difference between the Summit X and the CLX. There is also a big step up in audio performance. If you can afford the CLX it will not disappoint. I started out with the Vantage, then Summits and now CLX's. I lost a lot of money in constant upgrades. Buy the best speakers you can afford. If you buy the Summit X, I could tell you will want to upgrade. You sound like me. Always on the up grade path. There are no plans in the near future for a CLX upgrade from Martin Logan.

Good luck in your decision.

Boycer11

There is a big price difference between the Summit X and the CLX. There is also a big step up in audio performance. If you can afford the CLX it will not disappoint. I started out with the Vantage, then Summits and now CLX's. I lost a lot of money in constant upgrades. Buy the best speakers you can afford. If you buy the Summit X, I could tell you will want to upgrade. You sound like me. Always on the up grade path. There are no plans in the near future for a CLX upgrade from Martin Logan.

Good luck in your decision.

Ron, thanks! That is good information. Actually I just usually like to buy what I want the first time. Figure I lose money trading up. I might end up copying your setup or something simular. Guess it depends on if I get everything from a dealer I might go with the summit x, course maybe I will picked up used clx then get the rest from a dealer. I really cant afford to buy all your stuff from a dealer, but maybe used or at a discount.

Yes, it's a coffee table fish tank. Just have 3 big turtles in there. The other tank is my saltwater reef tank, all live corals

Ron, thanks! That is good information. Actually I just usually like to buy what I want the first time. Figure I lose money trading up. I might end up copying your setup or something simular. Guess it depends on if I get everything from a dealer I might go with the summit x, course maybe I will picked up used clx then get the rest from a dealer. I really cant afford to buy all your stuff from a dealer, but maybe used or at a discount.

+1 on Ron's comments. I've never owned speakers of any make/model prior to the CLX where I wasn't thinking of upgrading or just making a change within a few months. That all came to a screeching halt with CLX. Zero desire to change these bad boys out and it's been well over a year now. They are magic. But they also demand a good environment and serious upstream component quality.

Beautiful room. Have you done any acoustical dampening?

+1 on Ron's comments. I've never owned speakers of any make/model prior to the CLX where I wasn't thinking of upgrading or just making a change within a few months. That all came to a screeching halt with CLX. Zero desire to change these bad boys out and it's been well over a year now. They are magic. But they also demand a good environment and serious upstream component quality.

Thanks for the reply. I really want the CLXs. I really cant afford to buy all this stuff new though. I looked at your set up and have never heard of the elctronics and accessories. I have a lot of studying to do and a lot of questions to ask. I just spent the last hour on audiogon. it all added up to around $30,000 really fast.

Im.guess the ClX, my definiitive power cube 2x10 sub w/1600 watts, mcintosh mc452 2x450, my denon 2802 avr, sony dvd/cd player would be an ok start? Im not sure about cable though and wish I already had a new house.

Back