Introduction, Induction and Suggestions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2600

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been interested in ML's for quite some time now, but have not been in a position, for one reason or several others, to end up with them. I have been passionate about audio since childhood. Indeed, i traded Legos for synthesizers when i was 13, and spent all day listening to the new sounds and timbres that could be created. When it came to audio playback systems, I had my first serious listen to ESL's and was amazed nearly a decade later. I've had a mid-fi setup since then.

As such, i am dearly interested in your opinions - now that i am about ready to move into my first house and have some financial space set aside for speakers... I'd like your advice. A few specifics:

• Equipment:
    Currently, the amp which will power the ML's is an Aragon 4004 Mk ii. The pre amp is a custom / diy tube job. I am willing to upgrade the amplification, but only if it is worth it given the rest of the bullet points below...
  • Common listening:
    When seated and ready to listen for a while, i usually end up going in one of three directions:
    1) Delicate music such as Lisa Gerard and Dead Can Dance - solo female vocals and minimal acoustic instruments or more conventional bands who come close to that ethos. I know ML's will excel here.
    2) Electronic and Avant Garde - early Kraftwerk and Violator era Depeche Mode will show up for weeks at a time, as will Gyorgy Ligeti and Einsturzende Neubauten.
    3) Industrial music - Skinny Puppy, SPK, Coil, etc... where the music must be immensely dynamic or else all hope is lost in appreciating it. Can ML's be powered by an Aragon 4004 Mk ii and achieve this? Or should i consider some of the newer self-powered models?
  • Budget:
    I am willing to spend about $2k for used ML speakers - of course if you would suggest a bit more for some classics or even new models, or for an amp to power them, i am open to suggestion.
  • Preview
    I have not been able to really listen to a decent pair of ML's - just a few minutes here and there and some extrapolating from other ESL experiences. Now that i am ready to buy something, i find myself in rural MD - nowhere near a dealer. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any and all advice in advance.

~2000 -> Ascent i with good panels / SL3 + new panels

Welcome.

Yep - with that budget I'd be looking at Ascents or SL3s - but make sure you budget for new panels unless they are brand new.

As for the amp - you may need to upgrade. MLs are a serious load on an amplifier and a good, stable one is essential. The best way is to try with what you've got first. Then, try to home-audition an upgrade and see for yourself what change it makes. Beware that there are some great amps out there that simply do not take well to an ES load!

I haven't heard an Aragon 4004, but I use an 8008 with my summits and it works quite well. I used to use it with my Ascents and it sounded good there, too.

Back