Marantz vs Denon

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockeratheart

Reaction score
I have A/B compared these two receivers on paper alot. Denon AVR 3311 and Marantz SR5005. The reason I am looking at these two models, is that they are the first in each line to have pre outs. The Denon is $1200 MSRP and the Marantz is $800.

There are significant differences of power and second subwoofer out, etc., but I'm just concerned with the two channel differences using another amp. What specifications can I compare that would justify the Denon over Marantz and the price difference? I'm only critical about my two channel end result. Both of these would be an improvement over my current home theater setup. I have a Denon now, but I'm not concerned about brand loyalty at this point.

I don't have an amp or ML yet.

it same same stuff. different package. both us audessy (sp.) the menus are the same software and the are owned by the same parent company. until you get into the higher end stuff i doubt youll find than many differences between them I haven't found them installing.

If you're convinced a receiver is the way to go here (versus say a higher-end used pre/pro), then I would just do a comparison walk-thru of features to make sure you're getting what you want. If the less expensive item is adequate, go for it. I agree that at this level of receiver, you are unlikely to hear any significant difference between the two wrt pre-out performance.

BTW, OneCall (reputable online seller) has an open-box SR5005 for $600 (with free shipping :) )

http://www.onecall.com/product/Marantz/SR5005-Open-Box/Receiver/_/R-107044

Cheers

Last edited:
I feel wrong deciding against a used pre/pro. I would rather have seperates. But since my receiver now doesn't have pre outs, I'm starting all over. And step one into better gear will need to be a small one due to funds and family. I will say I was surprised that I had to go up the line so far in Denon to get pre amp outputs.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I felt there wasn't a huge difference. But features being what they are, I really think I will be happy putting 400 more clams towards an amp and speakers.

ben:cool:

Back