Inching closer to a Summit X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ModWrights are astounding. I bought two and configured each for Mono. As such, they drive 600W per channel which the CLXs seem to slop up like a thristy dog (OK, horrible analogy). But having had a pair of 70W KT88 based tubed monos previously, it didn't take too long to realize I was under powering the speakers. Moving to big watts is (IMO) the right thing to do with CLXs.

Cheers

I completely agree. I spent a few hours one day testing some of my amps on the CLX's. I tried a 125 watt/channel Proceed amp, the 300 watt per channel Bryston 4B-SST^2, the 600 watt per channel Bryston 7B-SST, and finally the winner an still champion Bryston 28B-SST^2 measuring 1300 watts per channel at clipping. YMMV. The more the power the better the sound no matter what the volume. (IMHO)

Gary

Re Q3 I spent 2 full days from dusk till dawn at the Munich show in May and the Q3 without a doubt was nearly if not the best sound in 2 different installations. I did not get a chance to listen to the Q1 but I am sure its up there.

Hm... I described them as M3s in my report for some reason.:D

I thought the were pretty good - but in the Devialet room whenever I was in there - just not a good room layout to judge them in, and they were always at a low volume. In the room with Soulution amps - much better. But that was some seriously expensive driving hardware.

There were a few rooms I enjoyed quite a bit more, though. Trios, AudioNecs, Tidal with Absoluta amps, Wisdom, MBL, probably the Silbatone room, the Music Concrete horns... etc. The last two - I wouldn't live with either - but they sure were enjoyable rooms, if you catch my drift.

The ModWrights are astounding. I bought two and configured each for Mono. As such, they drive 600W per channel which the CLXs seem to slop up like a thristy dog (OK, horrible analogy). But having had a pair of 70W KT88 based tubed monos previously, it didn't take too long to realize I was under powering the speakers. Moving to big watts is (IMO) the right thing to do with CLXs.

Cheers

I'd imagine 600W will help the CLX in the slam dept, too. When I heard the CLX, they were driven by Jadis JA200s - a fair a mount of power, but they aren't the most transient inspired amps to say the least. But they did produce a very sumptuous, enjoyable sound.

In any event, the DMA 260 is my next logical amp choice, although your 360 mono blocks are an attractive alternative. It may not have the latest thinking in it from Spectral, but it is hard to beat in many ways.

The 360s Series II have more control than the 260 - and they are both extra-ordinary achievements. RE cables - yes, I keep hearing what the Oracle MA's do for Spectral amps, and indeed Spectral have recommended to me either the MIT/Spectral cables or the Oracle MA's, but the cost leaves me cold, and yes there is _difference_ but not necessarily improvement. Others are now raving about the Oracle MA-x rev 2 (at $35K???)... it never ends... I haven't lost it yet :D Cables are a racket to me.

Did not realize that you needed to buy the CLX filter for the subwoofers. Thanks for enlightening me on that! Are the filters user installable, or does ML need to put them in?

User installable/screwupable. (fairly simple outpatient procedure really. ML ships you the card, you do the minor surgery at home). Still though, they are WAAAYYY overpriced for what they are (the filters I mean)... although I suppose that applies to some of my previous romantic relationships as well.

I'd imagine 600W will help the CLX in the slam dept, too. When I heard the CLX, they were driven by Jadis JA200s - a fair a mount of power, but they aren't the most transient inspired amps to say the least. But they did produce a very sumptuous, enjoyable sound.

What the *&%$??? This sounds an awful lot like geniune soul-searched praise. Do my forum-crazed eyes deceive me? ... wait, let me re-read, hold on..................... yep, there it is "sumptuous, enjoyable sound". And stated without any hyperbolistic Apogee comparative analysis. This newer, gentler User211... I'm hesitant to use the word "bromance"... but it's not far from the tip of my tongue ;)

BTW, the Apogees do completely rock out. If I'm being completely honest, when properly aligned and powered, they are amongst the world's best. And I'm not just reciprocating.

Cheers Mate

What the *&%$??? This sounds an awful lot like geniune soul-searched praise. Do my forum-crazed eyes deceive me? ... wait, let me re-read, hold on..................... yep, there it is "sumptuous, enjoyable sound". And stated without any hyperbolistic Apogee comparative analysis. This newer, gentler User211... I'm hesitant to use the word "bromance"... but it's not far from the tip of my tongue ;)

BTW, the Apogees do completely rock out. If I'm being completely honest, when properly aligned and powered, they are amongst the world's best. And I'm not just reciprocating.

Cheers Mate

Noooooooo Todd I was on about the amps being good... not the speakers! One strives for understanding... but rarely is one truly understood:ROFL:

Noooooooo Todd I was on about the amps being good... not the speakers! One strives for understanding... but rarely is one truly understood:ROFL:

Ahhhh, then we're back to "normal". (though I won't retract my statement about the Apogees).

The surest thing about communication is that it will almost always somehow be misinterpretted ;)

BTW, the heatwave here in the states has found us here in the Northeast. While it is summer, and we should expect a slight mercurial rise, there are an awful lot of heat records melting away these last several days. Accuweather tells me it's in the mid 50s (F) there in Bristol... about half what it is here abouts. Stepping outside here is like stepping through a teleporter into Guatemala.

BTW, the heatwave here in the states has found us here in the Northeast. While it is summer, and we should expect a slight mercurial rise, there are an awful lot of heat records melting away these last several days. Accuweather tells me it's in the mid 50s (F) there in Bristol... about half what it is here abouts. Stepping outside here is like stepping through a teleporter into Guatemala.

Summer here appears to be largely cancelled. However, I have the day off, and am currently surfing away, listening to Spotify via the M&Ds, in search of some new fab music. Got me some Bauri playing at the moment - Slacker Journal. Not too bad electronica - pretty laid back but quite enjoyable.

Was contemplating a trip to Denver for RMAF too - but the wife seems keener on a hotel with a view over Vesuvius. That doesn't appear to be in Denver. However, I spent all my money on a bottle of port Bernard recommended...:D Not!

Which reminds me Bernard - isn't there a cheaper but still good bottle of B. available?

I always did like my Logans with toobies, though.

When I had the KT88s (via Prima Lunas) driving the CLXs, the sound was ab-fab... only problem was headroom/compression during "live level" playback. Everything else was sparkling and insanely good. Moving to the MWs retained all that crystal clarity, but also completely and utterly resolved the headroom problem. As Alladin would gush, "A whole new world.... a great fantastic point of view". That's right, I said it.

Justin,

Given your inclination for geeky stuff like audiphilia, and your obvious penchant for humo(u)r... I have to recommend Simon Pegg's new book: "Nerd Do Well". I just finished it yesterday. One of the most entertaining bios I've read in a long time. That boy can write, and right funny writing it is. He interleaves his life recollections with (what I found to be) an hilarious bit of 007 like fiction "starring" him and his robotic butler "Canterbury". Great fun all around (IMO) and highly recommended - assuming you can disengage from the all powerful WWW.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nerd-Do-Wel...8112/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311344439&sr=8-2

Cheers

Back