Jl 113

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron

Reaction score
I decided to sell my Velodyne DD 15 and purchase a Jl 113 to use with my CLX's in 2 channel music, and for movies 5.1. I think the CLX's can use a little extra base. With my summits, I did not need that additional base. I am not sure if the Velodyne would work well with the CLX's. I tried to use the Velodyne with the Vantages I started with and it did not work well for me. For theater the Velodynes are great. For 2 channel I am not sure.

On some songs only, I notice that my summits go a little lower. For the most, they do not seem to be lacking for the music I listen to. It does not hurt to have a sub if it well intergrate properly.

Ron, I had a very difficult time, if down right impossible task of trying to blend my REL B1 with both the Vantage and the Spire. For quite a long time I ran no sub at all but always thought the bottom was a bit a thin.

I guess the Summit and the X have the advantage of the extra woofer which makes the bottom more full? The CLX? I have no idea, I'm sure Jeff will chime in.

I have come to the conclusion that a pair is the hot lick for me. I have the F112's and have never been happier. I'm experimenting with them and so far, I like them out of the corners and inboard of the Spires. I've found the JL to pretty accurate to about 110-115 hz.

Corner loading gives a bit more slam but gives up some accuracy in my room. I'm sure Ivan can make a second 113 work :D

Gordon

I could never get the REL to integrate with my Vantages or Summits either. The only ones I've had good luck with have been the ML's and the JL's.

Will, I got the new McIntosh MX150 hooked up with the jl113. I have it set up with a balanced cable from the sub to the Mac. For 2 channel music it is superb, and also in my 5.1 setup. I could not be happier.

Ron, oh once you buy a JL113 you will never look back at any other sub! I sold my older Velodyne F1800RII which did its duty for many years, but the JL is in a league of its own! It is really less of a sub, and more of an "air mover" on very low notes... The visceral impact is incredible. The sub is very musical and is a bit better for music than for movies Imo because alot of the DVD's simply can have overcooked bass.
Pretty much every ML speaker will greatly benefit having the bottom octaves augmented by one (or 2 or 4) of these beasts! I loved one so much that I ended up buying a second one!
You will not regret your purchase, I promise!

Len44,

You know I wondered about that too with all this JL buzz lately. Now I should know the answer to that question in just a couple of days.

I broke down and bought a Gotham to replace the Descent i in my 5.1 music only system. But first the shootout!

And who knows, I may keep the Descent i and place it at the opposite end of the room just to see how JL and ML play nice with each other. Could be a real subplot to this JL vs ML thing:D

Len44,

You know I wondered about that too with all this JL buzz lately. Now I should know the answer to that question in just a couple of days.

I broke down and bought a Gotham to replace the Descent i in my 5.1 music only system. But first the shootout!

And who knows, I may keep the Descent i and place it at the opposite end of the room just to see how JL and ML play nice with each other. Could be a real subplot to this JL vs ML thing:D

Oh, how great is that! I cannot wait to see your listening impressions... The JL subs are in a league of their own and match perfectly with ML speakers imho...

Len44,

Oh my -- Terrific idea! Please DO keep us posted...:rocker::music::bowdown:

Well I got the JL Gotham today and just finished installing it in to my CLX 5.1 music system. The first impression is that the Gotham is scary. During the setup process it actually shook the whole house. I have the listening room in the basement with Concrete walls and then 6 inches of insulation and acoustic drywalls. My wife doesn't care for HiFi and she came down from the third floor to see what the hell was going on. Seems that stuff was moving on the counter tops in the bathroom on the third floor. Scary....but kind of cool:D

I have only started but first up was SACD MCH Depeche Mode Playing the Angel, which has some bass.....like lots of bass. Wow, this thing is very musical and fast, which is what you need with ML Electrostats. Clear advantage goes to the Gotham over the Descent i, at least at first blush.....or should I say rush.

I have seen a lot of hype with JL subs and I gotta say so far it is well deserved. I ran the Room Correction software for the JL Sub and I think it really smoothed things out. And I think it cracked the foundation of the house.

I am listening to Elton John GBYBR and wow, there were some passages where the Descent i seemed to cover up some of the other instruments. The JL sounds natural, kind of like a sledge hammer driving a spike in to a rail road tie......okay more of a nuclear hammer driving a neutron in to a proton.

I am just getting started but I plan to go back through all my DVDa and SACD reference discs and then on to every disc and record I own. I think I am going to busy, I' ll let you know when I become bored.

Joe,

I will not accept any responsibility for structural damage when Pitch Black and Mr Fathom meet.:D

Justin

It's the Black Knight Mr. Gotham not Mr. Fathom, Mr Fathom is light on his feet compared to Mr. Gotham.:D

I had the neighbor over to hear the new Gotham, since he was kind enough to lend his son and both their backs to get the Gotham into the basement. With packing the Gotham wieghed in at just over 500 pounds, and that ain't English money.:D

Anyway, I am going to have to post a health warning on the entrance to the basement. WARNING:No small children, no pacemakers, no hearing aids, no $hit my neighbor almost had a heart attack some of the things coming out of the Gohtam scared him for real.

Actually scared me a little bit, I feared the foundation might collapse and the house on top of us. I heard low level frequencies that I did not know were on Pink Floyd, thrilling and scary all at the same time.

I am on to Pocupine Tree the Incident, I hope I don't have one, ok maybe a little incident will do and then I will try Pitch Black, I will let you know Justin.

Last edited:
Well, Jimoe, I'm not too good at names at the mo, maybe Mr Fathgoth will be lenient to your real estate investment when South Of The Line hits him, but I wouldn't like to bet on it...:)

More seriously, this sounds like a real subwoofer, by the sound of things, if you catch my drift.:D

It's the Black Knight Mr. Gotham not Mr. Fathom, Mr Fathom is light on his feet compared to Mr. Gotham.:D

I had the neighbor over to hear the new Gotham, since he was kind enough to lend his son and both their backs to get the Gotham into the basement. With packing the Gotham wieghed in at just over 500 pounds, and that ain't English money.:D

Anyway, I am going to have to post a health warning on the entrance to the basement. WARNING:No small children, no pacemakers, no hearing aids, no $hit my neighbor almost had a heart attack some of the things coming out of the Gohtam scared him for real.

Actually scared me a little bit, I feared the foundation might collapse and the house on top of us. I heard low level frequencies that I did not know were on Pink Floyd, thrilling and scary all at the same time.

I am on to Pocupine Tree the Incident, I hope I don't have one, ok maybe a little incident will do and then I will try Pitch Black, I will let you know Justin.

Glad to see you are enjoying the Gotham!

Seriously, just because the JL's are so easy to run in slave mode, if you feel so inclined, you could get a pair of F110's to run in the rear corners, just let the ARO do the work, but you're 95% of the way there with the Gotham.

I think "Scary" summed it up perfectly!

Have fun...

Olay let me make sure I have this right, so you think I should run a slave XLR cable to the back of the room and put two F110s slaved to each other with XLR cables which would cover the CLXs in the back and then leave the Gotham up front between the CLXs in front.

Jeff you are an enabler, if I had any other kind of addiction the doctor's would prevent me from seeing, hearing, or even reading you.:D

Seriously, do you think it would get better with more JLs slaved to the Gotham?

Isn't there such a thing as having to much base? Depending on the size of the room, dosen't that determine the size of the subwoofer? My f113 is behind my seating area. I think a Gothom would be to much at that location even though it fires outward 29' into the dining room area.

Last edited:
subwoofer behind seating area at the corner.

Attachments

• sub woofer location 002.jpg
    sub woofer location 002.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 241
Back